Ladies, You Gotta Protect Yo Selves!

Unfortunately in this crazy world we live in, there are people hellbent on causing you harm. Some feel like they can take advantage of the fact that you are women, or they feel like women aren't prepared to fight back, or they view you as an easy target. You can't protect yourself from everything and everyone, but you can sure as hell try.

Cabs, Dates, Vacations

For all of the above, let someone know who you're going with (in the case of the cab or uber, their identifying information), where you're going, what you're wearing, what time you expect to arrive or leave and come back, your hotel information, and anything else that may be of importance. If something goes wrong, we all know there is a 48 hour window where odds are police will be able to find you, but after that, things get much more difficult.

Get into that cab/uber on the phone talking to someone letting them know loudly where you're going and your arrival time. That let's the driver know someone is either waiting for you or aware that you're in their cab. Also remember, as friendly as a cabbie or driver may be, they are not your personal buddy for whom you should be sharing all your personal information with like where you work or personal details and information. That's none of their business. Anything you can do prior to being in these situations to help yourself, is a good idea, and a good habit to get into JIC (just in case).

When going on vacation, do not post to your social media where you are going and when. Thieves love this information because it lets them know exactly when to rob you and how just not there, you will be when it happens. Never let anyone know your hotel room number especially on vacation. It is so easy for people to stroll into a hotel with that information, get on that elevator, walk right on down to your room, and when you open it, push their way in. If ever you feel like this information has been compromised or you've had ID, room keys, etc. stolen, switch rooms and/or hotels immediately. Also before entering your room look behind you, and to your left and your right. Someone could simply be waiting on you to come back to your room alone.

Also, obviously get a room that has a peep hole and USE it and advise everyone in the room to use it. You may think that knock on the door is from a friend who just went to go get ice, but look and make sure first! Heed vacation warnings! They are in place for a reason. If a tour guide says don't go off the beaten path...don't go off the beaten path! Criminals love idiot tourists who think they know everything and who feel they are entitled to do anything they want because they are on vacation. Don't be an easy target.

On dates, for at least the first one, unless you know the person well, drive yourself to the date. Do not allow them to pick you up from your house. On dating sites, be extremely picky with who you give out any personal information to.

Walking Alone or At Night

We know you're a big girl and you don't need a babysitter walking you to your car, but unfortunately, you're putting a target on yourself for any criminal looking to cause you harm. Utilize your security guard to walk you to your car or a trusted co-worker. Often times, when an entire staff works late, they will all leave together, and you should do the same to make sure everyone leaves okay.

If you are going for a walk, carry something, pack a self defense weapon with you, and/or walk with your dog. Criminals want the easiest target possible. They don't want someone who looks like they will struggle or fight back or can harm them in anyway. When you carry a big stick, an umbrella, or bring your dog, these are all things that can make it difficult for that person to get you because they can be used as weapons to defend yourself. Obviously stay on a lit well traveled path and if you just have to workout super early or late, workout with someone else, preferably 2-3 persons. Ever so often look over your shoulder to make sure no one is following you and walk wide around corners.

If you must go into a store late at night alone, DO NOT bring your purse. Put your money in a pocket, sock, or your bra, or a waist belt. Thieves love the cover of night and to grab your purse or you as you're busy not paying attention to your surroundings. Don't make yourself a target. Also if the store happens to get robbed, you have nothing visible for them to steal.

You're home and if you see police...

Just as with your hotel, never ever open up your front door without first checking to make sure who it is. If you don't recognize them, talk to them if you want, but only through your closed door.

Please keep in mind there are people who like to pose as cops or delivery men and gain entry unlawfully to your house. Please note...if you see police at your door there are only two ways they may lawfully enter your house no matter what they claim. 1)with a search warrant signed by a judge 2)if anyone within your household, even if it wasn't you, gave them permission to enter. Now if you see them at the door you can lawfully do the following:

1) Be polite and greet police whilst talking to them through your closed door.

2) You may greet them outside after exiting through another door.

3). You may speak with officers through the opening protected by your chain lock or glass door.

4). If police come to your door and you don’t require their help, you may simply decline to answer the door at all. Unless they have a warrant, they will eventually leave.

5)If ever you are suspicious about the cops at your door, call 9-1-1 or the non-emergency number and ask to verify that they are who they say they are. You may inform the officers at your door that you are doing this or not, but be on the safe side if you are suspicious in anyway.

As far as all others, if you are expecting a delivery, when the delivery persons arrive, greet them the way you might the cops, by exiting through another door and meeting them visibly on your front lawn or stoop or ask the delivery persons if they can wait on your stoop while you verify that they are who they say they are. Don't assume that because you see a truck, they are the ones that are supposed to be there. Anybody could take your delivery info from in store and use it to gain entry to your house. When you have people in your house, make sure you call someone and let them know who is there with you. It may also be a good idea to carry some sort of pepper spray, knife, gun, whatever weapons you have on you in case they try to attack you.

It is also a good idea to install cameras. Now-a-days on the news, you see more and more incidents caught on camera from people stealing dogs, to other property, to suspicious persons scoping out or coming to your house, to fake delivery persons. A doorbell camera is also fantastic because it allows you to see usually via your cell phone, who is at your front door without you even having to approach or actually be at your house. You can "answer" your front door from work or on vacation, letting a person know, you don't need or want their services.

Careful who you help and beware of late night car accidents

It is a lot of our instincts to help those in need, and it sucks to even have to say this, but a lot of criminals use your instinct to help to lure you to a location, kidnap women and children, and to rob or rape you.

If someone is asking for change in a parking lot, they may be waiting for to you pull out your billfold so they can grab it and go. Someone asking to borrow your phone for an emergency may take it and run, a seemingly injured dog left somewhere, may pull you away from the crowd or a main area to some place where all sorts of harm can come to you. Someone running up to you specifically asking you to follow them because their "child" or "pet" is injured, may be another lure. Not saying you shouldn't help people, but just be very aware of these things and use your judgement. Offer immediately and do start dialing 9-1-1 if they claim it's an emergency or go find someone else to come with you to help you help them, if they are trying to get you to go somewhere with them that isn't very public.

If you are hit at night, especially if you are rear ended, stay in your car and call either 9-1-1 or the non-emergency number. If the other driver approaches you, let them know loud and clear police are on their way (even if they aren't) and remain in your car, with the window rolled up. If you can, put your emergency lights on and guide the other person to a well lit area with as many people around as possible.

Self Defense Techniques

Self Defense Weapons

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 25

I really wish I could say this is all unnecessary paranoia but sadly, this world has gone batshit insane and frankly, it's all good advice.

Step One: Buy a gun.

No step 2.

This all seems like paranoia. Get a CC permit and problem solved...

People have lost their damn minds these days, to the point where you have people dressing in clown costumes carrying around assault rifles and trying to lure kids into the woods

I would honestly have this apply to both genders, because it's getting to that point.

Still though. Ladies do need it more

Ladies will find this article helpful. But even guys can learn a lot from this.

more fear mongering bullshit paranoia

Let me ask you this: Do women get robbed? Do women get attacked and raped? Are there home break ins while women are in the house? Have there been arrests of fake police? Does crime... happen...

Ok, then.

Instructing someone on how they can try their best to prevent themselves first and foremost from putting themselves into harms way and or how to possibly defend themselves is for their knowledge banks. You prepare people for the worst, and you hope for the best. At least three of the things I've listed have happened to me and two to two female friends. You hope we live in a world where people are nice and kind and would never harm each other, but simply turn on the evening news. Better to at least have the knowledge, than not.

Just one point that friends have told me from experience... all guys will expect you to strike out at their groin, so target somewhere else first and only go there once it's been made fully vulnerable. Also, if you strike and land, STRIKE AGAIN. Don't stop because you successfully struck him once.

I could never hurt a girl, i'm too sweet and shy

Trying to fight a guy twice as strong as you is a big mistake. your best self defense move is pepper spray. it'll put anyone down for the count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auMsOCqE0QY

And when it's knocked out of their hands?

@ProbablyTooMature and when a girl tries to fight a guy twice as strong as her, weighing 100+ pounds more than her, and gets on top of her (mounted position)? yeah exactly.

This is why I own and carry guns. I hope I'll never need them, but I want to have them if I do.

The moves on the first vid is sort of useless.. Those strikes aren't going to do much unless you practice those strikes regularly... Which I doubt most will.

The same way us guys need to protect our resources from whores.

Good advice overall , ironically you are FAR more likely to experience violence from BOTH genders if you are male , groups of " men " often launch attacks on lone men for "fun " , plus a woman will far more readily strike a man , than another woman. Also mace / any incapacitant spray & even more so firearms are illegal in the UK , so not an option.

"Also remember, as friendly as a cabbie or driver may be, they are not your personal buddy for whom you should be sharing all your personal information with like where you work or personal details and information. "
    ih1.redbubble.net/.../flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Jeez, I should create a MyTake for men to protect themselves from paranoid women. This is really over the top!

I've heard enough horror stories before.

If I were a woman I would have a firearm on me at all times.

damn u
    i was going to rape/kill 5-20 women
    now all of them know how to defend themselves

Violence Everywhere...
    This site depresses me.

I think they should also get a Conceal and Carry License also and get training on how to properly handle a firearm such as semi-automatic pistols or revolvers. Depending upon where you live, some places in the world don't permit private ownership of firearms so this isn't a possible option everywhere. The more dangerous the place they live in, then the more likely it will be needed. But the key thing really is awareness.

Although things like Reality Based Self Defense systems would also help significantly if firearms aren't possible or available. That or some kind of Military training in melee or close quarters combat, using anything from kicks, choke holds, arm bars, or even blades or knives.

I will never get this logic, why not teach defense for everybody? Because only men can attack women right? what about the other way around? or men on men violence? because men are more suspect-able to die in the hands of another male, and 95% of murdered victims to cop are from males. where is all the self defense classes that teaches to also kick a women in the groin? I know, you dont really care about the well being of men. I mean, we are all rapists, right?

I don't think that's what the writer meant. The only person saying all men are rapists is you. men need to know how to protect themselves; I agree there. But men and women face different threats (generally speaking) so it is helpful to have a gender specific article. If you want to make a self defense article for males then cool! No one would bat an eye. Or if you want to make a broader, less specific article aimed at both males and females, then also cool.
      Also, the reason you don't hear men being instructed to hit a women in the crotch is because of... Um... anatomy.

In mytake I've talked in such generalized terms about criminals and people attacking in this case women. This isn't a men are all rapists piece or men don't experience violence. Simply because I'm talking to women... doesn't automatically equate to all those things, but YOU have made it out to be that way. "If you don't mention violence against men, clearly you think violence against men doesn't exist or they don't need help" Take some deep breaths. We know it happens. You know I talk about rainy days sometimes, do I not know it also snows in other places. Nothing I've said here is wrong. This issue is important to you, I get it, but use that frustration and write a take about it and express what you want in that take if you feel that it's something that needs to be said. You have the power to use your own voice to tell your own story as I have done here.

look my point here isn't about men vs women, because both problems are equally important, and to address only one side is just wrong on all levels. you are addressing your point to women when men are more likely to to be killed by one another, and over 40% of these domestic cases are from women. Its wrong to just describe men as an attacker. I will never understand this whole ''im going to speak for my gender'' or ''im going to speak for my race'' type of logic.

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 15

... no.

I refuse to be SO paranoid I can't leave my own house through my FRONT DOOR.

That's fuckign ridiculous.

The home bit is not about not being able to leave your own house through your front door.

The first line of that says: "Just as with your hotel, never ever open up your front door without first checking to make sure who it is." It doesn't say don't open it, don't go through it, don't leave... it says check who it is. If you feel comfortable with them or you know them, then by all means open up... but does it make sense to open up the door for someone you don't know, who is a complete stranger, that has appeared uninvited with no calls? That's just... pardon me... stupid, and putting yourself at risk.

As with the other young lady who mentioned paranoia, this is about having the knowledge as to what to do in such situations. You prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. As with her, I recommend you look up home break ins, fake cops, and fake delivery men and see and read the stories of women who thought they were safe in their own homes and trusted everyone coming to the door.

@Muhammad1999 Safe from what? The huge arse fine from possession of a firearm?

Guns aren't legal everywhere and I am never going anywhere near them if I can help it.

Well do this , you can't imagine how evil are some Men.

Most of that was paranoia, thanks though

How pray tell is this paranoia? Ever been on a plane and got the safety run down of what to do if it goes down. How often do planes go down? You prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. It only takes one time. One time happening to you or someone you love, so why not have this information and prepare. And yes, some of the stuff on this list has happened to me and my friends... so that's not paranoia in trying to use what happened to us to help other women and girls like you aim to prepare with the knowledge, and hope to never have to use it.

https://youtu.be/5BHyKalYCU0

What were you saying...

No one is bother to think that your keys can be your weapon too :D I don't think anyone wants a sharp eye in their arm either.

I never go out alone I always go out with someone who can protect me and is stronger.

This is probably why my friends were freaked out when I told them that I went to Myrtle Beach by myself

Luckily, I know how to protect myself ;)
    Awesome MyTake 👍

Great take. My Dad taught me to protect myself and sent me to a brazilian Jujitsu class where some teach useful tips for self defence such as ground fighting as most rapes take place on the ground so even if you can't beat your attacker physically you can still fustrate and tire him out while minimising any damage he may do to you.
    I see a lot of girls refuting your take as "paranoia" but bad shit only has to happen the once to you for you to change your mind.

There have been some crazy responses to this, that's for sure. It's like what is the harm in knowing some information that may safe you or someone else's life someday? I've gone so far as to point out actually cases to people who refuse to believe the world is like this. A vast majority of people are never going to be in car accidents, get shot, go down on a plane, or get the flu, yet we have teach safety things for those too and we have ways to prevent certain things ahead of them happening too. One time... is all it takes. I'm glad you are aware and your dad is aware and that's it. You hope nothing happens to you.

Thank you so much for sharing this. So much helpful advice. I've always wanted to take self-defense classes, I feel it is definitely a useful way to spend your money. I can only hope and pray that many women read this, but never have to use it.

You're welcome, and absolutely. It's good to have the knowledge, but in this case, even better not to ever have to use it.

Some of these guys really do not understand, probably because they can't empathize. I didn't think something like this would happen to me until it did. Now maybe you'd call me paranoid, but, really, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm sorry to hear that, I really am. I consider myself a powerful strong independent woman, but especially living in a huge city, I've learned that you have to swallow your pride/ego and ask the guard to walk you, or travel in groups. I had two unknown guys in college try and push their way into my dorm room late at night. I was so lucky to have gotten out of it unscathed because I reacted quickly. Some random guy just about 2 months ago was looking through my back windows which I saw on my security camera and had to call the police. Sh*t happens, and no you can't prevent it all, but you can have at least some info in your head in situations about what to do, and you hope that your preparation can help or save you, but I don't think it's wise to just ignore it, and pretend like this stuff doesn't happen to women. My dad is always telling me, I love you, and I know you can take care of yourself, but the realities are, there are people who want to hurt you if given the chance.

I think you've just done us great service by writing this take, so thank you. :)

You're very welcome. Honestly, it's the same exact premise as the airline attendants showing you what to do in case the plane goes down. The odds of it happening may be slim, but IT HAPPENS. In the case of being attacked, you can talk about all the statistics in the world, compare men to women violence, talk about not frightening women and what not, but what good does any of that do if you're in a situation like this? What is a statistic going to do to help you? Nothing! It only takes one time, that's it, and your whole life can change. You take preventative measures, you take precautions, you prepare yourself just in case. I'm hoping some young woman especially new to the big bad potential world out there will remember this and ask for an escort to the car, or check a peep hole or see if the cops really are who they say they are before opening a door. It could save her life. Thank you so much for your comments, and I'm glad things worked out okay for you.

Great my take!!! Yas women definitely need to know how to protect themselves. You have to know how to kung pow a person ya know.

I carry mace on my keys 😊

In all honesty, mace is one of the most overrated things there are.

It's better to have a sharp thing on your keys than a mace that you have to open, probably never used and have to aim specifically for the eyes without hitting yourself.
      A simple pen rammed into someones flesh (thigh for example) is way more efficient than mace can ever be.

Most countries don't allow you having a knife with you to begin with.

I can just tell you from a families friend of mine who worked in personal security with whom I talked a bit about and he said a pen or something similar shaped is the best "daily-life" weapon there is. With enough force doesn't matter if it's sharp or not.

Great! Stay safe!

Wow, great advice. Seriously needed. I don't go anywhere alone.

Many girls need to know this. Glad you shared it.

Nice advice for those ladies who need it.

I WANT THE KITTY <3

I've been carrying my own car keys in attack mode for years when forced to walk alone, but when I saw that, I was like yes, because it ensures if your fingers are in, you can't drop it or have it thrown out in a scuffle. I looked on Amazon, but I only saw the puppy version which is cool because I like dogs better than cats anyway.