9 Things I've Learned in My 18 Years

So over the last 18 years of living, I've learned a couple of things that have made me into the person I am today. Now while not everyone of these things have made me happy to learn, they were important to learn. And I'm glad I did. So let's start.

ONE: Be the better person.

Walk away from fights or dramatic situations. Apologize and be respectful. Like they say, two wrongs don't make a right. So if someone is being a bully towards you, or someone is putting you down, and trying to make your life miserable, don't let them. Show them you're the bigger and better person and that they will not get to you. Because once you show them the satisfaction, and show them that they're hurting you, they won't stop. And they'll do anything in their power to see you unhappy to make themselves happier.

TWO: Stand up for what you believe in.

If someone is saying something you don't agree with, have your say. Letting people know how you feel isn't a bad thing. There is no harm in letting someone know that you support a different side of something. You deserve to have a say. Don't back down, stand strong and make a change.

THREE: If someone truly loves you, they'll make sure you know.

So let's say you're in a relationship, and things aren't going so well. You've just been fighting like crazy and you're giving up hope. The other person hasn't been putting in much effort, and for whatever reason that may be, they've just seemed to stop caring. If this person loves you, they will make sure you know it. You won't have to question their love, you won't have to cry everyday and night thinking about whether they truly love you or not, you'll know they do. No matter how complicated things get.

FOUR: Not everyone is going to like you, and that's okay.

Don't spend your life trying to please everyone because there is going to be some people that you just won't be able to please and then you'll feel like you failed. But sometimes people are filled with so much hatred, that no matter how good you do, they'll never see the good in you. And that's fine because there are so many people out there who will see the good in you and that's what truly matters.

FIVE: Forgive but never forget.

This one is pretty simple. Forgive others who have hurt you if they are strong enough to try to change and apologize. It takes a lot for most people to admit they're wrong and when they do, it's a big accomplishment. Forgiving doesn't mean forgetting however. You never truly forget the bad someone's did to you anyways, but forgiving that person lets some hate off of you to, and allows you to just be happy again.

SIX: Life is what you make it.

If you want to sit at home all day, play videos games or stay inside and not go out, not go to school, not go to college, not try to find a job, etc, that is all on you. Now of course there are some people who never go to college and still are successful in life, but if you choose to have a poor lifestyle and be a couch potato, expect for your life to be pretty sour and not so sweet.

Life is good to those who try and put at least some effort into making it worth while!

SEVEN: Accept yourself.

You are you and you are not changing. You're never going to change. There is no reason you should dwell on things and be upset about things that are out of your control. You will be so much happier if you just learn to love yourself. Like I said earlier, not everyone is going to like you and that's totally fine! But you, you need to like you.

EIGHT: Relationships should make you happy.

If you're in a relationship, whether it's a friendly relationship or a romantic relationship, you should be happy. If you are not happy, you need to either make some changes, communicate more, or get out of that relationship. If you are not happy with the way things are going, believe me it is better to be out of a bad relationship than in it. You are missing out on so many things in life just because you are sticking to that bad relationship. If you've tried communicating and nothing has changed, then that is the sign right there that you need out. Don't worry about never finding someone to make you happy again, good relationship comes with time and patience. You will be so happy you got out of that bad relationship when you find the right one! ☺️

NINE: Life is worth living.

Of course we all get sad from time to time, and we start thinking about if it's really worth it. But let me tell you it sure is! Everyone is special in their own way, and believe it or not, there are people who love you. You may fight with your significant other, your parents, your siblings, or even your friends but at the end of the day they are happy you are in their life! There are so many beautiful things life has to offer! And if you are ever feelings down, there are many many many ways that you can bring yourself back up again. It may not happen over night, but if you give life a chance, you'll see happiness again.

So stay positive, stay strong, stay happy and stay you, and I promise you'll be okay ❤️

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 10

It's funny, people trash Miley for being Miley, but, she said it best, life IS what YOU make it

It's hard to live yourself when society hasn't given you a career that you went to school for. What a waste, what a waste of everything

How do you love yourself when no one loves you to begin with 🤔

Thank you. x100

You seem wise! :)

It seems that you have really become very adaptable to face challenges in life. So people who interact with you will truly benefit from your experiences and wisdom. Good to know you. thanks.

Nice - Very mature take

So true, good job. You made think a lot about my self, and I felt better reading this. It's good to not focus on negativity so much.

Great take love ❤️😊

What Girls Said 3

• 7d

good take*

Aww nice take 😊

Absolutely correct with everything. Bravo! By your age God had to wake me up to this reality. I have a love for people, no matter how badly they treat me. However I will say that in order for us to be the best versions of ourselves, we do need to change. We don't have to change personalities, but we do need to grow and mature, and that requires change. If there is no change, we can't mature, we can't grow, and we become too much into ourselves, we can't see how our behavior effects other people.