The Beauty of Snow

I live in an area that has snow just about every year. Not too much, but usually enough to add to the beauty for many days. Of course, some years we have had none, and some years way too much. But usually there is just enough to make the scenery beautiful and peaceful. Unfortunately, it usually is not on Christmas Day, which would make Christmas seem that much more magical.

Having spent 20 years on active duty in the Navy, I have been in many places around Christmas time, some which did not get snow. Florida is one of those places. Florida has a lot of beauty, but I will take the northern snow over hurricanes anytime. Then there were the times when I was deployed and many of those places never saw snow.

I did get to climb the pyramids and even ride a camel. Visited the King Tut exhibit in its home in the National Museum of Egypt. But no snow!

One Christmas I lived in Maine. For them it was a mild winter that year, but I did get to see more snow than is usually here at my home. But I must say, in the New England states, they are much better prepared for real snow than most other places in the states. They are out with plows as soon as the first flakes fall.

Snow plays a very important part in winter sports. Huge numbers of people anxiously await the first significant snowfall near them. The Winter Olympics are watched by millions of people. Many people take advantage of some of the best skiing in America at Mt Hood, a short drive from my home. But being in the Navy I did not get to continue skiing, which I had done beginning in college.

One more beautiful effect of winter is the silver thaw. That is when a very beautiful but very dangerous coating of ice forms on pretty much everything, caused by freezing rain or by the melting and refreezing of ice and snow. The weight of the ice will often cause branches to snap, blocking roads and bringing down power lines. It often brings down whole trees.

Sometimes snow can be a pain in the rear. But overall, I love the beauty of it and feel an emptiness when our city is bare while so many other places have snow.

Of course, I have to admit that there are some out there who do not love snow so much.

So what are your experiences and thoughts about snow, since it is soon to be upon us?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 10

• 10h

ı love snow but it is too cold in winter so thats bad

• 23h

I love snow so much. I have snow everywhere where i live.

• 1d

ı love it

• 4d

It starts in September and doesn't completely go away till March... I do sometimes get sick of it. But I can't imagine living somewhere without it.🇨🇦

• 6d

I live by chicago, so yeah we get plenty of snow. Its beautiful except where car exhaust mixes in and takes the appeal of it away.

• 6d

The ice sucks though!

• 6d

I don't think I would want to live IN Chicago. I don't know how it is outside of Chicago. Definitely do not like the ice. It can be beautiful till accidents happen and trees are damaged.

• 6d

Oh ik, there's no way id live in chicago.

• 6d

The silver thaw has to be one if my favorite parts of winter. Now we get silver thaw without branches breaking for to it being cold enough here for decent snow fall. We get silver thaw as you describe which for us is an ice storm which can be incredibly dangerous. But beautiful at the Same time.

We also have frosty crystals that cover everything which is not dangerous. It's caused by significant drop in the temperature. Basically Frost.

• 7d

I live in minnesota and I love snow a lot when it isn't a slushy mess

• 7d

I love snow just as much as you do. I thought driving in it would be a pain, but not really.
    I love how beautiful it is and the snowmen you can build

• 7d

Well I love the snow (note that I hate the cold). And where I live we have the "greatest snow on Earth" and had one of the best winter Olympics in history.
    There are probably 6 ski resorts within an hour of my house and the mountains are breathtakingly beautiful covered with snow.
    We're still waiting for a big storm but it always comes before Christmas.

• 7d

I live in the Great Lakes, so we get more than our fair share of snow. We get snow every year. Some years more than others. This year is predicted to have higher than average snowfall. I think it is beautiful when it clings to the trees and when it is freshly fallen, but I do not care to go out in it. I have unstable knees and snow and ice are not my friend. However, if I can sit inside with a good book and a cup of hot tea, coffee or hot cocoa and watch the snow fall from under a blanket I am a happy camper.

What Guys Said 8

• 5d

I love snow. I ask myself why I think snow is so pretty. I mean, the trees have no leaves and everything is just covered in white snow; there's basically no variety unlike on Spring for example, but yet, it's beautiful.

I didn't grow up in a place where we had snow, so it was a big thing for me when I moved to Chicago. I wished it snowed more though. We do get a good amount, but not as much as I wish.

• 1d

nice

• 3d

I live in North Dakota. Pictured: My own front porch and lawn, in two days worth of snow. scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/.../...54799992_n.jpg

Today I had do shovel out snow snow that my mom's car (which is normally parked at around the center of the photograph) could be driven onto our driveway. If you leave your car parked on the edge of the street when the snowplows go by, they drive around it, which means that your car is now surrounded by a wall of snow anywhere from knee to waist high, which you will have to dig out yourself. I did so much shoveling that by the time we finished my right hand cramped so bad that it hurt to try to open it at all, and I actually had to have my brother take the shovel from me.

This is normal.

• 5d

Always loved snow. Always will. :)

• 5d

I loove snow!! But unfortunately probably no snow here this year :(

media.giphy.com/media/u7OpQv5xxx9C/giphy.gif

• 5d

Why would that be? Your temperatures are close to cold enough, and they will get colder for a while, yet.
      Nice video. lol

• 5d

Lol hopefully. Last few years there was barely any snow here, despite it being around this temperature I think.
      Once it didn't snow here the entire winter, but only in March. In spring.. lol

• 7d

Thank you for your service and a agree. I like "white fluffiness!"

• 7d

I love the snow. I whine about it but I know I'd miss it if I lived somewhere without it.
    Definitely get a bit more here, we've had snow for about a week now, and that is easily a month later than normal.

• 7d

We get very little snow but I can appreciate the pictures - The funny thing is how we adapt - As you say there are areas that have feet of snow and life goes on, here in Ireland 2 inches of snow and everything grinds to a halt

• 7d

Part of that is the equipment. When I lived in Maine, they expected snow so they had lots of snowplows and people trained to drive them. So they were taking care of it right away. Also, the citizens were used to driving on snow. Here the citizens have to educate themselves over each year and then do not get much practice. And for snowplows, they just but blades on the front of dump trucks. I imagine it is similar where you are.