9 Surprising Advantages of Being Short

Recently I feel like there have been a few myTakes and questions on height and the comments are usually a minefield of people citing disadvantages and being bitter about being short. Well, being the optimist I am and bringer of good vibes, I decided to list some positives about being short.

P.S. I just focused on the guy's perspective.

Sure, some of these might be trivial reasons and you can go on about how it's still more advantageous to be tall, but I'm trying to act positive, damnit, it so leave that shit elsewhere and go to the subreddit "r/short" if you want to feel negative about being short.

1. Losing weight is more obvious on a shorter frame.

I get that this is a bit of a double-edged sword in the fact that you have to eat less if you're shorter, but I mean 10 pounds from a 5'5 guy and a 5'10 guy it's gonna look more obvious on the shorter guy.

2. You are less likely to develop blood clots.

VTE (Venous thromboembolism) is blood clots in the veins and this is a very serious problem and is a big factor to death and disability worldwide. There are 10 million VTE cases annually and 100,000-300,000 related deaths just in the US. Men over 5'8 are 2.5x more likely to develop this due to blood needing to be pumped a longer distance by the calf which can cause reduced blood flow and a higher risk of clotting.

3. Muscle is more obvious on a shorter guy

While short and tall guys build muscle at the same rate, with less surface area muscle won't be spread out as proportionally as tall guys so you'll look more ripped (again this is a double-edged sword if you are all about strength as the tall guy will be stronger). So it will take less time to look more aesthetic which is pretty good.

4. Less leverage

With shorter limbs there's going to be less force acting on them when they are fully stretched this can be useful in various exercises e.g. dumbbell curls. The force that taller people with long arms feel when their arms are at 90 degrees is going to be more than a shorter person even on the same weight, and this makes it easier for a shorter guy to do. Benching, pullups and squats are also exercises where less leverage gives you an advantage and makes it easier.

5. More legroom in cars, planes and beds

Yeah I know this is getting pretty insignificant but it's a positive nonetheless. Lots of people like to have legroom and some people with certain leg problems basically need it. Well, shorter people always have some; my knees never touch the back of a chair and I don't have to keep fidgeting like some of my taller friends. I imagine that this is more comfortable and is pretty useful on long flights. Also, you can take a nap in the back of a car comfortably which I use a lot, so it's a big advantage.

6. Less common and less severe injuries

Short people are less injury prone and those injuries are usually less severe because a taller person has a further to fall and with more momentum leading to more impact and a worse injury. No one wants to get injured so if I can have less serious and frequent injuries that's a great advantage.

7. Less risk of spine and back problems

Things like Lumbar disc disease which can cause continuous back pain, muscle weakness and numbness have higher relative risks for those of a higher stature. These are very serious problems and lower back pain is the biggest cause of disability worldwide and 80% of Americans will experience back pain in their lifetime. I know I'd like to not have lots of back pain and spine injuries and at least my chances are lower.

8. Less likely to get divorced

Yeah I know correlation doesn't equal causation (but I'm clutching here to rack up the points) but men who are 5'7 and under are 32 % less likely to divorce than men of average height. NY university researchers say this is because shorter guys get married later in life and if courtship takes longer they believe it could result in a more steady ground for marriage.

9. Less likely to suffer from exhaustion or sun stroke

A shorter person's surface area proportionally to heat generated by the body allows them to lose heat more rapidly than taller counterparts.

P.S. I'm not trying to inspire a debate on which is better, so please don't turn it into that. I just wanted to give some positives that you don't often see for being shorter. They both have positives and negatives.

Sources:

http://www.menshealth.com/guy-wisdom/benefits-of-being-short/slide/1

http://www.worldthrombosisday.org/issue/vte/

http://www.BBC.com/future/story/20150928-tall-vs-small-which-is-it-better-to-be

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/7-ways-heigh-affects-your-health_us_5783ad23e4b0344d51500c3d

https://tall.life/tall-people-and-back-problemspain/

http://www.acatoday.org/Patients/Health-Wellness-Information/Back-Pain-Facts-and-Statistics

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/27ycgs/is_it_harder_for_tall_people_to_build_muscle/

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 16

• Short dudes also are better to be with when the chick is short herself. I dated a dude that was 6'1" and I didn't like how I could kiss him easily, along with a bunch of other things. Now my current boyfriend is 5'4" and I honestly love that plus he's hot anyways. ^^

Ayy, short people represent :P

• You have no idea how much I've always envied you short people for 5!!

• It doesn't really do well for women if they're short and have big breasts and a big butt!

• Less dick

• This is awesome!

• Hehe I love this

• what about short guys though?

• @scooogy well, I was used to really tall guys, because I grew up around all my 6ft or over brothers, the "short one" of the family, he's 5'9, so I always was just used to that and liked taller guys. However, my boyfriend now is quite short but I like him so it's ok. And he's the longest relationship I've been in and is probably the last I'll ever have.
      If he's a good guy and doesn't have short man syndrome, it's ok by me. Tall girls and short guys are sometimes made to feel bad, but they totally shouldn't. Everybody is somebodys type. Everybody.

• First time I've seen someone use short man syndrome on this website lol

• As a 5'2" "oompa loompa" as my dad oh-so-lovingly calls me, I approve this take lol

• #10: When you find that secret room in your house with the tiny door, you're the only one who could fit inside of it.

• Wow, i had no idea.

• Yay shorties! I take pride in being only 5'1".

• My Ex husband is 5ft 7 and he was 23 when were married.

• Awww, that short guy is so cute. :)
    One thing though, muscle can look good on short guys just as long as they don't go over the top. Or they will look like oddities. Being shorter can make some people look a lot younger than they are too.

• I'm annoyed at how gender based this take is. Most of your points are only advantages for a guy being short.

• He says a fucking Ps i focus on guy's perspective in the beginning. can't you simply read or not understand what you read before hating on a take?

• Oh okay OP I guess I will write a mytake about short girls

• cool, I'll definitely read it, I am interested in how it varies for girls I just don't know enough to do it myself.

• Weird that you didn't mention the biggest advantage of all, which is that you live longer. A LOT longer.

If you are 5'4", then, on average, yr life expectancy is 15 TO 20 YEARS longers than it is for some guy who's 6'6".

As explained in my opinion here
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2053988-should-heightism-be-classed-as-discrimination-not-be-tolerated-in

• I'm 5'3". Great. Are you telling me that I'm going to be stuck in this world for an even longer time than normal?

• Point #2 is the same thing

• @YourFutureEx... but only one small component of it.

Tall people's increased vulnerability to heart attack and stroke isn't mostly from blood clots -- it's mostly from constant strain (against gravity) that's greater than for most people.

And of course blood clotting has nothing to do with an increased risk of cancer.

• I knew you would write this eventually. But don't forget you guys have better balance cause of low center of gravity and less likely to get cancer.

What Guys Said 19

• Greater prospects in the Navy and many careers involving machinery. Short men can fit into smaller spaces and thus provide an invaluable role as mechanics and engineers. I was researching what it takes to serve on a submarine in the USN and you may be surprised to know that contrary to having a minimum height like most things, it has a maximum height that cannot be exceeded. In other words, the job requires short men because taller men cannot do it as comfortably.

• Good take. It mentions several points I never considered.

• Hahaha. This is great, and well written. Very entertaining.

• if your a guy there's absolutely no advantages to being short sorry. Women will litrally look down on you. Only 5'11 and above is attractive for men.

• are you blind I just labelled some advantages.

• no stop being nice to yourself. those are just myths meant to make you feel better when in reality being short is a disadvantage.

• How is you are less likely to develop blood clots a myth WTF is wrong with you.

• 3. Muscle is more obvious - girls say muscles look better on tall guys so that's not an advantage.

4. I think you mean short guys have MORE leverage, not less.

I'm 6'4" and wouldn't trade it for any of these "advantages".

• Do girls really say that I mean I know they say tall guys look better but muscle? also you wouldn't even for the lower chance of blood clots I mean that is a major killer also spine problems, also as one female said generally live longer.. I mean socially I think being taller is superior with relationships, jobs etc but biologically I think for the average person there's little benefit.

• I've seen girls say it countless times on gag. tall guys look better with muscle than short guys. Ask which looks better with a poll with 2 options only and I guarantee you the winner will be tall guys with muscle.

Short men may have a greater risk of developing coronary artery disease than taller guys.
      www.menshealth.com/.../short-men-heart-disease-risk

• Cool

• Just lol at this. I'd give almost anything to be taller. Tall guys get more money, more women, more friends and more respect... And one of the best advantages to being short you can come up with is legroom? Fuck that.

• Age: 17
      Knows: Everything

• Sorry, Mr Mature

• I guess I'm supposed to just shut up when someone says something that I specifically asked to not be said because I don't give a shit about it.

• I'm not tall or short.

• No thanks. I'm happy being 6"1

• 4 doesn't make sense because a taller dude typically has more mass to apply.

• I get that this would be another double edged sword as with longer limbs you can put on mass but the basic idea that the same weight will feel like more with longer limbs works.

• And here I thought I couldn't wish any more or have reason to do so...

• As a short man (5'2) I can say a lot of this, from my personal experience, is true. However, I am divorced. But all in all, I'd say this is all pretty true.

It's difficult to not over-muscle, however. Some of us aren't 'petite' and have stocky bone structure. My waist (when I'm thinnest) is 29"-30" and I have to wear medium and large shirts to accommodate my chest and shoulders. And I'm not muscled up, just stocky. (Stout, as one of my buddies calls it.)

The exhaustion / heat stroke one was actually surprising. That's one I didn't know.

Nice myTake.

• Short and average guyd are better than Tall guys in most of strength competitions, like wrestling, powerlifting and shi.

• 8. Less likely to get divorced

Yeah, right, because that TOTALLY has to do with being short, not because the relationship didn't last anyway. /s

• I did say I was cluthing at straws but yes correlation doesn't equal causation I just found it interesting that shorter people don't get divorced as much and I tried to explain it as well.

• This is why I like being average height, maybe a tad short. I'm not so short that I can't see over things, and I'm taller than most women. However, I never lack leg room and I'll benefit from a longer life expectancy.

• You forgot one thing: short men have longer lifespans than tall men. Tall men have died younger than short men, historically.

That's why as a 6'2" man, I'm probably going to die earlier than you guys who are like 5'7"

• 1|2
  • Well this makes me feel a little better for being short

• This is interesting, I like it. Thanks for citing your sources.