5 Things You're Just Not Entitled To

If you live in a developed country like the United States, Great Britain, or Canada, then you know all too well the luxuries afforded to us that many others in the world simply don’t. And I don’t mean cars, video games or computers. I’m talking about freedom of speech without fear of decapitation and right to a public education type luxuries.

However, especially in this day and age, so many of us have lost what it means to be appreciative of these things that others quite literally die for on a daily basis. Not only that, but these luxuries we have also gives many of us an entitled sense, even if we don’t think we have it. We think that things we deserve are things that we are entitled to, and that’s not the case. What do I mean? I’m referring to things we think we’re owed, but, truthfully, we’re not. And we never will be. Here’s a list of things we may deserve, but, frankly, we aren’t entitled to.

**Warning: This Take isn’t for the easily offended. And I’m serious.

1. An Explanation

As a teacher, I know first hand what it’s like to deal with people who believe you have to explain yourself to them. And it’s one thing to explain The Taming of the Shrew to a class of sophomores. But then there’s the other explanations. Why am I doing this? Why do I have to listen to you? Or, for a more relatable set of examples: Why did you break up with me? Why do I have to be on time to work? Why do I have to do what my boss says when I know a better way? Why do I have to have good grades to play college sports? Why did my mother choose drugs over me? Why did my dad leave when I was only 2 years old?

Here’s your answer:

Because.

That’s it. The world nor any of its living beings don’t owe you an explanation for anything. You aren’t entitled to it. Do you deserve one? Probably. Doesn’t mean you will be getting it, and sometimes, you just need to accept it.

2. Another Person

And I mean ANYTHING about that person, regardless of ethnicity, gender, and nationality. Their sexual history, sexual partners, education level, income status, body parts, touching them, relationships, phone call, text message…nothing. Many of us have this attitude that we own the other person, even if we don’t think that. If you take your girlfriend out to dinner for 4 months straight every Saturday without fail, she doesn’t have to have sex with you. If you make your boyfriend breakfast before he goes to work and give him back rub before he goes to bed, that doesn’t mean he has to reciprocate. If a woman walks down the street with an unusually short skirt, that doesn’t mean you can have what’s underneath it. And if a black person is walking down the street with a huge afro, that doesn’t mean you can touch it without their permission. And trust me, the afro thing happens because it happened to both my sister and I on more than one occasion in more than one area.

3. Respect

Sorry, not entitled. People say respect isn’t given, it’s earned, and it’s true. I’ll admit, I had to learn this lesson the hard way myself. I taught freshman my first year teach in 2013 when I was 23 years old, and I got my ass handed to me the first couple of months. I didn’t quit and eventually gained control, but don’t think that having a title, job, or status in society means people should just automatically respect you.

4. An Education

And I’m referring to an education on any level. From kindergarten through your PhD, you just aren’t entitled to it. Do some of us live in countries where we can have one? Yes. Doesn’t mean you’re entitled. America has free public education until 12th grade, or approximately 17-18 years old. Then college you have to pay for. Is it expensive? Yes. Are you guaranteed a job afterwards? No. Will you drown in student loan debt? Probably. But a lot of countries don’t even have the option. So while you’re over here whining about a LUXURY, because that’s exactly what an education is, just remember, some people don’t have it.

5. Acknowledgment

Are you the best running back on the team? Awesome. Did you get a higher score a test than a classmate? Cool beans. Do you have more experience for a promotion than a colleague? Good for you. No one cares. Part of my job is to tell students that they can be anything they want to be as long as they put their minds to it, but the truth is, that’s a lie. A huge lie. A huge lie I’m paid to tell. You can score higher on a graduation test than a classmate and they get accepted to a college and you don’t. It’s very possible that you’re a great athlete, but the mediocre lad next to you was chosen to go pro over you. Just because you are more qualified for a position doesn’t mean you will get it. Life’s not fair.

I’m sure most people reading this already knew some of the things I mentioned. But for those of you who needed a bit of a reality check, there you go. The point of this Take was to explain what you aren’t owed, but truthfully, none of us are owed anything. Few people realize this. Even fewer believe it. But that’s just the truth.

EllieLexis513 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 37

not entitled to love. If you are an asshole, and a manipulative piece of shit, you should be alone

And this is why feminism needs to die.

Hmm. Thing is, yes, things are owed if you perform. It's a two way street. I am indeed owed things. Let me give examples.

1. The government wants me to be a law abiding, tax paying citizen who will join the military and defend the country if they need me to. (such as in a draft.) Hence, they owe me stuff in return. It's a two way street.

2. Women expect to be treated decently, or that I would help a woman out if she was in peril. Hence, women do owe me things too. It's a two way street.

3. Employers want you to work hard, arrive on time, not slack off, do accurate work. Hence, they owe me stuff too. It's a two way street.

4. If I get married, my wife will expect me to be there for her, to risk my life to keep her safe if needed, etc. Hence, she owes me stuff too. It's a two way street.

I don't use bumper stickers but if I did, I'd want that last pic as one.

Yes, I agree with this. My generation is very entitled. So am I. I regularly come to expect these things from other people. I try not to though.

I think to each person they are the most important person in their lives, whatever anybody says. I think what people fail to realize is this is how everybody feels. Everybody gets to control their life, and that bothers some people unfortunately.

In short, you are basically owned nothing. People have this attitude towards life sometimes too. They feel that because life "screwed" them life is in debt and they are owed success. Nope, that's not true at all.

Good MyTake

I agree with you on most of this except for the respect part. I think what you meant by that is "honor is not an entitlement." We all are entitled to basic respect. There is a difference between honor and basic respect. If people didn't give basic respect each other then this world would be so corrupt because people would be so rude to each other. People would've crossed boundaries and became bullies. The definition of honor is "high respect" and "distinction". Honor is something that is earned while basic respect is just good old manners and it is expected to be given to people even when you don't know them unless they did something that made you lose all respect.

Nope, I meant respect and you're not entitled to it. You don't have to be mean to someone to be disrespectful. You can be nice, but that doesn't mean you respect the person.

uh bye bye lol, and you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. That whole take is all of your opinions, not what people actually accept as fact. You wish it was how the way the world operated but too bad that's not how people generally think. Good luck with trying to get people to think like you lol. You're just a nobody telling us what we are not entitled to...

And yes I am entitled to it. Who the hell do you think you are?

True. I have stupidly thought that I was entitled to be loved and to get a girlfriend. Now I have learned that no one owes me anything and for all the possibilities out there, I am probably going to die alone because all of the women i have ever liked either never liked me back or were already taken. I had the belief that if i was nice to a woman, that it would entitle me to being with them. No, all that does is make me a douche for expecting someone to do something for me if i be nice to them.

if an education is a luxury how can you even consider and advanced society? you are basically sabotaging the future of your country by not giving everyone the best of the best education they can get.

also you are not entitled to give an explanation why you did something but the person that did is also not entitled to understanding from the person they did it to.

I have a 20 yr. old Daughter. We discussed this subject recently. To my surprise, she SLAMMED her own generation. In addition to the entitlement attitude, she said that her generation...

Wants it easy
    Want it given to them
    Want it now
    And, not willing to put the effort/work required to get what they want.

By the way, my Daughter earned 15 College Credits in High School. She is in College now and expects to graduate a Semester early!

I'm a PROUD DAD!

I mostly agree with you. However, if I buy her dinner, she owes me sex. Plain and simple.

Not entitled to respect?

upload.wikimedia.org/.../...(painted_portrait).jpg

TRIGGERED

2. an explanation

Yes, in some cases you aren't. But say a cop came into your house, shot your parents and left. You are entitled to an explanation. You are entitled to an investigation. You are entitled to justice. Because these are people serving for the collective good, using money collected from you and everyone else. And in this kind of contract, you are entitled to things like an explanation.
    If you take a job, your boss witholds 3 months salary, fires you, has you banned from the building and security no longer lets you in. You are entitled to an explanation because you signed a contract, a two way agreement.

3. respect

It depends how you define respect. You dont have to think highly of me. But I am entitled to not being disrespected or harmed by others. Its a fundamental human right, and I do believe in those.

I dont think torture during police interrogations, or in prison is ok. They do owe you decent treatment. Maybe you dont agree. But I personally choose to believe in things like basic human rights, and I think everyone IS entitled to them and owed them. Because I choose to believe the world can be a better place.

4. an education

Yes I am. As a citizens, who pays taxes. My parents and grandparents having paid theirs. I AM entitled to a public education, it is my constitutionnal right (in France). The state is funded by the citizens, and the citizens decided that public education is something they wanted. So funds from the state (which come from the citizens) are funnelled into this education system, and every citizen is entitled to reap the benefits of the system they pay for, that their parents and grandparents paid for.
    So yes, actually, as much as you're entitled to eat an apple you bought in a supermarket, you ARE entitled to a public education.

The state isn't this magically entity that rules over us just because. It is there by the grace and hard earned money of the people to serve the people. And the people are entitled to its service. Period.

Its a two way street. If im paying taxes on literally everything, youd best believe Im owed. If Im going to be drafted to "defend my country", youd best believe Im owed sth in return. I think a "nobody owes you anything" attitude is just pure complacency and wed still be living under monarchic rule if the population was like that. Your countrys leaders demand your money, time, alliegance and sometimes life. As a citizen, they DO owe you some things.

Morse code gag?

im clapping so hard my palms are disintegrating
    bravo! *crying* BRAVO!!

life is unairl, but yea, it seems the harsh truth is no one is entitled to anything

I agree with all except number 1. If someone makes a B. S. claim, they should make an explination

yeah and in turn they shouldn't expect anything from me cause nobody is anymore special than I am

good mytake. the entitlement culture, mostly caused by feminism is beyond disgusting.

@Callieeee no i got 3 sweet kids, sorry.

and it's not my fault you're obnoxious and entitled like some 5 year old child, so don't get mad at me-go get some help...

I agree with these for the most part but the problem with education is it's getting so expensive nowadays that it's getting to the point where only people who can afford education can get one.

School may not for everyone but it should be available for those who want to go, especially if they need the skills for the jobs they want.

exactly, feminazis need to understand all this

• More from Guys
    17

What Girls Said 8

This is no opinion! Its fact!!! Love this my take!!!

I get whee you are coming from, but I think that "I dont owe you anything!" attitude is why so many divorces happen. For a good marriage you have to compromise and yes sometimes you owe your partner something, despite all the feminist hot air.

Um what? I AM very much entitled to an explanation on a great number of things. When insurance decides not to pay as much as they're supposed I have the right to an explanation of benefits that details what is or is not covered. I AM entitled to an education, that's why it's the fucking law that children are required to go to school so we don't end up like you apparently, stupid. That doesn't include college, and it's debatable as to whether or not it should, but you thinking that people don't have an entitlement to truth and knowledge is disturbing.

The rest I agree with. No one is entitled to other people, and the only respect we are enticed to is personal protection under the law. Meaning you can call me a bitch all you like and hate my ideas and opinions, but if you spit in my face and hit me, you're going to jail.

So you're half correct and half fascist... not exactly something I'd brag about but you do you😒

lol wow you sound like a lot of fun... NOT

I didn't ignore anything. you said a lot of blathery, entitled bullshit that is simply common. Amusing, but not thoughtful.

@feminismisnarcissism yeah, sure. Keep telling yourself that old man.👍🏼

I just hope to god you're a 40 year old virgin. I'd hate to think of your ignorant spawn still percolating through the gene pool.

I honestly couldn't agree more and was talking about this with my family earlier. There are a lot of people, especially in my age group, who show very little to no appreciation for the opportunities they have, how incredibly lucky they are to be born in the US rather than in a war-torn third world country, and who have great senses of entitlement.
    In some of these other countries, people are executed in cruel and inhumane ways for their religion, sexuality, or simply speaking their minds. Some of them have closed borders in which anyone who tries to escape is executed or imprisoned. There are immigrants risking their lives just for a chance at life as we know it in the US, and there are so many ungrateful people who take what they have for granted.

I disagree with 4. Getting basic education isn't only something everyone is entitled to in MEDCs, but in Europe it's actually a duty - take Germany for instance, you have to complete at least 9th grade. Then you can go off and work but anything before that isn't really your choice as the state even has this school-duty law and Germany is by all means no exception:

upload.wikimedia.org/.../...mpulsory_education.png

So yes, education is something you are very much entitled to.

Entitlement means you have a birthright to it, meaning that there wouldn't laws in place to make sure you get it nor to make sure you actually go. It'd be a choice on some level. So, no it's not.

Yeah I figured she blocked you after saying that shit to you because there was no response. Lol I hate her and I'm glad she's gone.

@Library I don't really think much of people who block others when they realise they have no point in a debate but are too ignorant to admit it at all :P

I disagree with some things you've said. For starters, if two people agree to be in a committed sexual relationship then they are entitled to sex from each other. I can also ask about their sexual history because if they have HIV or some STDs they are hiding from me, then that's just wrong and it makes you a terrible person. If he refuses to tell me his sexual history then I will not be in a relationship with him.
    As for touching people without consent, I agree and it's wrong to randomly go up to a black person and touch their hair.

Oh and respect is not earned. We should all respect each other unless they give us a reason not to. That's just being a decent human being. I can't believe you're a teacher. Hopefully your students think for themselves and not gobble this up.

No one is talking about a boyfriend forcing himself on his girlfriend just because he's entitled to sex from her. But if she doesn't have regular sex with him, then he has the right to leave.
      And by your logic, someone with HIV doesn't have to tell me they have HIV right? Your reasoning is flawed.

Actually, if someone hides HIV from you and you get infected, they will be slammed with a civil and criminal suit. Will go to jail and pay you damages.
      Because you're entitled to not have your health put at serious risl because someone decided to be a terrible human being and lie to you.
      So legally, you are entitled to know that.

Brava! People try to get all if this information out of others so they can judge them lol, when it's not their place. As far as I'm concerned I don't owe anyone an explanation for anything. Their opinion formed has everything to do with them anyway.

if you have no responsibility for how you affect other people-you're entitled. lol so much irony

this was NOT ABOUT YOU. it was about other people - you totally missed the point and demonstrated the entitlement instead. quite hilarious at your age.

Good take.