9+1 Reasons Why It's A Burden To Have A Pet

This is actually a response to zombiebabe's MyTake here .

Personally I can't imagine how my life would be if I had a pet, and I consider myself lucky that my parents didn't want any pets either. I believe my life would be extremely difficult if there was a pet in our house.

(In alphabetical order)

1) A waste of money

You don't get pets for free. You have to spend money for their food, or you have to bring them to a vet if in case they are sick, etc. Less money for you. Not to mention you have to pay a lot for everything they destroy (see below).

2) Destroyed home

Pets don't function by logic. Not to mention till you teach them to do their job, you will have some of your carpets wet...if you know what I mean. You'll never know how many fragile items you are going to have destroyed because of them. You have to put more effort into cleaning your home from now on, and pay more money of course in order to repair all the damages.

3) Get infected

Pets aren't the cleanest creatures on earth. And they carry many viruses on their own as well. So when you hug them or even sleep with them (yes there are some people who do that), those viruses might get into you.

4) Get yourself in trouble

Imagine you have a cat. As we all know, all cats love to chase mice. So imagine you are in a store and your cat detects a mouse. The cat chases the mouse and during the chase your cat destroys the store! Of course the store owner won't blame the cat, but the cat's owner. YOU!

5) Get yourself injured

Is there anybody that can guarantee you, if you have a dog for example, it won't bite you? Nobody can guarantee you that obviously. Animals function by instincts. So the dog might think you are someone else, and have yourself bitten.

6) Insomnia

Can you get an easy sleep when you have a pet around you? Won't you feel like... What if it pisses off on me when I sleep? What if it bites me when I sleep? Sounds like you have to stay alert constantly.

7) People you know might start avoiding you

If you have a pet doesn't mean everyone will accept it. There might be some people who won't like having your cat/dog climb on their lap. So they will avoid coming into your home if you have your pet roaming around. A pet is another factor that might lead to break-up as well.

8. Pets are NOT friends

I have heard and seen people talking to them. Talking to a pet is crazy in my opinion, and the person who does must have some problem. It's not normal to talk to a creature that won't give you a response. Talking to a pet it's like talking to a tree more or less. There's NO communication between a human and an animal. If you start doing this then consider there's something wrong with you. In other words pets will make you lose touch with reality.

9) Time consuming

You have to spend time for your pet if you have a pet. You have to feed it, you have to clean it, you have to take it for a walk. Less time for yourself in other words.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the 1 reason, that sums up everything:

Excessive stress

The main reason to avoid having a pet is this. You have to run behind it every single moment, and fix everything that destroys on its passing. You won't get a moment of rest if you have a pet roaming around your house freely. In other words having a pet in your home = stressful life guaranteed.

PS: No it's not satire. I'm dead serious.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 26

• Pets are only a burden if you aren't willing to take care of them, which you are not. So this take should really be titled "9+1 Reasons Why I Don't Want A Pet". I love my dog. She's helped me through a lot of dark times and she's doing it now. I'm not alone when I'm in my apartment. Someone is always happy to see me. Someone is always going to love me. I can't speak for others who have pets, but my dog is my friend.

With all the things she's (unknowingly) done for me, I think I can get over a pee stain on the carpet and a once a year vet bill.

• I have two dogs and a cat and they are a joy to have, despite having to wash their stinky fur, feed them, and walk them. They give me their unconditional love in return which is more than I could ask for. :)

I wouldn't have it any other way. Better than kids, but I may change my mind later.

• Well, then you definitely should not be a pet owner.

• Isn't having a boyfriend/girlfriend them same thing then? Having a baby?
    Everything comes with stress.

• I hate people who hate pets. You should be a coldest men and a career man who don't want children and hate women

• This take is complete bullshit. You're just upset because nobody ever loved you.

• If you think that owning a pet is a burden then don't have a pet. First of all "they'll infect you" only if you don't vaccinate them. That's why vaccines are important and don't let them near wild animals. Second of all "imagine you took your cat to the store and detected a mouse." Third of all its against the law to bring pets into the store unless it's a service dog. And fourth of all, as their owner, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KNOWING BETTER, NOT YOUR PET. Animals don't know what's dangerous and wrong for them. If you are more concerned about your belongings and furniture, then don't own a fucking pet. Pets do not make you lonely or lose touch with reality, they can make you feel better and reduce your stress levels, it's been proven by science. In fact lonely people own pets because they're companions that will always stay by your side and make people happy. No one is going to avoid you for owning a pet, they may not visit you as often due to allergies. Trying to avoid a life threatening allergic reaction is different than avoiding someone on purpose to hurt them. Also, an animal is going to bite you only if you try to provoke it or you don't train it properly. You sound very neurotic and paranoid by the way.

• Nobody takes their cats to the store. They wouldn't even be allowed in the store anyway. Most stores don't allow pets.

• This is a pretty radical viewpoint

• Biassed take... I have lived both with and without pets. I have been through the heartache of the loss of 4 of my pets (that I was old enough to remember). I can't change your opinion but mine is that my life is personally much more enjoyable with pets.

P. s. there is communication between animals and humans. Cats only meow to communicate with humans. my cat often walks into the room meowing what sounds like mum and if we say she's not in here she will walk out and go find her.

• I have to disagree with you on everything. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion though. I have had dozens of pets through out my life.. I only have one dog as of right now, and he's a service dog. A three year old German Shepard named Zeus. He is very well behaved, is better at following directions and rules than most people. I take him out in public everyday and have never had him once misbehave or "wreck" anything. In fact he stays RIGHT beside me, doesn't make eye contact with anyone (because in public he's "working") and does exactly what he's trained to do. He understands what I say and replies back by head bobs, barks and pointing with his nose and sometimes paw. He helps around the house (he picks up clothes, can open and shut doors, turn off and on lights, etc.) He, and no other dog, has ever bitten me. He sleeps through the night by my bed and I can honestly say I feel very safe with him because he does protect me. He keeps me calm, relieves anxiety and stress. Taking care of him isn't a problem or hassle. He goes on runs with me everyday, I feed him when I'm about to eat and it only takes less than a minute, and bathing him can be fun. A pet is a companion, a friend and they love you more than they love them self. Zeus has put himself in harms way without thinking twice because he wanted to protect me. When I have a bad day he seems to know and always manages to put a smile on my face. And unlike people, they won't ever turn on you and the only time they hurt you is when they pass. The only kind of animals that do harm their owners are over-bred and have poor genetics.

• Not being able to sleep at night because you are worried about your pet disturbing your rug or chewing your arm off is a little neurotic. If you'd ever owned a pet, you might be a little more relaxed. Pets are actually great stress relievers, and owning a pet can be very therapeutic. It also encourages people to exercise, and pet owners have been proven to have longer life spans.

• Another pessimist sad about life. It's either negativity about kids or pets.

• I used to have 3 cats, yes they rip the furniture to shreds and when you want to go on holiday you've got to get someone to look after them. My mind was never at ease, had to keep phoning my aunt to see if they were alright. If they develop illnesses youve got to fork out for ops and medication. They were good company and i really miss them. I dont agree that they are stressful. I actually felt more stressed since i lost them. Sometimes I preferred the company of my pets rather than humans. Lol. They can listen but they can't talk back you. I wouldn't get anymore pets though. It was heart breaking when they passed away.

• Everything you described a DOG does and who in their right mind brings a cat or dog for that matter to the store? I have a cat and she isn't expensive or destructive. She has never pissed anywhere except the litter box. Wanna know whats expensive and destructive? Children (mic drop) lolol

• Half of these reasons have a 1 out of 1,000 chance of happening. Some I can understand, but the rest seems like you just tried to find anything as to why pets are a "burden".

• that's not true... I gave away my cat because I couldn't keep him anymore. it was the worst decision of my life.

• Lol your take is so biased and the last point is just straight out wrong.

In fact, pets (dogs and cats especially) have been proven to be a stress reliever.
    animalsmart.org/.../dogs-help-reduce-stress

Also: "Dog owners walk more and have lower blood pressure than people who don't have dogs. Pets can also be good for you if you already have heart problems. Heart attack survivors and people with serious abnormal heart rhythms who own dogs live longer than people with the same heart problems who don't have pets, studies show."

www.news.com.au/.../b12a490b2eee1991ab9a1a36ec8b88f2

• Who on earth takes their cat to a store? I can honestly say as a dog owner that you have no idea. My dog is almost 2 and he's brought love into my life I could never have experienced otherwise.
    Your points are misinformed. Why? You have never had a pet you are simply guessing what it's like to own one. What's worse is you have no idea about them if u think u can take a cat to a store 😂

• I'm wondering why this was promoted 😂

• @sixnineanon Not only Promoted but Featured. Learn that I'm an Editor here, which means they get promoted automatically.

• That explains everything :)

• Lmao I can see you have no pet experience.
    Pets are like children, but without the extremely long commitment. The costs depend on your bed, they actually reduce stress and if someone wouldn't like me because I have a pet I wouldn't want to be around that person anyways.

• More from Girls
    6

What Guys Said 19

• 10. True
    9. Domestic training is the answer
    8. Actually it's good that pets are slightly unhygienic - that small bit of exposure improves your immune system
    7. Oh yes, I can empathise with that one. Still, it's character building ;)
    6. Humans you choose to let in your life can be just as dangerous, if not more so. At least with animals you get to domesticate and socialise them.
    5. If you have a dog, it's worse when they're a puppy. As long as you're walking them, feeding them, etc. grown dogs will just chill out and leave you alone at night. For cats and other pets, I don't have much experience.
    4. Good riddance.
    3. Talking to, petting and being around animals is highly therapeutic and 10 x more simple than trying to talk to humans sometimes.
    2. True, but you get more efficient and it just becomes any other chore. Also feeding it doesn't take that long, you don't really need to wash your dog that often. The main thing that is time consuming is walking it, but who cares: you get out of the house and enjoy a breath of fresh air, maybe socialise with other dog walkers. 10 x more productive than typing a take like this on the internet.
    1. You also learn to deal with stress constructively which is a very positive and healthy trait. Also, stress is minimised if you're pet is well domesticated.

• As someone who has had pets all his life
    i have never felt this way

• I totally agree with it. I don't want to keep pets and avoid pet owners too.

• a.abcnews.com/.../gty_pet_rock_150401_4x3_992.jpg
    WTF man? can't me and my pet just live in peace without cucks like you saying one thing after another against our way of life?

• Just get a goldfish. Problems solved.

• Nah, I'm still getting a pet giraffe someday

• I like animals in general and exercise but I know first hand growing up with a dog that there a lot of work and I have enough work to do without getting pets or kids.
    A pet or kid would mean giving up other things that would help me to be successful or happy like a gym class or group i'm part of.
    I also feel bad that it's not got a more interesting life and that it's so much shorter and will always be dependent on me though it's an easy life provided nothing happens to me that is it's still got no freedom.

• lol no I have ever wanted to be friends with has been scared of my dog

• You forgot to mention its just your opinion.

I sort of knew what I was getting into when I got my pup when he was just 3 months old. Yes, I do have to wipe his piss off the floor and pick up his shit for the rest of his life but I love the naughty little bugger!

• Well, I have a pet rabbit and a parrot, both of them are perfectly harmless and not very demanding pets ;)

• Pets, a waste of money? maybe its time your started looking for a real job?

• Hmm guess I raised my pet quite well cuz I have no issues with all these reasons you mentioned.

• better than having a kid , short term wise.

• You clearly have no idea what you're talking about whatsoever. But that's ok though. Somebody who thinks like you shouldn't have a pet anyway. I'm glad a dog will never have to deal with you☺️

• Yeah it is a lot of work and a big responsibility, that's why I have plants instead, they are no bother to anyone and all they need is water
    If you want a pet, get a plant!

• Because they're stupid and smell bad...

• Ahah fck this man. I'm about to get a German Shepherd Pup. Naming him Romo.. we gon be badasses together

• Well, this is %90 accurate and the fact that pets are time and money consumers makes me feel stressed all the time. Last month I have spent $400 on cats food and another $180 for vet. Things get worse when your cat get seriously ill and requires an intensive care and a large set of medics. Speaking of damages, there's a countless occasions where they destroyed my laptop and another one climbing on my brand new LED tv.. and several incidents breaking dishes in the middle of the night. Owning a cat is like owning a machine made to destroy your expensive clothes and ruin your home furniture beside getting injured. No but thanks

• Then why do you still have your cats if they're giving you so much trouble? Give them to a rescue who can find someone who actually wants the cat.

• If they destroy everything then why do you still keep them? Honestly you should give them away cause clearly you are not a resposible owner and you can't seem to train your pets. You should give them to someone else who actually has the time to train them and take care of them unlike you. Like @musicbrain5 mentioned, find someone that actually wants them. You're only wasting your own time and money by keeping something that you don't want to take care of.

• @Sasha_Kotelenets wish I can but they're not mine.

• First off, who in hell brings a cat to a store?

You've never had a dog, and it's painfully obvious. Dogs are extremely loyal and affectionate. They are capable of unconditional love, something that most humans are not.

Pretty much everything you said can be applied to children as well. Are you never going to have a family?

• Yeah I don't want any kids.

• And I've seen some bringing their cats in.