Death is a part of life, we cannot have one without the other, so if you're morbidly intrigued like me, you might find these facts interesting!
1. You’re born with 270 bones but will die with roughly 206, depending on your development. Bones tend to fuse together with age. For instance your skull is in 5 separate parts as a baby but will fuse together as you get older. This makes babies malleable and easy to birth.
2. After around 3 days of death, the enzymes of your digested dinner begin to eat you. It’s also what causes the bloating of your corpse.
3. This year in the USA, there have been 9,403 deaths due to gun violence with 429 of those being children.
4. 450 – 600 people die every year from falling out of bed.
5. Your life is more at risk if your doctor has sloppy handwriting. In the US, poor handwriting kills around 7,000 people annually as errors result from unclear abbreviations and dosage indications.
6. Every 40 seconds, someone commits suicide.
7. In the UK there’s a rent a mourner service to fill your funeral with fake friends.
8. Around thirteen people a year die as a result of vending machines and that’s twice as many as
are killed by sharks.
9. Left hander? Apparently your life expectancy is shorter than that of a right handed person as thousands die annually using products made for those who are right handed. You’re more likely to die between three to six years earlier.
10. As many as a 1000 people die every year in this as a result of autoerotic asphyxiation so maybe try getting your jollies in a less dramatic way?
11. Around 153,000 people will die on your birthday.
12. Every hour at least one person is killed by a drunk driver.
13. There are around 200 bodies on the top of Mount Everest and they’re used as land marks by other climbers, just one of the reasons climbing that thing ain't for me.
14. Sharks kill 12 people a year while people kill 11,417 sharks per hour.
15. 80% of all the men born in the Soviet Union in 1923 died during the Second World War.
16. At least 1 in 25 people sentenced to the death penalty in the US are innocent.
17. In 1845, President Andrew Jackson's pet parrot was removed from his funeral for swearing.
18. The human head can stay conscious for around 15 to 20 seconds after it’s been decapitated.
19. Since its completion in 1937, more than 600 people have committed suicide by jumping off San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.
20. There are over 200 euphemisms for death in the English language, those include: kick the bucket, gone to a better place, popped their clogs, turned their toes up, fallen of their perch, given up the ghost and my personal favourite, brown bread.
Do you have any cool facts to add to this list?