3 Great American Heroes We Should Never Forget

In honor of fourth of July I am going to talk about three of the greatest American heroes out there.

1. John Paul Jones

First off this is the founder of the American Navy and famous privateer (A state sanctioned pirate) not the bassist for Led Zeppelin whose real name is actually John Baldwin.

John Paul Jones commanded five naval vessels and two privateer vessels. You might know this quote, "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."-John Paul Jones. Now the American Side thought of him as a great military commander and privateer. The English thought he was a flat out pirate.

He was the Commander of our side in the most celebrated naval battle of the Revolutionary War, The Battle of Flamborough head:

It occurred in the north sea off of the coast of Yorkshire England, Where in the early part of the battle his ship was damaged, half his crew was killed, and his ship was sinking and on fire. The enemy commander Richard Pearson asked him to surrender John Paul Jones responded, "I have not yet begun to fight." John Paul Jones then rammed his ship into the enemy ship and he and his crew then cleared the deck with Grenades, Pistols, and Cutlasses like a Pirate Badass because again a privateer is a state sanctioned pirate. At the end, He was successful and while his ship sunk he now had a shiny new British warship. He also lead a small raiding party on mainland England making him the last person successfully invade England.

2. Neil Armstrong

To me Neil Armstrong represents the best of not only Americans but in all in humanity. He in a sense represents the entire human race as his footprints on the moon will last for thousands of years, long after you and I are dead, are homes are gone, and our bodies will be dust. His footprints will still be on the surface of the moon an enduring legacy to not just Americans but of all of humanity, that says 'Fuck you Universe, we were here.'

And make no mistake he was a patriot. He was a Navy Pilot in Korea and was actually shot down at one point. He fought for his country and he landed on the moon for all of humanity. That makes him an American Hero.

3. Bass Reeves

Bass Reeves was the very first African American U.S Marshal and one of the very best gunfighters of the old west and make no mistake he does deserve the title of gunfighter. At the end of his career he had killed fourteen outlaws in self defense. He was also a freed slave. This man after being freed dedicated his life to serving justice and protecting the innocent and for that he is a true American Hero.

#AmericaFuckYeah

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 5

• neil armstrong is the only person i known out of this list

• I love <3 this take so much, it's awesome and theses wonderful men should never ever b forgotten I agree 100% :) :) :)

• All of thee guys are badass.

• Abraham Lincoln.

• Why would a musician be a hero? Unless they served in the military.

• You are thinking of louie armstrong.
      This is Neil Armstrong, unrelated to louie and the first man to walk on the moon and a U. S navy pilot

• He was a sportsman, not a muscian.

• Yes, but the logic is similar

What Guys Said 16

• I love history. And now I know who said "I have not yet begun to fight." :)

• Greast list and good take ^^

• John Paul Jones murdered, was murdered.
    Karma.

• This is from wikipedia
      Jones was appointed U. S. Consul to treat with the Dey of Algiers for the release of American captives. Before Jones was able to fulfill his appointment, however, he was found dead (aged 45) lying face-down on his bed in his third-floor Paris apartment, No. 19 Rue de Tournon, on July 18, 1792. The cause of death was interstitial nephritis.
      Where did you hear he was murdered because it says kidney failure

• I suspect those pirates rather treated the slaves like fresh meat.

• Wouldn't the older pirates basically treat the fresh meat like slaves, though? Apparently not. We've told you about Black Bart, the sailor who was captured by pirates and six weeks later became their captain -- kinda like Westley's story in The Princess Bride, except for the fact that his crew knew exactly where he came from and didn't give a shit.
      That is VERY frequent. Because most pirates started like that it wasn't the case

• Aboard Gemini 8, Armstrong and Scott (who I sold a jacket to!) dealt with a stuck thruster which caused their craft to roll wildly. They managed to stop the thruster, arrest the roll, and reorient the craft by eyeballing it with the stars. They did this while partially out of contact with Houston (NASA's communication network wasn't complete then) and BEFORE the technicians on the ground could calculate a solution.

I like Michael Collins. He's very chill. He was the first astronaut to write a children's book. My students love it.

That pic is a fake, by the way. Not the moon landing, just that pic. Virtually all pics are of Buzz Aldrin. Armstrong had the camera. Also, that face you looks like it was copied and pasted from another pic of Neil taken back aboard the Eagle. Here's a link to it...
    cdn3.vox-cdn.com/.../1.0.jpg

• I liked the one war story where some scouts buddy got shot, he picked up his comrades sub machine gun, killed all the Nazi soldiers, threatened an officer in a bar, then ran around the city throwing grenades and made the German soldiers evacuate in fear of a huge incoming wave.

• John Paul Jones "successfully" invaded England?

Did he take over the country?

• Why isn't Honey Boo Boo and Miley Cyrus on the list?
    (/s)

• Chris Kyle?

• dynamite bear tennis indeed lol

• Another American hero whom I think needs to be here is Audie Murphy. He like myself was a native Texan. I met him once. As I recall he was very small and
    unimposing. I said "Audie, you're a hero". He said, "No son I was just following orders". Life didn't end well for him at all. He was killed in a private plane crash in his 40's. At one time he was living on a cot in his ex wife's garage.

• If we included Audie Murphy's greatest exploits it'd be double the length.
      He was the most decorated soldier of all time

• so short. so few heros. I demand a rewrite with more American heros lol

• sergeant York... certified badass

• Yeah I agree with this

• I enjoyed this take. Good work.

• Lol how could u choose three there r so many

• Great take.