An Open Rant to Parents: Control Your Children!

There is one reason I HATE shopping during the Summer, and it has nothing to do with the humidity or the heat. Its the parents who bring their whiny, bratty little children shopping with them when they are out of school!

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind parents bringing their children shopping. I get it. You are stuck with your kids all Summer and need to carry on your daily routines with them. My problem is with parents who let their obnoxious, screaming, little brats run around the store like its a glorified daycare centre and do absolutely NOTHING about it!

Why should I or anyone else put up with your child's behavior?

Yes, children (especially toddlers) will throw temper tantrums, and older children will get into mischief. But just because you are out in public doesn't mean you can't discipline your child. In fact, I encourage it because that is what being a good parent is about. By letting your child act like a little douche while out in public, you are teaching them that it's okay to act inappropriately and annoy others without consequence.

So next time you are at a store and your kid acts up, please, out of respect for the rest of us, discipline your child.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 26

• I think making things clear and having a consistent stand on this kind of situation helps a lot when dealing with kids.

I recall this time when I had to exchange a Christmas gift and took my daughter with me. She was probably 5 at the time. She saw this cute bottle of water and told me she wanted it. I told her we wouldn't buy anything.

That didn't sit well with her, so she threw herself on the ground and started to cry. I grabbed her, trying my best not to hurt her, sat her on the counter of the store and asked her: "Why are you doing this? When did I ever buy anything for you because you acted that way?".

Never had the same issue again. :)

• A major pet peeve of mine. I'm aware that we live in a society now where ANY discipline at all is looked down upon (and that's serving us really well, by the way), but this is getting out of control.

As far as I'm concerned, parents who refuse to control their children are basically abusing their children. Because in the long run, it's the child who's going to suffer.

• Daycares don't hit kids and they act fine... I think people act crazy because of various other reasons.

• @redeyemindtricks If you google you'll see there's diseases that nvr existed back then or who had really low numbers of deaths that skyrocketed now. But I agree the olden times were too idolized.

• What annoys me about people saying "certain mental diseases didn't exist" is because #1 it's Behavoural Disabilities (such as ODD) #2 Such disorders don't just *poof* exist between generations. They can be discovered but they don't just start existing. #3 Most children who act this way don't have Behavioural Disorders that are irreparable. Most Behavoural Disorders and Disabilities can be solved by the parent through discipline and proper parenting. Children need to have an instilled fear of consequence from a young age. There is a very distinct difference between hitting your child out of anger and striking your child because they've done something wrong. You need to instil a fear of the consequences of their actions into children. You can't reason with an 8 year old child. You can't tell them what they did wrong and expect them to understand the logic and reason behind that. Give them an ass paddle and be done with it. They won't repeat the action.

• i just give them the crazy eyes and tell them to deal with them or fuck off out my shop.
    it's not like i need their money i have lots off it.

i don't blame the children it's like you said parents are scared to discipline children know since they have rights.

• I agree full heartedly. Especially at restaurants.

• THATS RIGHT AND DON'T FORGET TO CONTROL THEM WHEN YOU BRING THEM TO OTHER PEOPLE'S HOUSE'S!!! I can't count how many times a relative has brought their kids to our house and they've touched something without permission or broken something. NEW PARENTS CONTROL YOUR KIDS FOR THE GOOD OF MANKIND!!!

• Exactly! What happened to the days of giving a nubile 14 year old girl a few gentle spanks on her pert, smooth, naked ass to put her in her place?

• It's very annoying, I agree. I always viewed timeouts as inneficient methods of 'tough love' or punishment if you will. It's relative to prison if you can view it that way. A lot of single mothers out there too, and that doesn't help. I don't care if you say that you can handle it on your own. A child needs BOTH of their parents. Father and mother. Especially if the child is a girl. Exceptions do apply. Can't wait for the replies.

• maybe you used to be able to discipline your child in public but not anymore, no people will throw you in jail for child abuse if you try

• What you find in life is that there are wayyyyy too many people who shouldn't have children because they have no clue how to handle them. I love kids and want then some day. But I agree with you on this take. Discipline your kids.

• OMG... the worst is Walmart midday, on a weekend. Your kid shouldn't have free reign of any store. Please watch your children, not every establishment is a fucking Chuck E Cheese.

• I have a feeling this is a non parent speaking I am a live and let live person knowing young children can be a handful, it is easy for a person on the outside to look in and wonder why they can't discipline their children.

• yeah they do that, then child protection service gets involved saying you can't do this and you can't do that, or you go to jail for child abuse. just for disciplining a kid by what your instincts tell you, to slap it out of them.

• Funny... I never acted like a spoiled little shit cause I knew I'd get an ass whooping... and now it's 'Oh no... don't beat them' that's right don't beat them... they'll be busy beating the shit out of you and others later. >.>

Some kids need an ass whooping... time outs don't always work...

• Children are a great blessing and it is misleading to promote birth control because they might misbehave

They must be loved, cared of and protected yet at the same time reasonable and appropriate discipline is necessary

The problem is that these days the whole society is deconstructing, authorities are no longer respected, values of what makes a good person are set aside, even adults try to justify any kind of vileness by "moral relativism"

Parents are not disciplining their kids because they feel it is not necessary, blind to consequences of it

The approach is this:

1. Talk to kid calmly and reasonably, if that does not work then
    2. Raise your voice, take away kids' luxuries (phone, pocket money, etc ) if that does not work then
    3. It is OK to spank them, never with wrath, only to inspire discipline

People need to realize that by letting spoiled kids to grow up such way they are setting them for much harder adult life, it is not only about nerves of parents it is also about children themselves

• No is no. you give them just a hint of control over you, you're done!

• Men... control your women...

• It's going to seem like I'm disagreeing with you. I'm not. I agree with everything you said.

That being said, adults who sigh that passive aggressive l'm-sighing-and-I-hope-you-can-hear-me-so-you-understand-I'm-disgusted sigh, who roll their eyes, who curse under their breath just loud enough to be heard, who call the parents and their children names, who do not make ANY attempt at being patient, who whine and complain about noisy kids, ARE EVERY BIT AS OBNOXIOUS, BRATTY, WHINY, AND IN GENERAL UNPLEASANT TO BE AROUND AS THE KIDS YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT.

You say "parents, discipline your kids" and I am in one jillion percent in agreement with you. What you failed to mention to the dickheads I identified in the paragraph above (and they are as numerous as obnoxious children) is, "Hey dickheads, show some patience and self discipline." One thing I'venoticed from 20 years of working with children, parents, and adults who aren't parents. We are, all of us, experts at raising other people's children.

And anon, I don't know you, so I don't assume you are one of those people.

• Another important point on why children aren't for everyone.

Would be much better if they had hired a nanny or baby sitter instead of even dragging the kid along with them every single time when they're going shopping or going out together. Otherwise yell and scream angrily at their own kids face and tel them to stop running around and throwing temper tantrums. Those parents have got to find some way to their kids in line and in check at all times and learn to respect their parents, because if they don't there kids will eventually think and feel that they are entitled to everything and just do whatever the fuck that they want to do because they will think that they can get away with it and ignore their parents or that they would becime ignorant of the consequences of their actions.

• Yes, it definitely explains why there are a lot of fucked up adults in this world today who are just grown up brats.

• It's a power struggle once they are in their teens. If their parents spoil them and di liitle to nothing to keep their kids in line and make sure they learn respect, then by the time they are in their teens they start to be more rebellious and do their own thing because they would have gotten used to it all and develop the mindset of

"nah my mom and dad had and will always let me do whatever I want to do cause they never said otherwise or ever really bothered to do anything to prevent me from doing whatever the fuck I want to do even if what I was going to do is wrong bad or harmful to others and/or myself".

At that point it becomes almost too late if not already too late to turn things around. Because they won't care to listen any more they woulonly listen to what they want to hear.

• Every time I see a parent spank or slap their child in public. I immediately think, "What did that kid do to their poor parent?".

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 22

• As a former nanny, I'd like to add my two cents.

Sometimes, there isn't any controlling your children.

Children are children, when they want their way they figure out very quickly that throwing a shit fit is going to get them what they want or is going to be enough to shake your nerve. It's all a part of their growth process; they push boundaries, they test what they can get away with, and they're generally self centered and have their own little agenda. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do: if a kid feels like screaming, they're going to scream. No amount of firm talking to, spanking, or what have you will stop that since their underdeveloped minds can't always process things outside of an emotional response. Try smacking a crying kid and see if that magically makes them cry less.

Half of the time, ignoring their shit is the best thing you can do. It teaches them that their outbursts gain them no response and no attention. They won't do what doesn't work.

How about non-parents stop giving parents so much shit.

• Mind you, I should say they shouldn't allow their kids to run around stores causing havoc, they should at least keep their fuckery within close proximity of themselves.

• Huge pet peeve. Huge. Huge. Huge. Kids are annoying as hell and it's because their parents don't PARENT! Your kid should not be running around in public unsupervised, running in front of people, grabbing things, throwing tantrums, talking back, staring at people... Kids just annoy the hell out of me. My mom always told us that if we were old enough to talk, we were old enough to act right, and it's the TRUTH.

• I agree. And this is why I don't want kids.

• I semi agree, but I will say the worst incidents I've seen have been with adults.

• i really can't understand what parents are thinking when do nothing except watch as their toddlers crawl and wobble around happily in the middle of sidewalks and train station exits where hundreds of adults are rushing to work. literally just right in front of traffic. people get startled and just barely avoid stepping on these kids. the parents just watch silently, sometimes making eye contact with the people who almost stepped on their kids. no scolding, no apologizing, not a single word.

• Hahaha. you dont even know HOW HARD IT IS TO RAISE CHILDREN! you can't make them do everything you tell them. And somtimes with kids either its there way or the high way. So keep your rant to yourself and respect the parents who put in all there time and duty taking care of them. of course every parent wants an obedient child but children dont always turn out that way and its not always the parents fault.

• As a kid I remember it very clearly. When we kids were in public or even with family, we had to sit where we were told, play where we were told, and respect all elders calling them formally Mr./Mrs. or Yes ma'am/No sir. There was no leeway, there were no tantrums that we could throw, it was that, or punishment--and this was WITHOUT any form of corporal punishment. All my mom had to do was give us "the look" from across the room and we knew, we better do what we were supposed to. You don't get that level of control from being an inattentive crappy parent.

All this, well, if you were a parent. Look, how the heck do you think "bad kids" got to be that way? Unless they are the rare breed going through some kind of life trauma (happens, and I understand), it's because of poor parenting. Why do parents actively choose to make it harder on themselves by not teaching their kids discipline/manners etc. My mom and dad didn't have to try hard to get us under control because they'd put the time in going over the rules over and over, teaching us, punishing us, making good on their threats--so they could get to a point where one look was all that was needed.

Anyway, when I saw this years ago, after having worked in a facility that dealt with all kinds children, many of them like this kid, I was just like, yessss... many a day I have felt like this.

https://youtu.be/0TBlyr7gUBc

• Exactly! 50 years ago you would have never seen this sort of behavior in children. Parenting skills have gone to shit, and I don't think they are getting any better.

• Well I don't have to worry about that, I'm never going to have children 😄

• Right!
    There's a bold line between wal mart, slap quick mom and Dr. Phil, get slapped mom.
    I hate going places where they'll be a lot of kids, even though I LOVE children, because there are too many dumbass adults who don't know how to parent and everyone else has to suffer because of that.

• Seriously. It's bad enough that I have to intermingle with children every time I leave the house on the weekends, I don't wanna be forced to listen to the little banshee spawn too.

• Let's be real, not to bring race into this but it's mostly white people's children that act up like that. They mostly just stand there, and let their kids behave badly because they don't like whooping. Instead of making that f***er shut up and behave.

• "beat the shit out of your children because I don't want to hear them"

Nice. Okay. Thanks. Good take.

• I never said that. I said discipline.

• I don't mind kids acting crazy because that's what they do but I do want to see an effort on the parents part to stop the behavior and honestly it shouldn't take 5 minutes to calm your kid down lol

• I find children annoying especially while im out shopping. I see kids running everywhere. This is one of the reasons why i do not want kids

• I agree. I've seen so many parents who don't do shit when their kids act a fool. It's so annoying. You know how your child acts. If you don't discipline your child or you know the kid is an asshole find a way not to bring them out because no one wants to deal with that. And I'm not above yelling at other people's kids, especially if they bother me.

• You know what it is- if they don't discipline their kids, half of the people look at them and get pissed off, and if they do discipline their kids the other half of the people look at them like they're abusive. There have even been some who called the authorities because they didn't agree with something the parent did. So a lot of parents will just discipline when they get home, like no games time out whatever.

• What do you mean by discipline? Besides most people that have kids that act like that simple aren't good parents anyways so you can't expect much out of them. The way the child is acting is always the parent's fault.

• Oh dear god. I so agree.

I used to work as a rides operator at a theme park, and boy, was I not paid enough to parent other people's children. No, ma'am, he doesn't have Oppositional Defiance Disorder. You're just a shit parent who always caves when you tell him no. DO NOT TAKE YOUR ASSHOLE CHILDREN ANYWHERE IF YOU CANNOT KEEP THEM IN CHECK.

• I couldn't act that way in public growing up, especially when you lived in the Caribbean.

• If you're the kind of parent who allows your 5-year-old to run rampant in public places like restaurants, I have what could be some rather disturbing news for you.

I do not love your child.

The rest of the country does not love your child either.

And the reason why we're staring at you every other bite is not because we're acknowledging some sort of mutual understanding that kids will be kids but rather we want to kill you for letting your brat ruin our dinner.
    Or our plane ride.
    Or trip to the grocery store.
    Or the other adult-oriented establishments you've unilaterally decided will serve as an extension of your toddler's playpen because you lack the fortitude to properly discipline them, in public and at home.

And we know you don't discipline them at home because you don't possess "the look." If you had "the look," you wouldn't need to say "sit down" a thousand times.

If you had "the look," you wouldn't need to say much of anything at all. But this nonverbal cue needs to be introduced early and reinforced diligently with consequences for transgressions, just like potty training. And whenever a kid throws a temper tantrum in the middle of the shopping mall it's just as bad as his soiling his pants to spite his parents, and it stinks just as much.

Children are wonderful but they are not the center of the universe. The sooner their parents make them understand that, the better off we all will be.

This is the part of child-rearing people don't like to discuss, because socially, it's not OK to dislike kids. The ugly truth is it's the spineless parents who parade their undisciplined children around like royalty that make people dislike kids.

Parents who expect complete strangers to just deal with it are not doing anyone, including their children, any favors. They are actually making things worse. Not only are their children allowed to interrupt social events and settings when they are young, but they often grow into disruptive forces in the classrooms later. And nobody likes them for that.

I don't believe making a child's wishes top priority is a demonstration of love. Nor do I believe I, or the rest of the world, should act as a surrogate parents for somebody's bad-ass kids.

• More from Girls
    2