How To Create Your Zombie Apocalypse Survival Team

In the event of zombie apocalypse, the rules of survival of the fittest will generally begin to supersede any laws and rules we have now in peace times. A normal society cannot function if there is a threat that exists that is greater than the threats it can normally and reasonably overcome. A zombie hoard is just such a threat. In small numbers, zombies can be neutralized, but there is a certain unhealthy amount of apathy that humans tend to have when it comes to the idea of the unbelievable, suddenly becoming believable. So by the time people figure it all out, start believing, start demanding governments and military do something about the problem, or take matters into their own hands...we all know, it will be much too late. Everything will become about your survival against an, if you're lucky, slow moving mass hoard of brains centric undead.

Avoid having these people on your survival team

1. "Vegan" zombie hunters: they refuse to kill anyone...or in this case, thing, because the zombies were once human and should be allowed to live in their new state even if we disagree with the way they are managing. NOPE! You're off the team.

2. The weak, feeble, sick, really young, and disabled: in a perfect world, you could bring everyone along, but when your survival is at stake, you just can't have someone who requires a constant supply of what will be hard to nearly impossible to find medication/equipment to even survive in normal conditions, or someone who can't run, or can't fight, or can't move fast enough to get out of the way or to help protect the team if you have one. Your best bet is to put them in as safe as a place as possible or create a commune which they can do their best to defend while you're out looking for supplies and such, but you can't be focused on worrying about them, or how much you need to sacrifice to bribe someone for their medications or how to move them all the time while also trying to watch everyone's back.

3. The emotionally unstable: your team needs to be able to compartmentalize. You can't break down crying because you had to shoot a friend turned zombie. You can't fall apart every time you witness some zombie induced horror that will occur. You have to be able to put it somewhere deep in the back of your mind until there is a time period where you are in a safe enough place to break down. Those who can't adapt to this function, are a major liability because if someone is crying, someone is dying.

4. The sadists: There are people who will take the zombie apocalypse as a time to just be able to unleash all their demons and kill at will wasting ammo, wasting time, becoming obsessed with "the game" as opposed to just trying to survive. They may unduly attract way too much attention becoming way too much of a liability.

5. The other team leader: you may run into a situation where someone wants to also be team leader. They confuse the team telling them to go left when everyone is going right, refuse to follow orders, refuse to do what they are told always citing that things would be better under their rule. You can't have two bosses in a group because its dangerous in a situation where you must move and act as a unit against a zombie hoard. Ditch them at the next rest stop for the safety of all.

Picking your team

There are generally three schools of thought when it comes to creating ones own survival team during a zombie apocalypse and that are that you can go at it lone ranger style, with a small group, or create your own commune of sorts.

Lone ranger

Pros

1. Think and act for yourself; not responsible for the well being or survival of others

2. Easier to find a single dwelling shelter and leave at will in a danger situation

3. Only need supplies for one, can be easily rationed, for one

4. You seem less of a threat to larger groups if you seek assistance/help/supplies

5. Less likely to attract attention with your movements if careful

Cons

1. Having to deal with psychological ramifications of constant being alone and not having anyone to talk to, and dealing with being hunted and hunting and having to kill

2. If you get sick or injured, you could easily die with no one there to care for you or fetch supplies

3. It's easy for a group of bandits or zombies to overcome you if they find you alone and/or unprotected

4. You can only rely on yourself for the most part, if you do not possess certain skills, it may be your downfall

5. No one watching your back, leaves you very vulnerable in open areas

Small Group

Pros

1. You have people to watch your back

2. You can utilize each individuals skill set to your advantage

3. Constant companionship, people to talk to and deal with trauma with

4. Easier to divide up and accomplish more difficult tasks like building shelter, scanning perimeters for danger, securing supplies

5. If captured by zombies, someone else there to put you out of your misery

Cons

1. Must ration and divy up supplies with group

2. A failed group dynamic can lead to in fighting, distractions, mutiny

3. Your group may easily attract bandits or zombies to your area

4. If you need help from others, may be more easily turned away due to group size/fear

5. Responsible for others

Large Groups

Pros

1. (the same as small group)

2. Can more easily set up base camp and work from there with enough people to secure it

Cons

1. Same as small group

For small and large groups, pick people you can get along with, that aren't extremely needy, and have a willingness to work with a team and accept help and training as needed. Even in the worst of situations, you need to inject a little humor and levity into your days because constantly being under threat and stressed can take a toll on everyone. When you do get the chance, leave someone on watch, and relax with the group, talk, share stories, decompress, cry, do what you need to to stay sane.

Everyone needs a kit

Everyone will need a supply bag with as much as can be easily carried if a team member has to run or pick up and run at a moments notice.

Invest in training

Once you've established your group, it is wise to invest in a constant training program. Team members must be able to do the majority of the tasks everyone else can do or at least have some general knowledge of those tasks in case someone goes rogue, or gets killed or injured. Deciding on a solid team leader is crucial for the group dynamic. Some system must be in place whereby everyone knows their specific tasks so that no one is trying to figure it out or stepping on someone elses toes. The leader must also know when a person should be made to step down for poor performance. You may want a full democracy, but do you really have time for a hand vote for every single decision when the hoard is at your front door? Your group also needs to decide what they personally want to happen to them if they are munched by zombies or injured, or otherwise killed, so there is no question in the moment if swift action must be taken. It is important that everyone knows how to fight hand to hand, as well as utilize the weapons on hand or know what can effectively be used against the zombies in a fight either at a distance or at close range.

BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 11

I live in Kansas one of the flattest places in the nation scientifically proven to be flatter then a pancake, few large cities and lots and lots of flatland and farmland wide open ground and forests and hills. And I live in a small town filled with people who own weapons not to mention a national guard base armed with plenty of weapons, Humvee's and even a few mobile missile vehicles.

Also @Jan1ssary_
    www.ashpintersections.org/.../fimg_sum10_f2.png

For the anti-zombie unit.

Why are people these days obsessed with zombies.

Why is anyone obsessed with anything... because it interests them!

I would just suicide. I am not a survivor.

Have you ever seen the movie Battle Royale? You should.

Well I would prefer anyone with basic survival training, hunting, fishing etc military and police type of guys. If your an old school practical kinds guy that would be attractive to any young ladies.

Lol, good take but it should be named" how to get yourself killed in zombie apocalypse".

Very good ideas, interesting Take :D

Or, just keep Chuck Norris alive. Apocalypses of any kind won't happen as long as he lives, because as the Bible predicts, he is the apocalypse.

We already have legions of smart phone zombies , that haven't a clue where they are friggin' going !!

I wouldn't survive a zombie apocalypse and I wouldn't survive in a survival team either.

Awesome take!

I remember Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide.

I think I'd go with the large group, at least at the beginning. Once I feel I have gained enough experience then it's we split up as a smaller group or I'd go off on my own.

I still prefer a Robot/A. I. Apocalypse / Uprising scenario more than a Zombie Apocalypse unless a real zombie apocalypse turns out to be very much like Shaun of The Dead.

What if both a Zombie apocalypse and and Robot Rebellion apocalypse happened at the same time?

If Zombies and Killer Robots fight and kill each other that would help the human survivors so much, and make things much easier :-D

Although I'm sure the Robots would eventually win because they can't be infected or hurt easily by zombies.

WORST NIGHTMARE and WORST CASE SCENARIO though is if both kinds of apocalypse happened at the same time and the Robots "learned" to take advantage of the zombies and aid the zombies in eliminating uninfected surviving humans, and then humans would totally be in deep shit. Unless we capture and reprogram as many robots to help us fight against zombies or something.

If the machines rise up, what chance does humanity have. If they gain control of whatever is their necessary power source, we have no chance. This computer is a machine, the alarm clock, the security system, many modern cars.. all of them have some sort of mechanical component and if hacked into, we'd be at their mercy. At least with zombies, if they have no one to feed on, they will eventually die off of starvation. I see ocean evacs as possibilies in aiding with that after a long slung fight and loss to gain control over the zombie hoards.

Other than capturing and reprogramming and hacking the machines and turn them against each other, probably not much more we can really do, if they ever took control and become too smart and turned against us somehow. Even the best human chess player going against a supercomputer A. I. could only reach a Stalemate conclusion.

Against Zombies, maybe living on Submarines would be the best way to try and outlast them as they rot. Just have to reach an uncompromised and uncontaminated isolated island or something.

I almost forgot about EMPs, Electro Magnetic Pulse. That's the only other viable weapon that we can use against rogue/evil intelligent A. I's.

I must print that off and put it in my wallet

What Girls Said 8

good one lol! i prefer large groups in a survival team cause i'd be more likely to stay alive if others gt attacked before me...

• 7d

Tbh I think if there were a zombie apocolypse I'd constantly be crying. But that's okay, because I know how to fight. My family would probably leave their kids under my care and I'd become one of those rogues that carry children around. Lol. Nice take!

• 7d

Good post%

Well, zombies are like my worst nightmare so I would be the shittiest one in the group. All I need is a boat to sail to an island that hopefully hasn't been infected. Sailing is the only thing Im good at lmfao.
    Zombies can't swim can they? I hope not. THEY BETTER NOT.

Truthfully im not sure how well id do in a zombie apocalypse as im a completely useless person at practical things but I am 18 and very sexy so I would attach myself to the strongest male I could and

... and repeatedly bang his brains out so as to become his woman and enjoy his protection and a portion of the fruits of his labor.

I disagree on the vegan one. I'm vegan, but I'm also a Native American who grew up hunting, fishing, trapping, skinning, gutting, preparing my own food, and practically lived in the wilderness my whole life. I may not take part in harming animals anymore, but I definitely remember how. Not to toot my own horn, but I'd be fucking awesome in a zombie apocalypse. Also, killing as an act of self-defence actually is vegan. :)

The Civil Defense of my country has a contingency plan in case of a chemico-biological event such as the mentioned here.

Are the words, "zombie apocalypse" actually mentioned? Because that would be way cool!

I don't remeber, but there are many different contigency plans.

Love things like this, zombie culture is so integrated into pop culture :)

It is one of those wonderful conversation fights my friends and I like to have when experiencing boredom.

haha, same. "where to go first" "who to take"

Ha, it's best to know these things before the situation arises, rather than try to figure it out as they are eating one of your friends brains, am I right, right? LOL