"Don't worry, be happy!" The common phrase seems to be a lot easier said then done in this day and age. With everything we have going on in our lives, it's easy to forget how much we have to be thankful for. It seems like more and more each day, our obligations and worries take away from our efforts to be happy and positive.
For a naturally pessimistic person, learning to turn that negativity into positivity is crucial for creating the energy and environment for success, and it's also important for ones well-being and happiness.
On the other hand, for someone who's naturally optimistic and positive, it's just as important to recognize that and continue having a positive outlook.
These tips below can be applied to any aspect of life. And include some steps you can take to become or remain the positive person that you're truly meant to be.
1. Ditch the negatives of the past. It's true when they say that you can't start a new chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one. So turn the page and look forward because the future is bright. Don't dwell on the negatives that you've experienced. Take them with a grain of salt, learn from them and keep going.
2. Make time for yourself. It can be hard with a busy schedule to stop what you're doing and make time for yourself, but even if it's just taking a long hot shower or watching an episode of your favorite show, find some time to do what you enjoy. You'll thank yourself afterwards.
3. Do something kind for someone else. Whether it's your mom/dad, your boyfriend/girlfriend, a complete stranger, or whoever, paying it forward can make you feel great.
4. Be comfortable with yourself. One of the most important qualities that positive people have is being fairly comfortable with themselves. If you embrace who you are, you'll be more confident and more likely to have a better outlook on life. Appreciate who you are and don't try to be someone you're not. No one is perfect, so stop trying to be!
5. Try to be less concerned about how others see you and more concerned about how you see yourself. Although it can be difficult to ignore the opinions of others, try to focus more on yourself. Your opinions, your goals and your everyday actions are way more important than what others think of you. Be yourself. If people don't like you, it's their loss, but I can guarantee that there are the right people out there for you, and they are probably not too far away. Embrace your true self and find people that you "click" with and support you for who you truly are. It'll make life that much better.
6. Don't make excuses. If you want something, go after it. Be passionate. Have a hunger for success. Leaning away from excuses can only help your positive thinking, and you can definitely reach goals more efficiently by being positive and determined.
7. Try to reduce stress. Although it can be found in the smallest tasks, try not get overwhelmed by the little things and try to worry less about the things you can't control. Everyone faces setbacks and everyone has to jump over hurdles, but most of the time they are unavoidable. Instead of putting energy into worrying about these setbacks, try to focus more on learning from them.
8. Focus on the solution, not the problem. One of the ways a lot of us trap ourselves into negative thoughts is by focusing too much on the issue of thinking there's only one solution to it. By thinking about how to work through the problem rather than how frustrating and horrible it is, you not only avoid the negativity, but woke on your creativity skills as well. By coming up with more options, you'll feel more in control and less upset if the first solution isn't successful.
9. Acknowledge all of your talents and blessings. When you're in a negative funk, it becomes very hard to see the good in your life, let alone in yourself. However, it's so important to be confident and empowered. Make a list of the things you're good at and of the things that are good in your life. Everyday, add at least one thing to those lists, and if there's ever a time that you're feeling down, pick the lists up and read them. We are all capable of so many things in life, so believe that. Strive to do your best, be appreciative of the people around you, and realize how lucky you truly are.
You've got this.