Why Do Girls Love Shopping?

Okay, I'm a girl and I admit I can't stop shopping.

I shop until I drop, I am a certified shopper. Seriously, I'm actually a certified mystery shopper to earn the cash for my shopping habit. As a professional shopaholic, I will attempt to address the allure of shopping by answering the baffling question - why do girls need to shop?

The thrill of the hunt

Sure, guys gear up their guns for a weekend to shoot at Bambi or tie themselves up in their own fishing line in a frenzy to hit the water. It's all about the unspoken, universally understood thrill of the hunt. The thrill of the hunt also holds true for girls and shopping. Can you imagine my delight when I discovered that gorgeous signature Coach bag on clearance at a remote outlet! After all, I had to drive many winding miles from home, tailgating old ladies and honking at farm trucks, to score that Coach deal. The chase for that handbag was a real adrenaline rush, much like reeling in the big bass for a trophy.

Competition

Even though there is basic camaraderie among the guys, there is also a healthy spirit of competition in the air - everyone wants to get the biggest, best catch of the day. Competition also exists in shopping, which is a marathon mall event. Girls push, shove, step on each other and use creative tactics to grab that last pair of Baby Phat jeans on sale. A girl imagines the envy of her friends at the club that night when she brags about how much she didn't have to pay for those hot jeans! Frankly, scoring a bargain makes a girl's self-esteem soar like a guy with a deer head over the mantle and a tale to tell.

Gogus olculeri

Prestige

Every guy wants the biggest gun or the most alluring lure and compares what he has to the next guy. If his gun is too small (poor guy) or his rig too flimsy, he yearns for that premium Penn. When girls shop, they are highly motivated to locate brand names for less to upgrade their appearance and the quality of their wardrobe. After all, prestigious designer labels make the girl wearing them feel a whole lot better about how she looks. Just as guys surf sporting goods stores to find better gear for less, girls comb clearance racks in search of that designer label for seventy percent off.

The desire to provide

Guys claim to hunt and fish so that they can bring home their catch to the girls, or at least mine does. He gets all pumped up when he bring home freshly gutted fish for me to cook up. Well, I get all pumped up when I find those cool Rockport shoes he wanted for fifty percent off with a coupon I printed from the Internet. Hey, I just provided for him and he doesn't seem to get it! As guys are natural hunters, we are naturally maternal and yearn to use our highly refined shopping skills to find bargains for the people we love. It's not only about finding those incredible shoes for ourselves we put ourselves into the shoes of our loved ones so we can find them cool stuff, too. Shopping fulfills the motherly instinct in girls to provide for themselves and the people they love.

Trends and updates

The guys I know always discuss the latest, greatest gear to bring along to get Bambi's attention or hook a big bass. Frankly, fashion changes every minute and a girl has to keep up with it. It's almost criminal among girls to be outdated and subtle suggestions to contact the fashion police will be made. Shopping is a necessary way to follow trends and stay up to date.

A pleasurable hobby

It's fun, they know how to do it and it becomes a pleasurable hobby. The more girls shop, the better they get at it and the more fun it is. We know where the bargains are, how to find them and when to look so it becomes a great way to spend some enjoyable time.

Why do girls shop? It is so much more than procuring necessary goods for sale for us - it's the thrill of the chase, the triumph of the score and the pleasure of enjoying the catch! So the next time your girl asks you to accompany her on that mall marathon, you can show off your understanding, along with those pumped up muscles, by toting her cargo trust me, the rewards will be great!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 13

• So many stereotypes, damn!

Well, those who enjoy searching and trying stuff on might enjoy it, I personally dislike when I walk into a store and cannot find anything that I'd actually wear. I know not only one girl who thinks the same way, too. The search is either thrilling or just plain annoying - and I personally feel it is the second.

• Women love shopping almost as much as they love eating.
    Find a woman who's been shopping and stopped to eat, and there's very little chance of rejection (because she's so happy)

• I love getting stuff. Unfortunately I am not rich so I can't enjoy this as much as I would like to. Otherwise I would love going shopping all the time probably.

• My legs get sore after standing for three hours while the gf shops and tries on everything. I can't stand being in a store for ten + minutes. I get in and get out. I have an objective when I walk in.

• I'm actually really really impulsive in shops, I love just going around and thinking "ooh I could buy this" then trying it on, feeling interesting and different, and saying "f*** it" and purchasing said items. This is why I am broke.

• As a guy I love to shop too.

• Haha buy me somthin!!

• Well I'm not the usual guy. I love to take my gals shopping. As a matter of fact I get a kick out of them coming out of a dressing room and telling them how they look or what would look even better. Now don't get the wrong idea; I'm the most UN-gay man you ever met, to tell the truth I know very little about ball games because I've spent so much time hangin with the ladies or hauling them around in my hand built classic pick-up truck to my favorite fishing hole or hunting or camping spot.

• I'm one of those guys who loves to shop. I agree with everything you say here.

• I love shopping because I have money to spend. I actually like a lot of feminine stuff to be honest.

• Not all girls love shopping... that's just generalisation

• I don't like shopping. Period. Even after reading this article I'll probably still wonder why people would like to do something that I believe should be done out of neccesity only, but at least I can say I tried...right?

• Well... kinda like the same reasons why guys like action flix, sports and porn... it's in our genes

What Girls Said 18

• i hate shopping (window shopping for the most part) if i'm gonna buy clothes i'll make space first instead of hoarding (one wardrobe is enough), and i only get want i want instead of wasting time, the only kind of shopping i'm actually enthusiastic about is bookstore - art mats shopping and i'll spend like an hour on all that max, the rest of the day will be in a coffeeshop.

• I hate shopping. Or if I do shop, I know what I want. I don't browse around. I get what I need and leave.

• It's therapeutic also!

• Now, I would pay a girl like you to do all my shopping for me :D Seriously. My bestie is just like that. I wouldn't pay her though 'cuz she already offers to pick up my shopping slack... for new apparels. If she could do my grocery shopping too, I swear I'd marry her. XD It's people like us that fashion stylists have a career, so... your welcome.

• I hate having to go shopping. I am very claustrophobic and malls and stores are always full and I just start getting very annoyed with all the people. I just end up leaving! I can't stand it for more than an hour!

• I like shopping... For books, does that count? Regular shopping I get bored after a while.

• I hate shopping.. except for groceries.

• We shop because we are trying to fill a deap void within out souls: we are not happy with who we are so we try to paint a picture that is acceptable to soceity with the "right" clothing and shoes and other crap. We shop because we are hollow and need something to fill us, maybe the same thing goes for sex. Sure it seems innocent, that's because we don't question ourselves, we simply take the implied " I am a woman, I shop" and run with it. It is a lot harder to look at yourself than it is to shop

• Wow you sure had a lot to say here!! but its true!

• i dont love shopping lol i tolerate it though

• Lol, here I expected to be surrounded by female shopaholics, instead I find fellow girls who shop for books and groceries too? Let's add art supplies to that list!

Who else came here to try and understand their shopaholic friend?

• When it comes to shopping for clothes and makeup, it's awesome because we get to buy whatever we like and know that it will look good on us.

• Honestly I like shopping, not love, but only for a few minutes because then I get really annoyed about trying on clothing and I don't really like my body. I usually just like shopping for athletic clothing.

• Also, I don't like wearing expensive name brand clothes with the brand written all over them. I don't like buying them, because they're expensive, but I don't like wearing them either, even if I got them for free. I don't want people to think I paid a bunch a money for them. It makes me feel fake. Also it makes me feel like I'm wearing it just to keep up with the popular crowd.

• I only go shopping if there's something specific I'm looking for. Like, if the dog chews a hole in my purse and I need a new one. Or if I need more jean shorts because I only have one pair and don't like wearing the same pair everyday.

Thus, I shop quickly. I don't even bother looking at the expensive things. I have a general limit for what a particular type of clothing should cost; if it's much more than that I leave it on the shelf and move on. So people don't mind shopping with me. I'm fast.

• I hate shopping.

• I absolutely HATE shopping. If I could just order exactly what I want and have it fit perfectly, I would. It totally stresses me out.

• Interesting...I'm not quiet that excited about shopping but I still love it. How did you become a mystery shopper?