How our selective biased media made 12 people unforgettable but 2000 people forgettable

First of all let me condemn the horrifying cowardly attacks that took place in both France and Nigeria.

Now i am sure..you all have been watching live coverage for days about france attacks and how those cowards killed 12 -16 people and also you witnessed all kinds of criticism 24*7 by media all over the world and what not.

How our selective biased media made 12 people unforgettable but 2000 people forgettable.

Hmm..wow i appreciate how media and people united over this issue not only in France but all over Europe , Asia and US too including the celebrities. That's nice and we should obviously unite yeah.

But look at the irony of human civilization and their double standards. Over 2000 people were killed in a horrifying painful deadly massacre by boko haram militants in nigeria and you see next day on news papers only as a headline somewhere printed on corners and few minutes breaking news in electronic media? This is what you have got to say?

Where was the same media when these 2000 people died? YES 2000 PEOPLE NOT 20 or 200 but 2000 at ONCE. Where were those people who are holding " je suis Charlie" flags in their hands? Where are those celebrities, politicians and crowds who were holding rally for these 12 people?

I love it how selective media can be at times. I know it's not easy working for a media and i agree that you are hardworking people who travel across world and you do have impact on our society.

It is due to your impact that people like me have higher expectations from you.

May be.. people and especially media were outraged and angry only because they were HIGH PROFILE people getting killed and those 2000 were JUST another poor dead people.

My point of view is that both the cases should have been given equal importance and strong criticism and not being partial towards particular situation. Yes you talked but it was nothing compared to the dedication of paris issue.

I appreciate that some journalist bothered and took note of this issue but overall i am not happy at all.

Click here to read

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 15

• Yes it is terrible, and those people shouldn't go over looked and the media should not sensationalize death.

• Short explanation? We live in a sad and egocentric world.

• Just goes to show how much America cares about black people (: #blacklivesmatter

• Just think of this, The German government gave 25 million dollars in reparations for the holocaust. The American government for slavery... put the black people in there own 'ghettos' and exiled them from societies, education, and jobs as much as possible, after they used slavery to jump start the economy (Fun fact: 1865 America was the World'd leading producer in cotton) although all the other cultures died from the conditions bought by slavery, Americans claim that black people the very people who provided the labor that funded many old big companies that contribute to the capatilast economy we all enjoy today, (are taking welfare, lazy, ignorant etc.) and that;s enough... but they put them in impoverished neighborhoods and did not hire SOME them and pay them fairly until the 1960s? People see what they want to see.

The worlds most influential ( the private tv network owners and donors for example) will allow the public to see what benefits whomever is in power and what they deem important...

And those people are not always morale. But good for you for sharing this. It's small things like this that help people learn

• The French police who suicided, didn't kill himself; he was assassinated because he knew something the government doesn't want people to know.
    Those 12 are scapegoats, and a way to control the masses and get their support to invade a country whose people think different, so they can remove their government and put a puppet one.

• Yeah I know right! Hundreds of people die in Syria and Palestine and Iraq everyday but no one cares. And then 9/11 happens and everyone grieves. And then this happens and everyone grieves. Like wtf
    The people dying in other parts of the world are people too

• I agree with you and I think it's also because of financial and political interests.
    I live in France and all they are talking about is Charlie hebdo (especially of jewish people..). And yeah there is Nigeria, but also Congo, the country is in civil war and I never heard the media talk about it... maybe because mobile phones companies (Samung, Sony, Apple, etc) are using coltan for the production, it's in their interest that the situation remain unstable. More than 6 millions of people died, China keep trading weapons in exchange of coltan and no one cares so I guess our consumer society is more important...

• Mainstream media is a joke. They're the real enemies if you ask me.

• Ah... i don't know really..

• They stir things up a lot. They juiced up the riots and showed footages about it to give people ideas. It's a tactic.

• I can't understand how some people can be so openly biased when it comes to these sorts of things. 12 people die in France and the world grieves, 200 die in Nigeria, 4800 die in Ukraine etc and no one bats an eyelid. Sometimes the human race disgusts me.

• *doesn't care to read article, comments only based on title*

i think its just because we dont give a fuck.
    have you ever went up to a feminist and talked about MAN problems? nah bruh.

• This is like when the attacks on Gaza started - I looked on cnn and the biggest headline - half a page - was about LeBron James making a comeback. I was honestly enraged.

• Whoever downvoted me... really?

• I know about Boko Haram; I keep hearing people complaining that no one knows but actually, I think everyone knows?

To my knowledge this issue in Nigeria is an ongoing issue. Things like that usually don't get as much news coverage. They're "old news. "

But everyday bad things happen. Do you think you're aware of all of them? You're mistaken if you think you are. I'm 100% positive natural disasters, other terrorist attacks, etc etc are happening across the globe and you will only ever know what's presented to you in the news.

• The actual Holocaust happening in Nigeria right now was not a constant thing and just because it was happening everyday doesn't mean it shouldn't be covered on the news. Stories about one single person dying is on the news all the time yet when 2000 people are murdered no one cares? The point is that maybe the media should'nt be shoving these news stories about 1 or 2 or 12 people dying and instead should be updating all of us about the deaths of thousands of people no matter what city country or continent it's in.

• @lightscout13 if every death was talked about on the news the programs would last 7 hours.

I agree that the lives of those in Boko Haram matter just as much but I can understand why it isn't receiving as much news coverage.

• First of all the only reason people take notice of the paris incident is because as what media likes to spread "Muslims are terrorists" and of course they did the bad deed. To start with NO TERRORISM HAS A RELIGION THOSE WHO KILL ARE NOT MUSLIMS NOR ANY KIND OF RELIGION. Unfortunately, the media took great notice of this in order to even spread more to "muslims are terrorists" and that is why people cared for it more that the Nigeria incident, shame on humanity and every living soul.

• It was Muslim terrorist that massacred non muslims my dear. Boko haram is extremist outfit just like ISIS

• oh yeah you want to tell me that non muslims are clean and they never touched a Muslim? THEY KILLED THOUSANDS OF US!

• Thanks for sharing :)

• It's sad but "down there" people are more likely to die - especially of such things. When those in France got killed, it was because of using their freedom of speech. Not being being able to have freedom whitout being killed, is not something the world takes lightly up here. There where 3 million people from France protesting against this, but those from Nigeria have not done so, have they?

Im sorry to say but we just value our lives more than theirs. Im not sure why those poor nigerians got killed, but Im sure it weren't because of freedom of speech, which is something VERY important, that we can not let anyone take away from us.

What Guys Said 19

• Good take :-)

• France is a country that matters though. Who gives a shit about Nigeria, except for awareness of email scams?

• I know it's ironic soemtimes. But media is nothing more then business. And the fact is that a terrorist attack in the west, in the capital of france, sells more papers here in the west then 2000 people who died in nigeria. And well those politicians and celebs just do it to get publicity so they choose the thing which gets most coverage. to please the people

So it in the end it comes all down to the fact that the people are more in shock because of something that happends closeby that can happe to them. And the media just jump into it to please the people.

How many people die everyday in africa cause of rebel attack, aids, hunger? the numbers are insane. But it just doesn't sell so good
    Or even here in the west there is biased media. A famous person dies? he gets the forntpage, a regular person dies he goes with the others in the back...
    It's not personal they simply pick the stories that sells the most

• We show preferential empathy for those who are geographically and genetically similar to us, as well as for those whom we are conditioned to empathise with

• I'm not saying it's good, but first world people are more aware and sympathetic to the problems of other first world people than they are to the citizens of developing countries. 'Terrorists in France' could easily become 'Terrorists in the US, UK etc' making it an immediate concern. 'Terrorists in Nigeria' can't potentially affect our lives at all.

• Agreed, 12 people killed BIG DEAL. what about the 2 billion that died in Pakistan, what about those dying in Nigeria right now. The media is not true. You must research for your SELF PEOPLE. If you want the truth. If you want the truth about everything you must research. Just because the media says so dont mean shit. The media exposes things that it FEELS. They dont give a shit. Media is not truthful. 12 people my ass.

• They only publcisize European countries, 95% of the things that happen in Asian countries they would never publicize.

• People are nice there but media is what jeopardising the things at times. Every act of terrorism nis condemnable but it should not be selective. I blame all media this time actually.

• Hypocrisy.

• Or the journalists killed in Palestine maybe a year or two ago or the Israel bombings on Palestine last year or the terrorism in both Egypt and Syria happening right now? I don't feel bad that not all media covers these events but that people are ignorant to an extent that they shut their eyes and ears the moment something like these events passes by them.

• Syria is a shithole man. But my point of view is that if one calls themselves as global media then it must give equal weightage to all events like these at least.

• Interesting take. Glad I don't watch the mainstream media anymore.

• Boko Haram has been getting coverage in the media for years, the issues in Nigeria are well known. Terrorist attacks in Paris are not common. The fact that media was focused on a targeted attack against one of their own should come as no surprise. An attack against speech carries a message that indiscriminate massacre does not.

• News and media capitalizes on what they feel will make money and draw attention. I don't have anything to say other than that.

Terrible enough, I haven't even heard of this massacre in Nigeria until now

• @Dєѕιвσу I have never forgotten & will never forget either one of these tragedies. This is just your opinion, the MSM doesn't give a fuck about either of these tragedies. They only wish too capitalize on them for as long as they can in order to gain $$$$ from the ignorant masses for as long as they can.

Also this.. ''Hmm.. wow i appreciate how the media and people united over this issue not only in France but all over Europe , Asia and US too including the celebrities. That's nice and we should obviously unite yeah.

But look at the irony of human civilization and their double standards. Over 2000 people were killed in a horrifying painful deadly massacre by boko haram militants in nigeria and you see next day on news papers only as a headline somewhere printed on corners and few minutes breaking news in electronic media? This is what you have got to say?''... is just sad...

You criticizing these double standards is a useless effort on your part considering that THESE PEOPLE WHO'RE OUT THERE UNIFIED OVER THIS TRAGEDY are infact just ignorant ideologues/sheeple doing something that is socially trending nothing more nothing less. What you're doing right now is the equivalent of me complaining that a bear chose to eat a slab of raw meat that I left out there for the bear to eat in the first place. These sheeple CAN NOT think for themselves they are just ignorant ideologues with a herd mentality.

• You're comparing first world and third world.

A) Big fog always get the bone.
    B) France has more means to spread news and awareness.
    C) This happened in Paris, whice is the tourist capital of Europe . More people live there than where it happened in Nigeria

D) Boko Haram is already known for such drastic violence, so people aren't as suprised that it occurs in Nigeria, again.

E) Some of the media responsibility falls on the Nigerian government which did a subpar job at spreading the news and a subpar job at protecting its poor from the wrath of Boko Haram.

Because this already happened in Nigeria and the past awareness with the kidnapping of those girls, it did not get the same kind of media coverage.

This however the first time something so drastic happened in Paris, hence the mass coverage.

And also, what happened in Paris deals with extremists' low tolerance for criticism whereas what happened in Nigeria was just Boko Haram being Boko Haram.

• The death of 2000 do not impact people's interest and compared to the 12 deaths left people fearing for there homes. Someone got killed in another country wouldn't have much as an impact on you then say your neighbor getting murder

• That doesn't justify it shouldn't get coverage.

• Then that's horrible. Then why some media claim themselves as global media? Change it to European news agency.

• The Paris incident hit people in a place they didn't think it would hit, and naturally, people care more about those close to them. You obviously care more about your family's welfare than some guys in North Dakota. When an attack hits close to home, a familial instinct tells people to stop the threat.

Of course, that doesn't mean deaths anywhere should be trivialized. But it's understandable why, in their busy days, people anywhere wouldn't perk up at every single news item, even a massacre. It's hard for people to focus on the reality that humans are murdered all the time. A lot of people got acute stress disorder just after hearing about the 9/11 attacks, even when they weren't involved.

To be fair, there was pretty substantial media outrage over the mass kidnapping of schoolgirls by Boko Haram. As well there should have been.

• I am not in any way excusing the lack of coverage - what happened is horrific and deserves more attention - but it's worth noting that there are no journalists within hundreds of kilometers of where the attack took place. Boko Haram has made a point of targeting journalists. It isn't necessarily that people don't care; the information may simply not be getting out in the first place.

• Bro.. if the 2000 people had been dead somewhere in Europe .. you people would have dropped nuke in middleast by now.

• Mmmm, it's illegal to use nuclear bombs, but okay whatever. And you didn't even talk about what he said! "but it's worth noting that there are no journalists within hundreds of kilometers of where the attack took place" And people HAVE been talking about, so be quiet because you have NO idea what you are talking about.

• Why do you think it took so long for the true horror of what's happening to the Yezidis in Iraq to come out? Thousands of women and girls kidnapped into sexual slavery by ISIS, a comparable number of men murdered, thousands of refugees under seige on a mountaintop, now relocated and lucky to have a cooking pot to their name in the middle of winter. Never mind that the KDP Peshmerga in Sinjar told the Yezidis to stand their ground and be ready to fight ISIS, then retreated without warning them.

The only reason the US government even learned about their situation to begin with and acted to intervene is because the Yezidis in Iraq called Yezidi relatives living in the United States and told them as the attack was taking place. Those people then drove out to Washington DC and spoke directly to the President's advisors about the situation. They tried appealing first to representatives in the state they live in (my state) to no avail.

• As a Middle Eastern I fond words like "Human Rights" or "United Nations" completely nonsense, why they don't use the right form of those "White Human Rights" or "United White Nations" ?

• Lol bro.. what a striking point. But united nation comprises of more than 190 nations and hence they can't change it :)

• Well the main reason they are barely mentioned is because they are black. Blacks don't matter to the upper establishment, news and to western society. Hell Kim Kartrashians ass gets more coverage than 200 dead black poor people that no one gave a shit about before or after. Sometimes I go out into my mother's garden and bury myself in dirt and pretend I'm a carrot.

• You are right of course.

We care more for those close to us, friends, allies, countrymen etc..