Christina Grimmie: Gone Too Soon, And Why I'll Miss Her

Hey guys

I don't really write many MyTakes or any, but I'm going to use this to write down my feelings over the loss of Christina Grimmie, a singer who got shot in Orlando, Florida last weekend. A lot of people will know her from The Voice, others from YouTube.

I feel the need for myself to write this down. I don't expect anyone to read this, but I don't mind sharing it with those who do.

How I discovered her

I like covers of songs. When I find songs that I dislike, I'll try to find covers to see if someone can make me like the song through his/her version of it. (Christina made me like Wrecking Ball - Cyrus, and now when I hear the song, I'll picture her killing it at The Voice, instead of a naked girl wrecking ball and licking a hammer .-.)

I also look for different versions of songs which I do like and that's how I discovered Christina Grimmie. I looked up her cover of "Fireflies"

She was a natural. She played the keyboard which is one of my favorite instruments and she has such a powerful voice. Her low notes, the high notes, the power. She really reminded me of Celine Dion when she raised her voice.

From then I became a fan of her and she was one of the few artists who I actively followed on Youtube (She sang with Sam Tsui too who's also a Youtuber I really like).

This next cover will always be one of my favorites:

A loss..

I found out of her when I wanted to upload a picture online. I saw her being praised, I was smiling and I continued to read, but then it seemed to be an update of what went down earlier that day :(

I checked video after video....checking comment after comments....hoping that it was a lie.

I still got trouble realizing what happened.

Remember her

Many of us probably lost someone we really cared about before, it sucks. But for me this is the very first time that I've been so heartbroken over the loss of someone who is like famous. When a known person dies, I'd feel sad, but I didn't really know them, as a person and A few days later, I could keep on doing what I was doing and feel 'fine'.

I became a fan of Christina Grimmie and I got to know her. I saw her progress over the years and 'The Voice' really made me teary, because she made it, because she had gone so far. I wasn't nervous like "I hope she makes it through the audition", but more like "Go Get 'Em, Girl", and all Four coaches turned around :)

That's why it hurts so much, because I got to know her, but I'm so glad that I did.
Apart from being very talented she was also very goofy, innocent, humble and kind, was into anime and gaming too, and she was very outspoken of her religion, and didn't judge anyone. A real example to us all.She was taken away from us too soon :/

I am writing this because it might help me find some closure for this 'heartache' I'm having, but also to allow the new people to get to know her a little more. Not just as an artist, but as the kind person she was.

Thanks for your time.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 10

• I didn't know anything about her until reading this but it's really sad and so senseless what happened to her and how bad the world is becoming lately, it feels like we're moving backwards.

• I have to admit the way Christina Grimmie died affected me WAY more than it should have. I have been avoividing to post anything about Grimmie, but now I've decided to openly admit that I have thoughts about this horror that happened. Seriously, I can't think of a more tragic way to die. What makes it more sad is that her death didn't even happen by accident, it was intentional. Dying from a murder, yikes!
    If she was in a private place with only her and her murderer, and got shot, it wouldn't be even as half as horrifying to what actually happened. Shooting someone next to a crowd of people is a terrifying nightmare come to life. If I only heard that Christina Grimmie died and that's it, I would say "well, it's sad that we will all die one day, may she rest in peace", and I probably wouldn't even bother know how she died. Unfortunately, I had to know the ugly part of the news first. It hit me like a slap on the face! I shed a few tears while knowing what really happened in this tragedy. The incident was so traumatizing, it took me a few days to get over my sorrow.
    Luckily she is in a better place now. Imagine if she survived the gunshot, the poor girl will live a life of depression and fear, and the terrible incident will be haunting her for life.

• I'm happy you shared your opinion :)
      I was honestly a bit hesitant too, but writing this down helped me. She was my favorite artist

• I don't know if you've heard about her, Malala Yousafzai, a young women's rights activist was going to die the same way a few years back. Just like Christina she was shot in the head. She survived the gunshot. I keep wondering how can this girl live a normal happy life knowing she was SHOT in the head. Opposed to Malala Yousafzai, Christina is lucky enough to be in a better place. That gunshot brought her to a better place. She is lucky to escape life where she won't be able to forget this trauma, and will face dangerous people who will try destroy her emotionally and physically.

• I don't know her, honestly. It's a pity youtubers don't have bodyguards, this could happen to everyone, it just takes one guy :(

• Damn orlando is unlucky this year.

• The first I heard of her was her death.

I'm not a US citizen so I didn't see her on the Voice. But after hearing of her death, I thought about what she was like, and looked at her videos and I was really saddened. It became very obvious that she didn't deserve what happened and was sweet by nature.

• I only knew her from The Voice. She can sing alright! I only knew her as the singer, so I'd like to thank you for this, especially the last video

• lovely take, Yan-san. I was also part of the Team Grimmie, this made me cry.. again

• Has anyone found out the motive for that psycho?

• I was a fan long before she auditioned for The Voice. She had such a beautiful talent and she has touched so many lives through her career. It's so sad that she left this world so soon, but at least she is in a much better place where there is no more evil and suffering. I bet Heaven is beautiful and she's singing "In Christ Alone" right now!

• Honestly I don't remember her from the voice. Wasn't exactly who she was but that girl really did have a beautiful voice and seems like a beautiful person and is gone too soon.

Just listening to her made me cry. She wasn't deserving of that :(

• I hadn't ever heard of her before what happened. Such a shame. I only found out who she was because another youtuber mentioned what had happened. From what I read, she was very well loved.

What Guys Said 14

• Sorry am sorry. She was cute, and talented. I wish I didn't find this funny but I do.

• #RIPChristinaGrimmie may she rest in peace in skyloft (p. s I know it's late but I just found the mytake)

• I knew about her years and years ago. I used to like her covers. Then I forgot about her for a while until she became friends with my favorite YouTuber. They did a podcast together and a couple of videos. It was sad to see her go so young :(

• She's really funny, RIP :(

• i never heard of her til she died

• I didn't know her or music until this happened but the sad thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened.

In 2004 Dimebag Darrell of Pantera was shot onstage by a deranged fan who thought Pantera stole his music. You would think after such an event that concerts would tighten security but it didn't happen. It also led to Dimebag's brother Vinnie blaming the Pantera singer Phil over a quote taken out of context for Dimebag's death.

As an avid concert goer like myself, this scares me. R. I. P. Christina

• I mean this can happen anywhere but it is still scary. Just last week, my brother had a gun pointed at him and was mugged in a nice part of Chicago. Luckily he wasn't hurt let alone killed but it makes you scared to leave your home in these events.

• And that's all she ever wanted, to inspire people, the ones watching her for the first time and the one who were with her from the beginning.. I guess in a way she inspired you too. She didn't want to be famous like most of the artists nowadays. To be honest I enjoy the videos where she talks about herself, her family, or some random topics, as much as I enjoy listening to her sing..
    On a Q&A video..
    To the question "Now that you're famous what has changed and can you get whatever you want?"
    She answered: "My goal, in my career is to inspire people, to get my music out there and have people enjoy it, really think of me as an inspirational artist. My goal is not to have all the money in the world, I think that's just shallow if you ask me. No I can't get whatever I want. Maybee, one day I'll get to that point but I think I'd help others before I do that.. get a bunch of stuff for myself"
    Rest in Piece Christina!

• The sad thing is that I hadn't even heard of her before this. What a shame. Rest in piece.

• I just find it almost impossible for me to get emotionally attached to people I personally don't know. I'm a huge pro wrestling and metal fan but the deaths of Macho Man, Dusty Rhodes, Jeff Hanneman, and Lemmy didn't effect me in any way

• I can relate to this to some degree. For some reason I'm expected to cry along with the rest, and if I don't do that it makes me cold and heartless, but it just doesn't affect me either.

• I was devastated when I found out. Life just isn't fair :'(

How can such a beautiful and kind hearted girl be taken from us by some sad psychopathic ugly cunt.

• I don't watch that show. But it tells me the Devil is real, when I hear about the lengths her killer went to in order to bring about her demise.

There is nothing, outside of demonic and supernatural hatred, that can explain the level of obsession that was involved in that killer's quest.

The worst part: now that the details are out about both how he found her, and how loaded he was with weapons, lock picks, and other tools to assist him in his quest, he will undoubtedly have spawned copycat killers with similarly twisted motives.

Only the unborn are less deserving of Christina's fate. Yet, the lobbies that want to convince troubled women that the only real option is to butcher said unborn even more horrifically, do so with a level of obsession and inverted sense of righteousness which somehow dwarfs even the madness of Christina's killer.

• I remember her from YouTube before she got television recognition too. Hearing about her death honestly made me want to cry. It hurts me something so awful happened to her..

• Just wait till the last chorus... 😭😭😭😭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2RA0vsZXf8

• It's sad what happened to her I loved her voice 😭