10 Things to Do When You're Feeling Like Sh**

Here are my top 10 tips to help you pull yourself out of a bad mood, bad day or just a downwards spiral. These may be little things, but remember to take baby steps and soon enough, you’ll find that lots of little positive things and efforts can add up.

10 Things to Do When You're Feeling Like Shit

1. Have something to drink.

Dehydration can make you feel like crap, and the best way to remedy this is by drinking water! Not juice, soft drink or alcohol -get yourself a bottle of water and make yourself drink it throughout the day or over a couple of hours.

2. Have something substantial to eat.

I always feel a little bit better when I eat something, and a lot of the time I get hungry-thirsty, (you feel me?) so make sure whatever you eat, you follow up with a big drink of water. It can be easy to gravitate towards junk food, but something like a balanced meal or a piece of fruit is going to make you feel a lot better.

3. Get up out of bed, and make it.

I have a mental rule, once I get up and make my bed, I don't get back into it (until night-time, duh). This is a good step in the right direction, and is where I find myself getting stuck.

4. Take a shower.

Showers are almost guaranteed to make you feel that little bit better. Put your favourite tunes on (as long as you don't get tempted to dance), lather up, and massage your head gently with your fingertips when you're washing your hair. (This feels SO good!) Also, if you have enough motivation, shave too if that’s a part of your normal routine.

5. Put on real clothes.

Seriously, get out of those crusty pyjamas and put something freshly washed on. Something I like to do is get dressed up in my best clothes, the stuff I wear to parties that make me feel like a killer queen.

6. Get up and get out.

Aren’t you sick of the four walls of your room? Get out for a walk, run, or whatever you like, it could be to the local park, maybe you can treat yourself if you walk to the shops, hell, it could even be around the block! Exercise, even brisk walking, triggers endorphins meaning you’ll feel better in no time.

7. Talk to someone.

Whether it be someone you can rely on, here on GaG, or someone in real life, getting things off your chest is a sure way to feel better.

8. Hug something.

Hugging is also one of those miracle things that boosts your endorphins, so I suggest you hug a human, pet or even an inanimate object like a stuffed toy!

9. Achieve something.

A sense of achievement works as a great pick me up when you’re down. If this means doing so little as one of the things off this list, then congratulations, you’ve achieved something! Pat yourself on the back and focus on what you want to achieve next.

10. Acknowledge that you’re allowed to feel shitty.

Give yourself permission, go on. We all have our moments, trust me, and you’re allowed to feel like crap. You don’t have to fix everything all at once, remember, baby steps and you can most certainly give yourself some time and space that you need to work through things and process everything.

Inspired by a Buzzfeed article.

Luci :)

Luci92 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 15

• I admire that these were each healthy positive habits. I know too well how tempting it is to either cut yourself, use tobacco, or engage in other destructive behaviors when you do not feel best.

• Thank you. Yeah, it's definitely not a good place to when you're considering behavior like that :/

• Nice MyTake. The worse you can do when feeling shitty is nothing, cause your mind will always start thinking about the bad things and will make you feel worse.
    I would have added exercise too, cause it releases endorphins which makes you feel better.

by the way, that gif... it's awful. Someone needs some Photoshop lessons xD

• Thank you :)
      Yeah the gif is pretty bad haha but I was too lazy to try and find anything else

• When i am shitty, i just stop being shitty and be awesome instead. TS😋

• Unfortunately I've felt shitty for the entire (well, 2/3 so far) three day weekend. I had a lot of plans but digestive issues and headache... well, I'm here.

• stop the pity party.

• For guys: Have a clean shave and take your time. Works a charm. You feel enlightened.

• I got a feeling that you could be feeling a whole lot better than you feel today. You say you got a problem? Well, that's no problem! It's super easy not to feel that way.
    When you start to get confused because of thoughts in your head, don't feel those feelings!
    Hold them iiin innnsteeead!!!

*and thus the first picture on this take was born*

• I didn't write this for me. It takes a lot of practice among other things to turn your feelings off like a switch, and many people never master this.

• Yeah. XD
      I thought you might not have got it from your reaction. Anyway.
      Keep up the good advice. :)

• Took me a while but I got there eventually lol :P
      Thank you :)

• Wonderful take :) good ideas! Important to take a shower, put on real clothes and do something even if its something small

• Good take, as you already mentioned a bit: Don't gravitate to junkfood, try not to eat it at all. I found that eating lots of fruit (5+ pieces a day?) + a lot of vegetables really does wonders :)

• You forgot masturbate.

• Disagree with most of them.. Drink too much water and you just feel bloated and sick which is horrible when you're already feeling down. The best is energy drinks and beer. Fruit is the last thing you want when you feel bad, it makes you feel full like with water and leaves a long lasting bitter sweetness in your mouth. What you need is chocolate. Lying down from time to time is one of the few things that can get you through the day. And taking a shower just makes you feel irritated, never shower when you're down.

• My favorite solution is get up and quit wallowing in your sorrows and realize how much worse it could be:

• Actually alcohol has saved me at times when I felt suicidal. I am not saying that it is a long term solution, but I think that it is alright in the short term.

• Nice myTake. The 11th thing that I did was cry

• Aww :( Hope you're feeling better now!
      I always feel better after a little cry, it's a great way for your body to get rid of the toxins in your body too.

• cool mytake

What Girls Said 7

• good take

• Great myTake
    3- it's hard to do that when all you want to do is curl up in a foetus position and cry yourself to exhaustion.
    4- showers do feel better and are always nice. If I could not get out of the shower and stay in there I'd do it
    8- hugs are awesome

• Thank you :) Three is definitely the hardest for me ahaha. Yeah I just stand under the water for ages in the shower, though it means our water bill is so expensive now. Hugs are amazing <3

• Yeah number 3 is extremely difficult. That'd be the only reason why I'd stay under the water for long amounts of time (if it didn't cost money too lol). Definitely agree about the hugs thing

• Very true :)

• thanks for this

• Nice Take.
    On days where I feel like crap sometimes it's hard to think of things to do to help make yourself feel better. So this list provided a few (if not obvious now I'm not in a crap mood) things I could do. Especially if you do them all together.

• Those don't work for me

• Thanks so much for writing this.

• I think the showering and dressing part is so easy but so important. I feel like half the battle is looking good. Or at least presentable and clean.