9+1 Reasons Why It's A Burden To Have A Pet

This is actually a response to zombiebabe's MyTake here .

Personally I can't imagine how my life would be if I had a pet, and I consider myself lucky that my parents didn't want any pets either. I believe my life would be extremely difficult if there was a pet in our house.

(In alphabetical order)

1) A waste of money

You don't get pets for free. You have to spend money for their food, or you have to bring them to a vet if in case they are sick, etc. Less money for you. Not to mention you have to pay a lot for everything they destroy (see below).

2) Destroyed home

Pets don't function by logic. Not to mention till you teach them to do their job, you will have some of your carpets wet...if you know what I mean. You'll never know how many fragile items you are going to have destroyed because of them. You have to put more effort into cleaning your home from now on, and pay more money of course in order to repair all the damages.

3) Get infected

Pets aren't the cleanest creatures on earth. And they carry many viruses on their own as well. So when you hug them or even sleep with them (yes there are some people who do that), those viruses might get into you.

4) Get yourself in trouble

Imagine you have a cat. As we all know, all cats love to chase mice. So imagine you are in a store and your cat detects a mouse. The cat chases the mouse and during the chase your cat destroys the store! Of course the store owner won't blame the cat, but the cat's owner. YOU!

5) Get yourself injured

Is there anybody that can guarantee you, if you have a dog for example, it won't bite you? Nobody can guarantee you that obviously. Animals function by instincts. So the dog might think you are someone else, and have yourself bitten.

6) Insomnia

Can you get an easy sleep when you have a pet around you? Won't you feel like... What if it pisses off on me when I sleep? What if it bites me when I sleep? Sounds like you have to stay alert constantly.

7) People you know might start avoiding you

If you have a pet doesn't mean everyone will accept it. There might be some people who won't like having your cat/dog climb on their lap. So they will avoid coming into your home if you have your pet roaming around. A pet is another factor that might lead to break-up as well.

8. Pets are NOT friends

I have heard and seen people talking to them. Talking to a pet is crazy in my opinion, and the person who does must have some problem. It's not normal to talk to a creature that won't give you a response. Talking to a pet it's like talking to a tree more or less. There's NO communication between a human and an animal. If you start doing this then consider there's something wrong with you. In other words pets will make you lose touch with reality.

9) Time consuming

You have to spend time for your pet if you have a pet. You have to feed it, you have to clean it, you have to take it for a walk. Less time for yourself in other words.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the 1 reason, that sums up everything:

Excessive stress

The main reason to avoid having a pet is this. You have to run behind it every single moment, and fix everything that destroys on its passing. You won't get a moment of rest if you have a pet roaming around your house freely. In other words having a pet in your home = stressful life guaranteed.

PS: No it's not satire. I'm dead serious.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Girls Said 26

• Lol your take is so biased and the last point is just straight out wrong.

In fact, pets (dogs and cats especially) have been proven to be a stress reliever.
    animalsmart.org/.../dogs-help-reduce-stress

Also: "Dog owners walk more and have lower blood pressure than people who don't have dogs. Pets can also be good for you if you already have heart problems. Heart attack survivors and people with serious abnormal heart rhythms who own dogs live longer than people with the same heart problems who don't have pets, studies show."

www.news.com.au/.../b12a490b2eee1991ab9a1a36ec8b88f2

• 1) Hobbies can also be expensive, pet can kind of be regarded as a hobby
    2) This is indeed inevitable to some degree with puppies and kittens. This problem dissappears if you train your animal well. If you do not want to put effort in this, don't get a pet.
    3) Very little diseases are contagious from animals to humans (google "Zoonosis"). The odds of getting sick through your pet is very small if you take care of it well (veterinary care).
    4) Who the hell takes their cat grocery shopping? Most stores will also not allow your dog if you do not put it on a leash.
    5) Dogs won't bite you if you treat them lovingly, get them from a good breeder and train them right. Cats will probably scratch or bite you at some point (probably veterinary visit), and this might get infected
    6) Again, with proper training, this won't happen. Besides, my pets sleep in the living room or outside. Never in my bedroom.
    7) I think this is only the case with muslims or people with allergies. Most people love pets and the odds are greater that more people will come to your home.
    8) Pets understand a few words (e. g. "walking time", their name, commands) and a lot from the tone of your voice. It is indeed weird to talk to your dog about accounting, but if your dog or cat understands your mood if you raise your voice or act happy. Pets often understand us better then we understand them.
    9) Indeed, animals need a lot of love and time. But again, a pet is a hobby and a lot of people like spending time on their hobbies. However, unlike a hobby as stamp collecting, you cannot stop one day just because you're bored with it. It's a living creature which you're set up with for 7 to 20 years.

It's clear that you have some misunderstandings from pets. I agree that pets need a lot of effort, time, unconditional love and money. Anyone who is not willing to provide these things, should NEVER get a pet. This would prevent a lot of animal abuse and neglect. I am grateful that you do not want to half heartedly get a living creature into your home and that you have been trying to think things through.

• Didn't get this one about Muslims. Do they dislike pets? Never heard about it.

• They tend to be scared of dogs because they're "cursed" (some history with a parasite in that used to be active that community some centuries ago). However, they have no issues with cats. Our pizza delivery guys (muslim) are often too scared to leave their cars because of our two harmless senior dogs XD

• I have two dogs and a cat and they are a joy to have, despite having to wash their stinky fur, feed them, and walk them. They give me their unconditional love in return which is more than I could ask for. :)

I wouldn't have it any other way. Better than kids, but I may change my mind later.

• 1) Yes like anything, shit costs money
    2) Never happened with any of my animals. I've had them all since they were babies.. Maybe they peed once. Probably it, learn how to train your pet
    3) If you take care of your pet, this has about a 0.00001% chance of happening
    4) Who the hell takes a cat into any store besides a pet store. In that case they would understand lmao
    5) Most animals are domesticated, establish dominance and your fine. My dog nibbles on my hand whenever he wants something... omg my dog is hurting me... darn
    6) If you're that paranoid about an animal, I feel sorry for you
    7) Pets make me want to go to someone's house I love them lol
    8) People can somewhat communicate with animals.. you need to have a pet to understand this. It's like having a baby understand you and communicate
    9) Like any hobby, it takes time. Animals promote a healthy lifestyle so I'm down lol
    It feels as if you're adding stress and freaking out when you don't need to. Honestly having a pet is like a lot of things. Not to mention that a lot of these things can be applied to children or even a relationship.. Do you not want a family either?

• Yeah I don't want kids. I'm 25 I've made up my mind.

• It's difficult to find someone who can agree with me at least 90% if not 100%.

• "Who the hell takes a cat into a store" IKR? I was trying to picture that...
      On a leash? 😂😂

• Pets are only a burden if you aren't willing to take care of them, which you are not. So this take should really be titled "9+1 Reasons Why I Don't Want A Pet". I love my dog. She's helped me through a lot of dark times and she's doing it now. I'm not alone when I'm in my apartment. Someone is always happy to see me. Someone is always going to love me. I can't speak for others who have pets, but my dog is my friend.

With all the things she's (unknowingly) done for me, I think I can get over a pee stain on the carpet and a once a year vet bill.

• I used to have 3 cats, yes they rip the furniture to shreds and when you want to go on holiday you've got to get someone to look after them. My mind was never at ease, had to keep phoning my aunt to see if they were alright. If they develop illnesses youve got to fork out for ops and medication. They were good company and i really miss them. I dont agree that they are stressful. I actually felt more stressed since i lost them. Sometimes I preferred the company of my pets rather than humans. Lol. They can listen but they can't talk back you. I wouldn't get anymore pets though. It was heart breaking when they passed away.

• unless you're taking care of a race horse, owning a pet shouldn't cost too much, and it's worth it. you could also say the same thing about having a child.

makes your friends become distant? my friends love my pets, sometimes they visit me just to see them.

never in my entire life I suffered from insomnia because of a pet. maybe had to wake up one at 4am to let me cat inside but then I got right back to sleep.

also get injured? lmao please you're making it seem like every pet acts like a fucking enraged bear. the worst injury I've ever gotten from an animal (and this comes from a fucking zookeeper) is a few claw scratches that left a small scar, from, you know, a freaking wild fox. from a pet? eh, they bite sometimes, it's more annoying than it actually hurts. if your pet is a pet that gets you seriously injured, it's probably a pet you shouldn't have gotten in the first place.

won't listen to you? tell that to my dog who cuddled me and licked me when I cried and felt extremely bad. yeah obviously you can't have a chit chat with your pets but they're so goddamn loving.

in conclusion you're an asshole, also the fact you're too lazy to even treat taking care of animals as something that's too hard, really shows how 'responsible' you are.

• Another pessimist sad about life. It's either negativity about kids or pets.

• You didn't have to state that you've never owned a pet as that fact is made clear as day in the rest of the take. My dogs have never destroyed anything, they've never peed/pooped in the house, and they don't do half the shit you think pets do, because they were trained properly. Leave us pet owners alone.

It's probably best if you don't reproduce either. If this is how you feel about pets, I can't even imagine how you feel about children.

• Biassed take... I have lived both with and without pets. I have been through the heartache of the loss of 4 of my pets (that I was old enough to remember). I can't change your opinion but mine is that my life is personally much more enjoyable with pets.

P. s. there is communication between animals and humans. Cats only meow to communicate with humans. my cat often walks into the room meowing what sounds like mum and if we say she's not in here she will walk out and go find her.

• Nobody takes their cats to the store. They wouldn't even be allowed in the store anyway. Most stores don't allow pets.

• that's not true... I gave away my cat because I couldn't keep him anymore. it was the worst decision of my life.

• Lmao I can see you have no pet experience.
    Pets are like children, but without the extremely long commitment. The costs depend on your bed, they actually reduce stress and if someone wouldn't like me because I have a pet I wouldn't want to be around that person anyways.

• Isn't having a boyfriend/girlfriend them same thing then? Having a baby?
    Everything comes with stress.

• This is a pretty radical viewpoint

• Half of these reasons have a 1 out of 1,000 chance of happening. Some I can understand, but the rest seems like you just tried to find anything as to why pets are a "burden".

• Well, then you definitely should not be a pet owner.

• This take is complete bullshit. You're just upset because nobody ever loved you.

• I hate people who hate pets. You should be a coldest men and a career man who don't want children and hate women

• If you think that owning a pet is a burden then don't have a pet. First of all "they'll infect you" only if you don't vaccinate them. That's why vaccines are important and don't let them near wild animals. Second of all "imagine you took your cat to the store and detected a mouse." Third of all its against the law to bring pets into the store unless it's a service dog. And fourth of all, as their owner, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KNOWING BETTER, NOT YOUR PET. Animals don't know what's dangerous and wrong for them. If you are more concerned about your belongings and furniture, then don't own a fucking pet. Pets do not make you lonely or lose touch with reality, they can make you feel better and reduce your stress levels, it's been proven by science. In fact lonely people own pets because they're companions that will always stay by your side and make people happy. No one is going to avoid you for owning a pet, they may not visit you as often due to allergies. Trying to avoid a life threatening allergic reaction is different than avoiding someone on purpose to hurt them. Also, an animal is going to bite you only if you try to provoke it or you don't train it properly. You sound very neurotic and paranoid by the way.

• More from Girls
    6

What Guys Said 19

• You clearly have no idea what you're talking about whatsoever. But that's ok though. Somebody who thinks like you shouldn't have a pet anyway. I'm glad a dog will never have to deal with you☺️

• 10. True
    9. Domestic training is the answer
    8. Actually it's good that pets are slightly unhygienic - that small bit of exposure improves your immune system
    7. Oh yes, I can empathise with that one. Still, it's character building ;)
    6. Humans you choose to let in your life can be just as dangerous, if not more so. At least with animals you get to domesticate and socialise them.
    5. If you have a dog, it's worse when they're a puppy. As long as you're walking them, feeding them, etc. grown dogs will just chill out and leave you alone at night. For cats and other pets, I don't have much experience.
    4. Good riddance.
    3. Talking to, petting and being around animals is highly therapeutic and 10 x more simple than trying to talk to humans sometimes.
    2. True, but you get more efficient and it just becomes any other chore. Also feeding it doesn't take that long, you don't really need to wash your dog that often. The main thing that is time consuming is walking it, but who cares: you get out of the house and enjoy a breath of fresh air, maybe socialise with other dog walkers. 10 x more productive than typing a take like this on the internet.
    1. You also learn to deal with stress constructively which is a very positive and healthy trait. Also, stress is minimised if you're pet is well domesticated.

• First off, who in hell brings a cat to a store?

You've never had a dog, and it's painfully obvious. Dogs are extremely loyal and affectionate. They are capable of unconditional love, something that most humans are not.

Pretty much everything you said can be applied to children as well. Are you never going to have a family?

• Yeah I don't want any kids.

• And I've seen some bringing their cats in.

• Ahah fck this man. I'm about to get a German Shepherd Pup. Naming him Romo.. we gon be badasses together

• a.abcnews.com/.../gty_pet_rock_150401_4x3_992.jpg
    WTF man? can't me and my pet just live in peace without cucks like you saying one thing after another against our way of life?

• You forgot to mention its just your opinion.

I sort of knew what I was getting into when I got my pup when he was just 3 months old. Yes, I do have to wipe his piss off the floor and pick up his shit for the rest of his life but I love the naughty little bugger!

• Well, I have a pet rabbit and a parrot, both of them are perfectly harmless and not very demanding pets ;)

• I totally agree with it. I don't want to keep pets and avoid pet owners too.

• Because they're stupid and smell bad...

• Just get a goldfish. Problems solved.

• Pets, a waste of money? maybe its time your started looking for a real job?

• As someone who has had pets all his life
    i have never felt this way

• Nah, I'm still getting a pet giraffe someday

• lol no I have ever wanted to be friends with has been scared of my dog

• Hmm guess I raised my pet quite well cuz I have no issues with all these reasons you mentioned.

• better than having a kid , short term wise.

• I like animals in general and exercise but I know first hand growing up with a dog that there a lot of work and I have enough work to do without getting pets or kids.
    A pet or kid would mean giving up other things that would help me to be successful or happy like a gym class or group i'm part of.
    I also feel bad that it's not got a more interesting life and that it's so much shorter and will always be dependent on me though it's an easy life provided nothing happens to me that is it's still got no freedom.

• Yeah it is a lot of work and a big responsibility, that's why I have plants instead, they are no bother to anyone and all they need is water
    If you want a pet, get a plant!

• Well, this is %90 accurate and the fact that pets are time and money consumers makes me feel stressed all the time. Last month I have spent $400 on cats food and another $180 for vet. Things get worse when your cat get seriously ill and requires an intensive care and a large set of medics. Speaking of damages, there's a countless occasions where they destroyed my laptop and another one climbing on my brand new LED tv.. and several incidents breaking dishes in the middle of the night. Owning a cat is like owning a machine made to destroy your expensive clothes and ruin your home furniture beside getting injured. No but thanks

• Then why do you still have your cats if they're giving you so much trouble? Give them to a rescue who can find someone who actually wants the cat.

• If they destroy everything then why do you still keep them? Honestly you should give them away cause clearly you are not a resposible owner and you can't seem to train your pets. You should give them to someone else who actually has the time to train them and take care of them unlike you. Like @musicbrain5 mentioned, find someone that actually wants them. You're only wasting your own time and money by keeping something that you don't want to take care of.

• @Sasha_Kotelenets wish I can but they're not mine.