The Most Common Lies I Tell Myself When Hiding My Depression

I've got depression

And I've had it for years and even when I'm at my darkest I put on a brave face for the people around me. I know right now and at other times when I feel okay that I shouldn't but in the throes of despair its hard to remember that I shouldn't be hiding this so here are the most common lies I'll tell.

I'm Fine

I tell this all the time when I'm depressed, I'm good right now but last night I was in a rather dark spot but my friend asked how I was feeling and like usual my response was fine. Its the lie everyone struggling with depression tells. Its part of the facade we put up so to not hurt those we care about. We don't want them to worry so we don't let them know that there is anything to worry about. So the next time someone you care about who is struggling with depression tells you they are fine. Ask them if they really are fine or not as its quite possible they are screaming on the inside.

I just feel sick

That quote right up there is completely true. My close family understand and so do my close friends but I know that a good majority of my extended family would just think that I'm a wimp and that I just need to 'have a positive attitude' which is complete and utter bullshit. So whenever I'm around them and my depression is kicking my ass I tell them things like, 'I just didn't sleep well' or 'I have a headache' or even 'I didn't sleep at all last night' because at least then they won't think I'm just being selfish and that their is at least something wrong. Its a way to at least inform them that something is going on with me even if its not what they think.

I know that it will all pass

On my days where I feel okay I do understand this but in the absolute thick of it when I'm with people who know and understand this. I tell them I know it will pass and things will get better and while in the days I feel good and okay I know this is true but at the absolute worst I don't believe this, I think that this will be all I feel that this will be the new normal. I'm dying by inches and I don't think I will recover.

However I want to leave this message of hope.

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 11

My sister has depression. This is exactly how she is, but she also has anger issues... so it's a tough combination to deal with.

Hopefully you will get better - i'm thinking you can help yourself more than anyone else can - others just have to support you with love. =)
    And good food. =)

I have depression as well and I completely understand everything you've said, especially about lying about the fact that you're not okay coz you don't wanna worry anyone. Its a vicious cycle, you don't tell anyone and because you don't tell anyone, you get worse and worse. It feels hopeless sometimes but remember you've survived this far! Keep going and keep fighting! 😊

I love you waffles we are gonna kick depressions ass ok?😎🤓

I feel you. I tell myself the same things, though some days it is a whole lot harder to put on that fake smile. I'm glad I do have some good friends out there that are willing to listen to and support me when I need it the most.

Good myTake, especially the image at the end. :)

Your take was so amazing and everything rang true for how I feel with my depression.

I've been depressed as long as I can remember. The one about being sick isn't always a lie. I've been so depressed it's literally made me sick.

I'm sorry to hear that
      I hope that we both find peace someday if not in this life, then the afterlife

I've been on antidepressants for close to 20 years. I've heard a lot of people say things like... you just need to cheer up, you just need a different outlook, you're just making things out to be worse than they are.
    How fortunate they are that this works for them. I asked my doctor wtf was wrong with me, I don't have any reason to want to jerk the steering wheel and finally be free of it! I was told something that still helps me to this day.
    THERE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ANYTHING WRONG WITH YOU TO FEEL THIS WAY.
    My brain doesn't produce the right amount of chemicals, plain and simple. Some people take vitamin supplements to help their body stay on track, I take an antidepressant. I was fortunate that the first one prescribed was exactly right for me. My explosive temper was curbed, I stopped fantasizing about that steering wheel... not completely, but it became just a thought instead of a desire. I'm not numb, I still feel ups and downs, my meds take the edge off and help give me a little room to remember that it's okay to feel this way, it is okay to give myself the space I need to think, and more importantly, I can recognize the difference between a bad day and inner struggle.
    Knowing you have depression is the best way to make it through these times.

I have had depression since I was a child. When I was younger, I didn't understand why I would feel sad sometimes. I had friends, I had family who loved me. But inside it was very hard for me to stay happy.

The best way I deal with it is to ignore it. I don't know what else to do, that's why distractions are great.

I've been into depression too.
    You're worthy of recovery.
    And you will

I was depressed about 3 years ago never told anyone

I'm so sorry to hear that. Are you better now?

Message me if you EVER feel that way

I should be fine Hun I was only like that because a dog I had for 10 years died I hadn't left the house or talked anyone but my mom for 1 1/2 months and she had been drinking a lot so she was screaming at me saying I was going to fail in life and compared me to her sister so I highly doubt it will happen again

Same dude ❤️ Good take!

What Guys Said 6

Every one has depretion and if you don't have just depretion you also get anger issues

Great take - I encourage totally everyone with Mental Health Issues to share the stories, it could help someone who is struggling to find a footing in this new world for them.

Too right. I totally feel you man!
    And I am myself dealing with it with nobody by my side but thankfully there is the internet to get me distracted for the time being. Every minute I do not spend in front of my computer or sleeping is a minute of suffering and misery in depression.

First time depression kicked in was when I was 13 years old and then it became worse and worse, especially when I was 15 years old and it kept increasing. Many things weird happened and my body was also "different". It lasted for years until I was 19 and 20 years old. On record that was the longest depression (6 years!) I survived and here comes a new wave of it.

I still feel like the only way out is taking my own life since the beginning.

Whenever I feel sad I always think you know what, life is temporary. We have 85 years to do what we want and then we die. So eat what you want to eat, work at whatever job you want to work at, visit the countries you want to visit, fuck the girls you want to fuck or at least try to anyways lol.

I try not to lie to myself since it just makes the relapse feel worse.

Instead I acknowledge my flaws and make an effort to change the things that can be changed and accept the things I can't.

I know I'll never be the person I want to be.

i dont do this.. i just come clean and say "damm, im depressed as fuck"