Why Christianity Is Not A Monotheistic Religion

The Christian God (The Trinity) is composed of three elements: the Son, the Father, and the Holy Spirit.

I went to Catholic school all my life. I grew up learning about the Christian religion all throughout kindergarten to high school. I learned that they worship a man named Jesus (the Son) who lived on this earth and then ascended to Heaven. I also learned that almost all Christians believe in the Trinity and that it makes up one God. Later on, I was surprised to find out that Hinduism believes that their one God is composed of not three, but three hundred thirty million gods.

But why is that Hinduism is considered a polytheistic religion while Christianity is considered a monotheistic religion?

It's because Christianity has Bible verses that advocate monotheism, even though there are verses that contradict them to advocate the Trinity. It's because three forms of One God seems a lot less polytheistic than three hundred thirty million forms of One God. Polytheism in general is viewed as more primitive and has negative connotations to it which is why most Christians deny being polytheistic. Christians have a lot of cultural power to influence society, so society tends to not think of them as polytheists. Society associates Christianity with monotheistic religions such as Judaism and Islam.

However, Jews and Muslims don't believe that their one God is composed of any elements. Judaism and Islam are strictly monotheistic. They strictly believe in the oneness of their God without it being composed of separate forms. Jews and Muslims are strictly against worshipping a person who lives/lived on this earth. They don't believe that their one God has a son.

No ladies and gentlemen, Christians do not worship the same God as the Jews and Muslims. So therefore, Christianity should not be grouped with Judaism and Islam in a picture like this...

This picture pretty much sums up how society lies about Christianity and monotheism. Along with Hinduism, it's best to describe Christianity as soft polytheism, which is the belief in one God who has three or more different forms.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

• All the more reason to not believe - the inconsistency is just moronic.

I like you view ice, steam and liquid as not water like you. If anyone disagrees that they're different, they're an idiot!

not true. anyone who has opened the bible would know the trinity is bs. in many verses of the bible, jesus clearly states that he is doing his father's will, not his own.

Christianity is not monotheistic, Judaism is based on the old testament, they rejected Jesus Christ as there Messiah yet there religious texts spoke of him... Islam saw Jesus Christ as only a prophet and did not believe he was the Son of The Living Father... Christianity stands on its own from any other religion, period.

The Trismegistus goes back to original sources which dates from 0 - 100 AD the time of Jesus Christ, the Trismegistus is the Trinity, The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost who are 1.

I've written this wrong sorry, i mean Christianity is monotheistic!

• Some Christians believe in the Trinity and some don't. I still believe all Christians believe there is only one God.

• Sorry, but Christianity is monotheistic. You and I live in a three-dimensional world. All physical objects have a certain height, width, and depth. One person can look like someone else, or behave like someone else, or even sound like someone else. But a person cannot actually be the same as another person. They are distinct individuals.

God, however, lives without the limitations of a three-dimensional universe. He is spirit. And he is infinitely more complex than we are.

That is why Jesus the Son can be different from the Father. And, yet the same.

The Bible clearly speaks of: God the Son, God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit. But emphasizes that there is only ONE God.

If we were to use math, it would not be, 1+1+1=3. It would be 1x1x1=1. God is a triune God.

Thus the term: "Tri" meaning three, and "Unity" meaning one, Tri+Unity = Trinity. It is a way of acknowledging what the Bible reveals to us about God, that God is yet three "Persons" who have the same essence of deity. Some have tried to give human illustrations for the Trinity, such as H2O being water, ice and steam (all different forms, but all are H2O). Another illustration would be the sun. From it we receive light, heat and radiation. Three distinct aspects, but only one sun.

No illustration is going to be perfect.

But from the very beginning we see God as a Trinity. Notice the plural pronouns "us" and "our" in Genesis 1:26 -- Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Though not a complete list, here is some other Scripture that shows God is one, in Trinity:

"Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!" (Deut. 6:4)

"I am the LORD, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God." (Isa. 45:5)

There is no God but one. (1Cor. 8:4)

And after being baptized, Jesus went up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon Him, and behold, a voice out of the heavens, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased." (Matt. 3:16-17)

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." (Matt. 28:19)

Jesus said: "I and the Father are one." (John 10:30)

"He who has seen Me has seen the Father." (John 14:9)

• jesus isn't a god.. he's the SON of god

• i think you confuse "polytheism" with an "omnipresent" god. it says in the bible that god is in each of everyone of us, which doesn´t mean that everybody is god.

same with the holy trinity, which are just the corner stones of christian believe not actually 3 different gods.

• Not necessarily.

Remember the Borg in Star Trek? There are countless Borg, yet there is only 1.

• Many Christian denominations don't claim there is a trinity of three beings. That is some crap added later.

• all religion is nonsense.

• except Jesus is not a God.

What Girls Said 4

• Christians believe in 1 god.

• Hinduism is not a monolith. It is actually composed of thousands of different sects. Some Hindus consider themselves polytheists while others consider themselves monotheists. The trinity of god (s) in Hinduism - Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are considered by some to be distinct entities, while others deem them as different manifestations of the same entity. (Though some lesser known sects can be considered pantheistic or atheistic).
    In a similar fashion, in Christianity, denominations that espouse the trinitarian/modalism belief, do by definition believe that the three ‘persons' that comprise the trinity are the same entity.

Regarding the section about Islam and Judaism.
    While the other two Abrahamic religions do place an emphasis that God exists typically exists as a single entity, it doesn't insinuate that God cannot take on different forms. For instance, in the Torah, God takes on different forms, ranging from a burning bush to a pillar of fire. I'm not too sure about God in Islam, but I'm willing to bet that the Quranic God is probably said to have manifested in some kind of form.
    Although Judaism and Islam are monotheistic religions that refrain from worshipping God as a human being, it does not in any way refute the notion that Christianity (most forms at least) is monotheistic. Because so long as the Christian doctrine holds the belief of one God, it is monotheistic, by definition. It's arguable monotheistic/polytheistic nature is not contingent on the resemblance of beliefs to the other Abrahamic religions.

In short, Christianity is a little different from Islam and Judaism from how it portrays God, but it doesn't make the religion monotheistic.

Assuming your definition of "soft polytheism" is correct, I would contend that Christianity can be considered both monotheistic and soft-polytheistic.

I'm an atheist, but I figured I would point that would.

• Wrong. This is not true. Didn't we all cover this in a question like 2 days ago?