What do you think of my take on modern 'feminists'?

I have always understood feminism to be women's rights activists, but some people want to change that into being 'equality'.

For feminism to be for equality you would need to look at some of the things that also work against men. But feminism is female centered. It is only focused on women in society. Therefore, it cannot be for equality.

MRA is also not for equality but a movement for men's rights.

This doesn't mean that they are against each other since neither of the two wants either side to have less rights.

But I have been seeing recently in the media that a lot of celebrity females are saying that if you are not a feminist you are part of the problem because feminism just wants 'equality'.

I think this is very destructive for any type of discussion because you take the notion that women are oppressed in society to be a fact, even though we technically can't prove it.

Below is a video I think people should watch because she brings up some good points. I just want to see a nice civil discussion :)

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 3

• Good old JonTron

• Feminism seems like a recognition of a male dominated society in every since. Because it's a realtively new concept, it may be full of raw emotion at first. Like when soemone realizes their anger. It may seem irrational but it has a truthful basis. I am becoming more of a feminist because I realized that my entire life I've been taught to be a : virgin, work toward finding a husband, be sexy while being a virgin, give my virginity because a guy deserves my body, but he doesn't have to do a single thing to get it but, be charming and nice. If i worry about if i marry him and my kids future, askk for his source of income, the male society has coined the term gold digger. I watched a video recently a Ted x talk, where a man explained that women have to equate there worth to how sexy they are and if they are not sexy at first they are not worthy of love. When we girls as kids just want to love and have children a majority of the time. on a opposit eend of the spectrum she can just want to work as well.
    I am a feminist for this reason, the way we treat women in the world as a whole, is sad. Women often self destruct because of it ( anorexia, sexual apathy, anger etc).

• Also, think of Kim Kardashian. Her ex shared a sex tape without her permission, she did this because she loved the guy at the time, and he is just as naked as she is. But every one says she's a whore and famouse from a sex tape.

Many women try to impress guys by sending nudes, they say oh i need somethinfg or i can't be with you, girls here this all the time. And in need of love and wanting it so desperately they stoop to these things and get backlash and hate and shame because that person betrays them. This is a example of a common misogynistic occurance. The man is more shameful for hurting the girl, but men will gang up on her and tell her she's lost all her worth while the man laughs about it?

that is a problem.

• Yes it's a huge problem... I just wish that maybe if veggies were less expensive and we had better food and not over processed snack garbage.

• A lot of the problems you are talking about are just hypothetical problems and not necessarily real problems. I know a girl who had nudes leaked and so on but we dont actually care at all. We treat her the same way as we always have.

• Women are often restricted from higher pay and moving up the corporate ladder because they are expected to have babies and take time off from work to raise their kids (whether they actually have babies or not). This is called the "Glass Ceiling." However, men who work in predominantly female occupations, such as nursing, secretarial, or clerical work, often experience a "Glass Escalator" in which they are promoted to higher administrative positions much faster than women.
    As far as media, I've heard famous female actresses say that the funniest lines in movies are written for male roles. IMHO, that's not really as big a problem as the glass ceiling or the objectification of women in the media.

Feminism really is simple, but sometimes it gets convoluted and petty. Its basis is equal opportunity and rights for women and men.
    IMHO

• The reason for that is because there are more men in those fields. There is just a bigger mathematical chance for a man to occupy those areas because there are more men.

• Then explain the glass escalator. With all due respect (since this is your take), please re-read my comment. From what you wrote in your reply, it doesn't seem like you understood what I wrote in my opinion.

What Guys Said 7

• People are just so lost in their delusions about gender that they don't realize the objectification and stereotyping that goes both ways.

• Nice thoughts. I know that personally I've always found mainstream feminism to be an appalling example of slacktivism. Now, there are legitimate feminists who honestly care about women's rights, but they are more concerned about Africa and the Middle East than they are about the US pop culture scene. Anita Sarkeesian tries to pretend like she's the next Rosa Parks, but she's not convinced enough of her own convictions to even bother taking risks. Rosa Parks was fully aware that she was going to be arrested and likely beaten, and she stood up for her rights and dignity. Anita Sarkeesian get's scared of Pseudo-threats from trolls.

• women are different than men but should have the same rights

• " since neither of the two wants either side to have less rights."

I disagree with that. I think it's patently obvious that the feminist movement wants men to have less rights than they do today.

• But for feminism, we'd still be living in the Dark Ages. Is feminism is not for equality, then I don't know what is.

• Well i understand you point but in reality feminism has not had any huge victory where something was changed in concrete manners. Most changes came by themselves and not by a feminist uproar. Regardless feminism is not for equality because it is impossible to establish parity between two parties when your only focus is on one of said parties. It would be like saying there is inequality between dogs and cats and then only focusing on making life better for dogs. That would not be a push towards equality. People often forget that men also have problems in society.

• I don't consider myself a western feminist because I feel like most of the battle has already been won for them here. I don't really know of any rights from the government that I have which they do not have. Especially here in Canada (which i consider to be feminist central) there is very little discrimination against women for anything really.

• Civil discussions with hardcore feminists are not really possible. Hardcore feminism is an irrational emotions and you can't argues against emotions, fact clearly have no barring for hardcore feminists.

Modern feminism is a political ideology combined with interest organisations, like labour unions representing a certain group.