Be Shy and Proud Of It: "Introvert" Isn't a Dirty Word

Being shy or an introvert isn't anything bad. However many people mistake the silence of a shy or introvert person as being rude.

I have always been shy, but I have learned to challenge myself. And I have noticed it helps a lot. You get better and better in talking with strangers and it helps you in situations that might othervise have been very uncomfortable.

Being shy means you are an awesome person who just is a little scared to talk to strangers. They tend to overthink situations and don't want to say anything that could hurt someone. Being shy or introvert doesn't necessarily mean you are anti-social. People who are shy are often amazing once you get to know them.

When I was a little girl I was super shy. I got often left out of the group im school, because they didn't understand my silence. Loud extroverts want attention but somehow quiet people scare them. Why?

Because quiet people think, they see through fake people.

Being an introvert might be exhausting when you want to get to know people and have to push yourself to talk. Sometimes you can't even raise your voice in class when nobody can hear your quiet words. It is challenging to be in a big crowd and you might get anxiety.

Introverts are awesome and they find the real people, the sweet ones, because no one else gets through their filer. I have realized I am a good reader and I can be very sassy because I know what to say. Before I was too shy to ever say those things but now I am not anymore.

Dating is hard because I am too picky. I observe people too well to get into a relationship with them. But I might use it to learn players a lesson.

So be quiet, be shy be yourself and take no bullshit.

And here is a few tips for someone who wants to get to know a shy person:

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 26

• introvert and shy are very different things. introversion is a psychological description of a person who tends to focus more on one's own mental state. they tend to prefer doing things by themselves

whereas a shy person may simply not feel comfortable interacting verbally in social situations.

so i for example am shy. it doesn't mean i shy away from social situations at all but i am far more comfortable being more of an observer or listener in social situations than more outgoing

that said... there is a lot of science to show that being shy or introverted can contribute to great personal reflection and thought about on the world around you. which can lead to great insight or wisdom in a way that applied can contribute to greatly the world

• Yea its hard to be like that in today's society. So much of it is designed to be "the extrovert ideal."

greatist.com/.../why-society-should-support-introverts-highly-sensitive-people

Nice mytake though. We need more people saying this about shy and introverted people in society. Also, I might recommend reading "quiet" by Susan Cain.

• Some people are not made to be around others. Always felt like I didn't belong in any crowd. Tried love before, guess I'm not good at that. I don't want to be of the world, but I live in it regardless. http://i.imgur.com/kVULnXS.jpg

• That's probably something we all quiet people felt. I get that feeling too. Love is nothing you have to be good at, it just is a little hard sometimes. But I know the feeling.

• You can also fight for what you love 😉

• I do! For king and country! Lol

• Indeed, it's 100% true... great Take.

• Shy girls are cute and thoughtful and considerate. I would like the opportunity to gain a shy girls trust so that she I can watch her confidence grow despite her introversion.

• I'm very introverted. It makes leadership positions really difficult when the guy in charge is an extrovert and doesn't realize that introverted leadership is different from extroverted leadership.

• You can be an introvert alright, but that don't make you a genius so don't think these quotes mean you're necessary smarter, just because you don't talk much/are socially awkward. You don't have to feel ashamed of being shy but don't think you're any better than someone a little louder and more confident than you.

• To be shy or introvert isn't about not being confident. People can be very confident about themselves and still be shy. Shyness is more about not wanting attention. I never said shy people are better than the more outgoing ones, but I wanted to point out it is not a negative thing. People put down shy people and Introverts, even though it is nothing negative. I think I wanted to show a little more positive side of it and I am sorry I offended you with that.

• yeah i was shy and more introverted too younger. i have grown more bold now, as i think most people do when they grow up, but im nowhere close to a natural extrovert. and im perfectly happy, i wouldn't enjoy being like that too much. since i considered myself pretty smart, and i didn't see the extroverts usually being that smart ( im not bragging) i tought other shy kids were like me too. but i was provem wrong by some kids who were unable to answer my questions properly when i trued making small talk with them ( and it wasn't shyness, i know).

and yes, mytake owner , you made a goid point with your take. i think he got it.

• I was actually partly agreeing, giving you a feedback and trying to help you...

• I'm ambivert.

I'm introverted in some scenarios, but extrovert in others. To me it's all down to familiarity and how I feel in the moment.

I do suffer from anxiety though, which is a real pain.

• OMG! i love this, its me all over.

• I love this take. Very nicely written!

• Do not use the word 'introvert' for you clearly can't understand what it means. This take is mis-leading. Were you addressing shy people from the get go, things would be ok.

.. but no, you want up the ante by using a complicated word. Ignorance is not something to be taken pride in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IY0sxSbh4Y

• Ignoreance?

I never said they are the same. Though they face a lot of the same problems and walk a lot hand in hand.

• Be Shy and Proud Of It: "Introvert" Isn't a Dirty Word. A better title is "Shy is not a dirty word".
      Plus the excessive pictures with almost no meaningful body further proves my point.

• m.9gag.com/.../23-difficulties-an-introvert-faces-by-infjoe

As I told you they are not that far from each other and the title was actually first: be shy and proud of it. But they wanted to have the word introvert there too. And I think it is not at all misleading. There is a " : " instead of " = " . There was no talk about ignorance. Shy people aren't ignorant but you may be.

• Haha, I love the first pic xD

• im am introverted by choice lol. and you know what? some people love me for it others hate me for it. i open up to people who are cool people but i stay close to idiots and attention seekers. so yeah its not what you think it is. haters gonna hate.

• Being introverted as a man is probabaly the worst thing you can be when it comes to sexual attraction.

• Shyness and inroversion are two different things, just saying.

• I never said they were the same. But they go a lot hand in hand.

• Nice take... I am one introvert

• introvert doesn't mean you're shy.

• I never said so. I know they mean different things but they face the same problems a lot and walk a lot hand in hand too. (If you know what I mean )

• Good take but unfortunately it doesn't get you anywhere in life and people do judge you on it.

• Introversion and shyness are completely different and often unrelated.

• I hate my shyness and introversion. It's one of the worst things about me because it's why I make no friends and never will have any. It's bad enough I have all the schizo and possibly Asperger's stuff on top.

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 16

• I loved it when I was in school, and people thought quiet=good. I was able to get away with a lot of stuff.

I was also seen as rude sometimes because I was too shy to say sorry if I bumped into someone. Nowadays I say sorry too much. And because my friends were loud, i could never sit with them in a group without feeling awkward because i never had anything to say. Them Always asking, "why are you so quiet?" So eventually Id leave early, and I only really talked to them individually or two at a time.

I don't even like family gatherings, dances, or parties because I just want to eat in a corner and watch everybody talk. I was like that in school too, I don't want to be in the group, but I love observing and listening to conversations. I'm just nosy...

I did scare people for some reason, which was surprising because what did I do? It also is really easy to be invisible. But that comes with negatives and positives. Positive you can get away with more, you don't get involved in too much drama, not too many expectations. Negative is people will walk all over you, talking about you like you're not there, picking on you just to see your reaction, speaking for you thinking they know what you want but don't.

I understand they're two different things, but they do go hand in hand a lot. I am one of the many shy AND introverted people.

• I forgot to mention how much i love being alone because I can do things my way. No compromise lol

• In school shyness might be taken as negative also by teachers. They think you have nothing to say even if it is only that you don't want to say it loud. But yeah, it is also easier to hide behind your shyness.
      As I already said in the take: people tend to get scared of quiet people. Other people might think they are thinking too much. I never understood it before I got a little more outgoing myself. Some people actually say to me: that shy girl there, she is a little scary because I don't know what she thinks.
      I always tell those kind of people to not be scared because shyness often comes hand in hand with kindness. And to be scared of a shy/introverted person is like being an tiger who is scared of a mouse. The mouse is actually more scared of the tiger. (Well, at least something like this)

• That last picture, abot how to care for us, is pure gold. My best friend and I are both introverts, and I'm a bit shy as well, but that picture needs to be given to our parents. I get extremely upset when my mom try's and makes me make new friends or suddenly springs changes on me, as does he. 2 sucks, but growing up with my peers, I've been embarassed daily my entire life.

• I think you need to print it out and put it on your door! 😄

• I am an introvert and my kids probably are too

• I'm an introvert, but I'm far from shy If I can say this much.

• Good myTake 😊

• Proud introvert right here!

Introverting since 1999.

• I agree, people need to be comfortable being themselves. I'm very outgoing, but I have friends who are mostly quiet, and we get along great. I love what they bring to the relationship.

• I'm very shy around new people but if myself or the person I am talking to helps keep the conversation going, I really relax and appreciate it in ten folds. I get so nervous around new people and I love when someone breaks the awkward silence or does something to help me relax.

• Introverted doesn't equate to shy...

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...f06420bc76.jpg

But being introverted kind of prevents people who want to get ahead in their careers from being extremely sucessful sometimes... which sucks.

• Very good mytake, I know several introverts, I hope these advices will help them :)

• 1|0
  • I am shy and introverted, untill I after I get to know people, and feel comfortable around them and vice versa. I still remain introverted, but I come out of my shell, a little more; but not too much, for sake of appearing too confident. I think shyness and introversion go hand in hand. My older sister and her teenage daughter, are just the opposite of me.

• The way you put it... it sounds a bit like bragging.
    I'm glad you're more self-assured and all though.

• I'm both shy and introverted and it's a struggle to socialize. I literally have so many things I want to say, but I'm too scared. I end up staying quiet instead.

• Trust me you will get better at socializing! You just have to get out of that comfort zone. It is challenging but worth it. Shyness and being introvert is great as long as you don't feel like they limit you.

• No, i won't.

• Being Introvert doesn't necessarily means being shy.
    Just as being Extrovert doesn't mean being confident.

• Shy doesn't mean you aren't confident either, just saying. And I never said introverts and shy people are all the same, but I wrote about them both. Also they often go hand in hand.

• Are you a scientist