8 Things That Happen To You After You Turn 30

I probably don't have to tell you twice, but if you're under thirty, enjoy those years. It's not to say great things won't or can't happen to you after thirty, because they do, but under 30 you have youth on your side. Take full advantage of your youth by going on adventures, partying, dating, traveling, finish school, go crazy with your fashion, hair, and make-up; do it all because when you turn thirty, though you may not feel any different, the way people treat you and view you and what you do with your life, changes, sometimes very dramatically.

1. You will be called old. A lot.

I remember announcing on FB that I was turning 30. I've never had a problem really proclaiming my age, because I've always felt it's nothing but a number, but the comment brigade really laid into that age. I think a lot of my friends, a lot of them former co-workers, always just assumed I was their same age, and so when they heard 30, it was like really, you're thhhhhhiiiiirrrrrrrrttttttyyyyy? My God, that's soooooo ooollllldddddddddd. It was almost instantaneous how some of their opinions of me and other people I've encountered sometimes chang just because I'm not five to ten years younger than I actually am. I mean, I guess I can take that as a compliment because they assumed I was much younger. A lot of younger people treat 30 and beyond like a disease and to say you didn't if you're older now, when you were younger, is probably not really the truth.

The age thing happens on GaG a lot too. I was commenting on something pretty innocuous and this person starting screaming (in all caps) about how I was, "an old hag that was jealous that I wasn't young anymore and should mind my business before my eggs dry up." The question wasn't even a hot button issue, I had not actually spoken to the person who made the comment at all before they made it, but they felt the need to attack my age like it had some bearing on the question for absolutely no reason. It was just crazy, but it's the internet I guess, you can't really be all that surprised these days, but youth is no longer necessarily at your side and you don't really have that to fall back on, and a lot of younger people consider that a weakness to exploit. Oh, and don't ever think you can use your new found maturity to explain to them how life works, or the realities of being a grown up, or how they think their life will be so different when they turn 30, but it really won't. They'll never listen until they get to be your age.

2. If you aren't settled or settling in life, prepare for judgement day

No one will think it's cute when you're a 30 something and you don't have a job and aren't living on your own. If you haven't got some things figured out and paying your own bills everyone will have an opinion on you and your life and it will be relentless. One of my guy friends had some really unfortunate situations happen to him and had to move back home, and it's just never ending how people try to make him feel bad about it even though he is trying his absolute hardest to get out of the situation. Definitely worse for a guy, but not all that much better if you're a girl in the same boat so as you near that 3-0, if you aren't making some real life plans, just prepare yourself for how people will view you.

3. And speaking of what people think, if you aren't married and/or having kids...

Ironically we live in a time period where at least in the US, the divorce rate is super high, and yet, marriage is still hailed as the thing you have to do and need to get serious about by 30 or you'll end up old and alone, aka, sad and pathetic. You start to feel this when you're friends, if you aren't married, start to all get married. They start excluding you from their activities a lot of the time because you're the single one, and they are just in some different world. Add to that if you don't want kids or don't have them or aren't wanting them, you're constantly asked why, why, whyyyyy don't you want or have kids. Just like if you don't live by yourself, people constantly judge you for it and try to talk you into having kids and convince you that your choice not to, if that is your choice, is wrong. Your parents, as they grow older and want to have grand kids and see you settled will especially start letting you know and putting pressure on you to get married and/or have some kids.

4. You're supposed to be the responsible one...

Lest you forget, you're 30 now. People are basically pretty forgiving when you get in trouble in your 20s. You're so young and everyone makes mistakes, and you're learning, but at 30, all that disappears. You're the responsible one. You're supposed to know and handle situations 'like an adult,' because you are one. No one considers you a kid at 30. You're grown and society, wants you to act like one so forget about youthful indiscretions.

5. You become physically damaged slowly but surely...

It's a bit of an over-exaggeration to say that you break down completely at thirty, but you do start noticing little things here and there like first grey hairs, your body becomes just a little rusty when it comes to your energy level and being able to exercise at your former peak levels, you aren't able to easily lose weight like you used to, your hearing does change especially if you have had headphones permanently plugged into your ears for an entire decade. You may experience, if you haven't already, more vision problems. It's not what happens to you at 50, but it's the beginnings of the true aging process that you're first really confronted with.

6. You have to do an internet search to find out what's happening...

One day you're cool and then you totally aren't. In middle, high school, and college you were in the thick of things. When some new trend came along, some new song, some new dance, some new fashion trend, some new slang, you figure it out because everyone is doing it, snap chatting it, and experiencing it at the same time, but when you're thirty, you're like at work when all this is happening in the world. Your friends have mortgages and kids, they aren't doing the hottest pepper challenges and trying to figure out what they are going to do for their 100 of something challenge for YouTube. You will slowly but surely both mature and lose touch with "the youth." Even when it comes to music, everything everyone else is listening to starts to become less cool to you and no new artist can really do what the artists you grew up listening to could do so there is this cut off in your collection whereby only a few new artists as opposed to a range, or what's trending, really and truly slip through into your collection.

7. You're too old to wear that...

Ever see a 30 year old try to walk into the office in a halter and mini skirt or go out with the kids in some short shorts and a plunging top or get away with wearing a t-shirt and tennis shoes with your tux? It just doesn't work. Even as you fight tooth and nail for the look and rationalize that if you still got it, flaunt it, you'll hear that you're too old for that or to do that or to wear that, or its inappropriate for someone "your age."

People expect your style to mature. You can't just go out anymore to a nice restaurant in your jeans and flip flops because you're so young or you're trying to like rebel against your parents and society. At thirty it comes off as largely immature and pathetic to people, especially on the dating scene. You might really like a trend you see a 20 something or younger wearing, but 'because of your age,' people don't think you in particular should wear it or they think you should be shopping in the grown up section now. This extends to hair and make-up as well. Certain hairstyles and make-up styles are considered to be very youthful and childish and when you wear them as a 30+ year old, whether as a man or woman, people will let you know.

8. If you're still dating, things will get "complicated"

In your 20's people are a lot more carefree, don't have things tying them down, don't have all that much responsibility, but when you hit your 30's the dating pool becomes this weird and stressful place. You have to worry about if someone is actually already married or if they are a single mom or dad or if you, yourself have kids. You worry a lot more about whether someone is on your level financially. You may be looking to settle down as instructed by your now insistent parents, and so dating can become looking for a spouse and a lot more serious than it was when you were just looking to hook-up. There can be a lot more deal breakers that wouldn't have bothered you a few years back. You CANNOT deal with drama like you may have done previously. You might have to deal with people who are divorced and issues that stem from that especially if they have what will most likely be young kids they still have to take care of.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 18

The first sign of what to expect at 30 comes at 25 when the knees start popping while descending stairs.

Mine are FUBAR , British Army ( inc Para ) service & years of combat sports have wrecked them !!

good list
    re: #5 this is definitely true. engaging in some strenuous activity can result in days of soreness afterwards.

re #7 i can keep up on most things the one thing i do find myself googling once in a while are acronyms sometimes used. find myself on urban dictionary occasionally looking up what the hell MGOTW (or whatever it is) and similar things mean

The only MGTOW I'm concerned with is Maximum Gross Take Off Weight. Man I'm an airplane geek. 🤓🛫

I remember that comment, and I do like this take. Although you can only take the horse to the water , but can't make him drink it... that's the sad part of it all. I always listened to those who were older , so I wouldn't be learning things the hard way. Wisdom comes from those who already been there , not visa versa..

Yep, that's all true, unfortunately :(

and when you get to 40 you will cease to give a shit

Year, that's true I be 40 by the end of the year and I have cease giving a shit.

Turning 30 was bad, but I do not even care about turning 40.

See as for the judgmental stuff I really couldn't care less. Let people judge me for whatever because if they aren't judging me for those specific things (living with parents or not having a job or whatever) they would find something else to judge me on. Why? Because they're shitty people! And they're not worth my time/breath/thoughts etc.

As for dating to be fair I had a pretty crappy time of that in my 20's anyway so I highly doubt much will change in my 30's lol

To add a little bit more. The only people I know in their 30's who have everything you're "supposed" to have by that time. A nice house, kids car etc have gotten it in one of three ways.

They worked their asses off and sacrificed, didn't go on holidays and rarely went on nights out and generally didn't have much fun.
      Or, They're massively in debt.
      Or, they've had everything handed to them by their parents.

Fair points

MOST people that say "You're too old to wear that..." don't have the body for it, that's why they say it. As far as the rest goes, their just OLD 30 somethings.
    Keep active, keep up with the times & WHO CARES what others think or do.

Guess I knew this, but hate reading it. Plus I've never dated so I'm pretty fucked I guess

im a man none of this applies to me.

If this hasn't applied you at this point specifically as a person, sure, but many of the things listed have nothing to do with your gender.

Heck for #1 people still think I'm in my early 20s
    #4. Always was
    #7. Nope, jeans and t-shirt or sports coat and "above." I hate doing collared shirts
    #8. Duh... Though that can be said of people in their 20s

Hm, yeah.
    We are not getting any younger either :(

Great take, but heck even at my age, 26, number 8 still applies. I've met women who have kids now or have been divorced. I feel sorta behind though as I have friends who are married or engaged and I haven't been in a serious relationship of have had an official girlfriend even though I've dated.

Most of this hardly applies to me. I'm the best I've ever looked, am richer, stronger and couldn't give a fuck what society thinks. Luckily my gyming makes any t shirt and jeans look good. In fact, the only thing that is missing in life is my clarity with women. But I have a 25 yr old friends with benefits, my primary partner and another play partner. I'm just building in strength as I get older. In fact, in a few months time I've got plans to increase my sex life and take back that which I missed in my youth.

Lol I'm like the living Benjamin button. The other thing with many guys that are late bloomers, is what we went through at school and 20s was fucking hell. There is no adversity life can throw at me anymore. Seriously. Like only a terminal illness can be thee worst thing. I have have experienced everything all these "30 challenges" continuously throughout my life. I love 30s, and I am sure as hell going to be an aggressive go getter in work, love and life.

A lot of these are women's issues.

Very interesting.

It won't matter at all any more if you don't care or give a flying fuck about what others think and judge you for, especially for your age. Besides, kids and marriage are not for everyone anyway. Fuck what all those people insisted, think and felt that everyone should be like them and conform. Because the only real truth is a vey deep and very dark one. Everyone eventually dies no matter what, marriage, kids, etc., all but desires and delusions to try and fight and deny and postpone the inevitable. More births would technically mean more deaths eventually.

The bottom line is that we only have so much control of our lives, our realities and our very existence and what will happen and occur. Everything is hard, unfair, rigged and stacked against you the moment you had been brought into existence into this world. It's just rolling the dice. If everything had been going well in your life and tou haven't experienced some if the worst and awful things in this world, then you are the lucky few. Same goes for those that are borned to the best, loving and caring families or if they're born in the "Elite" Upper Class or something.

Good take.

1. Yes. People on here will criticize you for being older - usually along the lines of "you're 36 don't you have anything to do" but at the same time, the knowledge of someone who has been through what you're asking about is exactly why you're here. Of course, the same dopes get all offended if nobody shows them respect because they're young.

2. I settled and everything in my mid 20s. It all came apart not long after I turned 30. Now I am rebuilding it. Life doesn't always follow society's expectations, and anyone who has a problem can mind their own business.

3. I am neither, and constantly encounter questions and knowing winks towards this. It's ten times worse for my girlfriend, who is forever enduring people demanding to know when we're getting married and starting a family.

4. Step up when you need to. The rest of the time, fuck it. Drink straight from the liquor bottle and go on the swings.

5. I've been greying a bit since my early 20s. I got my first glasses at 32. I am also the slimmest and most muscular I've ever been... okay, I was slimmer in high school and university, but I have more muscle now than I ever did. I still fit in the suit I wore to my high school formal dance.

6. You just need to find the right outlets. Reddit is a big help in finding out about new stuff, and picking the right internet radio stations can turn you on to new music in a way that real radio stations with their endless Top 40 never will. GaG also helps sometimes!

7. I wear pretty much the same shit I wore when I was in high school. I don't think jeans and a t-shirt will ever go out of style.

8. Not true! I dated in my 30s (remember, everything fell apart for me a few years ago) and all the drama, short flings, weird first-and-only dates and wild hookups still happen.

What Girls Said 13

You will put on weight.
    You will always be tired.
    You will still try, often successfully, to do the same things you could do in your twenties but pay a steeper price for it the next day (hangovers, sore muscles after doing a big run or climbing etc)

https://postimg.org/image/5wul2skdf/
    Taken 3 years ago, when I was 30. People still often think I am underage, and I work in a liquor store!

I guess I can expect this to happen a week from tomorrow...

Actually, a lot of these have already happened, or have been happening to me for years.

For number one, I remember mentioning when I was twenty-five that I was on I think it was a buzzfeed article. I think it was an article about the 90's, and I was commenting that I remembered all of that. A lot of people were mentioning their ages and what they remembered. I didn't see the harm in it. A young girl told me to quit thinking that I was young, and then called me Grandma. I wasn't even thinking I was young when I mentioned my age. That was the first instance where I was called old. I'm used to it now, but back then I was thinking: What the hell? It was such an innocent comment I made.

For number 3, people have been telling me that I should have kids for years. I didn't want kids when I was younger, and that has not changed for me, and it isn't going to. I'm happy with a life free of that kind of responsibility. I love kids, I love my little nephew, but I do want a kid myself.

For number 5, I've noticed the grey hairs for about three years now. There aren't a lot, but I notice them once and a while. I don't care. Of all the things that can happen to my body as I get old, the grey hairs I care less about. I am actually worried about the tiredness though. I am always full of energy still. I am not looking forward to those days when I don't have any.

I'm already doing number 6, and I have been since my early 20s. I've never really been up to date with things like music, new movies or slang. I'll hear about something, and then I look it up. I remember even at 22 thinking that I preferred the music I grew up with, and none of the new stuff I was hearing then.

I used to have bangs years ago, and someone told me I needed to get rid of them because I looked like I was trying to be a teenager. That was the first time I'd heard that bangs were only for teens. My mother in her fifties has bangs. I seen older people wearing bangs all the time. I even pointed this out to the person who me that. They told me it was because those people don't look like teenagers, that I just do. I still don't get it to this day. Without bangs, I do look older so maybe that was their point, but I still don't get how I was trying to look like a teenager when not only teens wear them.

I don't think my thirties will be too bad. I feel more sure of myself than I did in my twenties and I am in a better place in life.

I ran out of room, but the only thing that bothers me about turning 30 is my lack of relationship experience. I have accomplished a lot in life, and I am in a good place in life. However, I have never had a relationship. I'm going to be a virgin in my 30s.

I will never let go of my short shorts or mini skirts. They are very dear to me 😘😘

If you're a woman after 30 your sex drive will begin to increase. Unfortunately after 30 his sex drive begins to decrease. So get familiar with terms like MILF and Cougar and don't be afraid to be either.

That's fair... Although not all of us like that , I'm not

@Djaaaaaay Is your sex drive what it was in your late teens early 20's? Not all men lose their sex drive but most will experience less of a sex drive. However there exceptions to every rule and perhaps you're the exception.

Yes.. I'm the same as 20 for some reason. Maybe alittle more tbh. I also lived with a MILF for12 years in a relationship. So I can relate to that also. Best young years of my youth. Now it's my turn do the young one. And i already have that to.

Lol I'm 20 and this has already been bothering me for some time

Good take. But for me personally most of these won't apply to me because #1 if I get called "old" oh well whatever I wouldn't mind and I have a baby face so I look younger than my age lol. For #2 I do hope to be settled and stuff by the time I turn 30 but by settled I mean having a successful career. For #3 I'm never having kids and I don't care what people say or think. For #4 being responsible is not bad especially when it comes to work but other than that outside of work id still go out/chill with friends/party and have funn. For #5 I'm 18 right now but I do exercise a lot and I plan on exercising for a long time I mean look at Jlo she's in her 40s and looks really young haha. When you exercise you won't be "damaged" except the hair but you could always diy it. For #7 I'd still wear whatever I want no matter what people say to me. If U wanna wear something and it looks good on you who's to tell you not to wear it. And lastly for #8 well dating is already complicated for me right now and I mean for settling down and stuff I'm never having kids so I'm not too serious On the dating aspect although it'd be nice to have a boyfriend. But yeah that's why those things personally won't effect me when I turn 30 but overall your my take was good! :)

I'm 19 and I'm panicking about the idea of being 30! Not really excited to turn thirty now lol. Good take though! :)

i'm 6 months away from 30... but i got carded at the liquor store tonight, for the first time ever. guy didn't even believe i was over 25 lol.

for the past few years, i've started dressing 30, not 20. and i've been physically damaged since i was in my teens (competitive dance + gymnastics + teaching aerobics=lots of injuries). but i've lived independently, ie: without financial support from parents, for 11 years and have been a responsible contributing member of society since i got my first job at 14 years old.

i am a university student, not married, and child-free, all by choice. and, honestly, i'm really glad that i waited and did things on my terms, instead of studying something i despised, popping out babies because everyone else was doing it, or jumping into a loveless marriage with the wrong person.

I believe that people should go through life at their own pace. Some people age faster than others. Some people mature faster than others. I believe the 20-something activities you mentioned above are not activities that should be practiced or even admired by 20-somethings. I believe that if you start living "like you're 30" when you're 20, then actually being 30 no longer becomes a shocker for you, and you get the perks of being more mature for your age. I am 25 right now, and honestly, I disagree with the immature behaviors you listed that are associated with 20-something-year-olds (partying, wearing crazy outfits and hairdos, etc.). Those behaviors are not healthy and productive. I would never do them. The simple life is good for me.

Hmm... interesting. Thank you for this take. I have actually been worrying about it, and laughing at the karma of when I was 21 calling all 30 somethings "sooooo old" haha.
    Hopefully, because people generally think I'm much younger than I am, I will be able to just never disclose my age for a while and let people assume I'm younger. Or maybe I'll just embrace it haha, it doesn't actually seem too bad now. And honestly, I think the current 30 year olds are younger than they were in previous generations, like I've seen some friendship groups with 25-32 year olds and things like that, a 25 year old would never have chilled with an over 30 years ago. It's different these days. 30 is old, but it's not OLD, it's just older... past the ages where you can be an idiot and blame it on your age.

I remember being like 24 or 25 in college. I was working with an all women's group on some business assignment. Everybody was telling their age, where most were young, but there was one that was like 35. When I shared my age, they freaked out.
    "I didn't know you were THAT old!" This was only at 24ish. Fast forward to 28 years old, I get the same reaction.

I just turned 30 on the 9th, and honestly, I had dreaded that moment; just really depressed becuase your 20s are like your superhero years where you feel invincible. You feel like it's going to take a LONG time to get old and that you have time for everything. In fact, a childhood friend of mine turned 30 today. I responded that she was officially half dead like me. Man, what is it about 30?

Yes, I noticed the scroll thing where my age category is not exactly the first few choices anymore. I used to feel good about that. Now, I'm worried about security not checking my ID anymore every time I go to the casino. I used to try to pass on purpose without showing my ID and they would stop me, and it would feel good.

I've never judged those who were adults, but still live with their parents. America is not really the same as it was a few years back. Lots of kids have had to return home due to economic changes. Nobody said life was easy. If you were able to leave home even into your teens, great for you, but not everybody is lucky. I'm just fortunate to have parents that understand and do want to help, and for that, I will surely repay them once I'm on my feet. I sometimes can't stand this American view, becuase you have cultures like Japan, Italian, and Hispanics that truly value and honor the idea of family and helping families. But if you're still with parents, Americans will obliterate you with guilt.

Finding the first gray hair is going to freak the crap out of me. Sometimes I'm afraid to look. As far as settling down, I have no ideas of my own and have never touched a guy in my life. I don't plan to change those just because I'm aging.

Right now, I'm using my thirties as an era of better transformation; to be wiser, not let little things care for me, etc. I'm working out, trying to eat clean, ad stick to natural resources. So, I'm trying to not live like a 30-year-old.

It really is some of the realities you never thought about before, like the ID thing, that pop up sometimes and catch you off guard, like, man this IS the first time someone called me ma'am instead of misses or didn't check my ID.

I couldn't agree more with you on that living at home bit. I mean the alternative for my guy friend is that he be living on the street, but lucky for him, he has a family that can help support him until he finds his way and he is not just sitting there, he's trying... so why do so many think it's okay or right to make him feel bad about that. If he were mooching I could see, but he's doing far from it. I do admire the family style too of the countries and people you listed, because I think a lot of us have lost touch with older generations and become disconnected from family because everyone has to live so far apart. At least families used to stay close together if not live in the same house, but that era is long gone.

soooo scary!!! my biggest fear is aging... im almost there lol.
    BUT... if u live a healthy and active lifestyle and are a happy person, who cares!