Simple Steps for Protecting Your Computer and Your Privacy Online

Virtual Private Networks

I suggest you always use a virtual private network a.k.a. a VPN. VPNs hide your actual IP from the websites you visit, thus the website does not know who you are. Most VPNs encrypt your traffic between the VPN and your computer. This allows you to go unnoticed by your network administrators and a VPN also prevents a man-in-middle attack that can compromise your passwords.

Passwords

Always use different passwords for different sites. The issue is, if one site gets hacked your passwords could be compromised and some sites do not store their passwords correctly, thus making it very easy from the to see your actual password in plain text. This will allow the hacker to not just get into your account on that site, but will allow them to gain access to any account you use that uses the same password.

I recommend using a password vault to store your passwords in, this will allow you to remember all of them and the vault itself is encrypted so anyone who does not have the encryption key to your vault, cannot see your passwords.

Also make sure your passwords are strong, longer passwords are exponentially harder to crack than shorter passwords.

You should always make sure your connection is encrypted before you enter your login credentials. You can see if your connection is encrypted by looking for the padlock at the address bar.

Public WiFi

When using public WiFi, make sure you always use a VPN to encrypt your traffic. It is not wise to login into any account without using a VPN on public WiFi. Without a VPN a person can easily just snatch your password if the site you are using doesn't support encryption. Even if the site supports encryption, it is still not wise to use it without a VPN.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 7

Good tips

Nice.
    I learned what a VPN was a few days ago lol
    But yeah I'm good with the password thing and I don't really use public wifi.

No one Could be More on Top of this than My own Roomie. He has Updates Installed that Automatically take Care of a Lot of things, Plus Virus Protectors, for Free, that also are Used and Very Helpful.
    I rarely will have a Problem with my Laptop, unless Someone like Gag Here, dear, Installs their own Lingo of Leaving me in Limbo, and May Cause my computer to End up being Malicious. with Silly Putty Stuff Such as Non Stop Music and Videos which NO ONE on here Needs Nor Cares about.
    Good luck and Thanks for the Invite, and Very Educational, @Thisperson98 xx

lol!! Hopefully someone in ADMINISTRATION sees this. xx

• 2d

good-

OR you could just buy a MacBook Pro 😜😎👽👍🏻!! Haha 😁!!

A macbook won't stop someone with knowledge of computers.

If I told you, it is very easy for me to get someone's gag password if I can connect to the WiFi, would you believe me?

What relevance or difference does it make if anyone believes you or not? I don't see how that relates to anything.. but I dare you! 👻! Do it!!

I use the same password for EVERYTHING 🙉🙊

I hope you don't use an insecure site. *looks at gag*

Hahahaha lol looks like he gets LOTS of msgs
      But you did well👌👍

He said he is still looking into the first one that I sent in a couple of months ago.

COOL.

Thank you penetration tester!

What Guys Said 11

Off the grid, here I come. Well, no, I like indoor plumbing and the occasional video game. ;)

Thanks for the advice!

I'm good but thanks.

Lastpass is what i use as a password manager, much easier.

My most important password would take 38 billion years to crack.
    Www.howsecureismypassword.net
    I'm so paranoid that I put tape over my laptop camera.
    I started using a VPN when I started college, figured there would be plenty of computer geniuses there that could mess with me.

Nice, but unfortunately, some sites like the GaG have no encrypted log in (https) :(

I used to have different passwords for different sites when I was a kid, but not anymore. Chances of a site getting hacked and then stealing "my" password particularly is very less. And then one can't log in to my Gmail without my mobile.

I can guarantee you that I you are using at least one site that does not store passwords correctly or can be easily hacked.

But not everything has two step authentication, for example paypal.

Ahh yes!! But I'm not using such kind of services. I use my debit card directly for obvious reasons.

Don't forget to get a non-logging VPN service provder, a TOR browser and to use an overseas proxy server that isn't subjected to Interpol laws. lol

Nice article

lol where i live, public wifi is pretty rare and you always have to accept the terms of conditions of it which often times excludes you from using vpn services, cause they don´t want you to do nefarious stuff over their wifi, which in turn makes you vulnerable to them spying on you... i wouldn´t ever do anything that i need a private password for on a publik wifi. just use sites, where i don´t login.