The Top 5 Castles/Forts in Europe

These are, in my opinion, the most stunning castles ever constructed in Europe. I've been fascinated by them and their history.

Enjoy!

#5 - Neuschwanstein Castle : Schloss Neuschwanstein

Neuschwanstein Castle in winter

This place is found on a rugged hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near F├╝ssen in southwest Bavaria, Germany. I bet it gets eerie at night!

#4 - Le Mont Saint-Michel

Le Mont Saint-Michel

I've actually been to this place last Summer, and it's just as magical as it looks on this picture. Word of warning though, do not get caugh up in the tide! It's located by Brittany (Bretagne), due north of Rennes in South-West France.

#3 - The Tower of London

The Tower of London

Possibly a bit of a biased decision, but the Tower of London makes it into my top 3. The red you see in the ditch/trench around the castle are actually hundreds and thousands of ceramic poppies, each symbolising a fallen WW1 soldier. As a born and bred Londoner, I'm very proud of my British heritage.

#2 - Castel dos Mouros

Castel dos Mouros

Unfortunately I couldn't get a good aerial picture of this beast of a castle, but this should do. This place just exemplifies what castles should be: IMPENETRABLE. This place has a fantastic view of the sea as well as a stunning view of the Portuguese Algarve. Located only a few miles from Lisboa, you should take your chances!

#1 - Alnwick Castle

Alnwick Castle

You may have already guess where this was going, but yes, my #1 castle is Alwick Castle (a.k.a that muverfookin' Hogwarts place). This is where J.K.Rowling imagined the famous school of witchcraft and wizardry so many of us would love! It's found in the North of England between Edingurgh and Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Well there you go folks, I hope you enjoyed and cultured yourself with what truly marks us Europeans. If you've got any castles of your own you want to share, please feel free to post some pictures!!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Girls Said 9

What Guys Said 9

• Time to book tickets for Germany & France :)

• I think you forgot about the Alcazar de Segovia, it inspired the castle in the Cinderella movie.

d11167mnqqnee4.cloudfront.net/.../...47qm5mh2.jpeg

• 1|0
  • wow this was cool. #4 looks sick

• Karlstein - Central Bohemia (Czech Republic)
    www.czechtourism.com/.../...tejn-castle-1.jpg.aspx
    That's just one among many here.

• I wanted to post a picture of the walls of the city I live in but there is no picture that completely contains them.

• I love #5. As a vampire I must find me a castle like that to live in :P

• They don't build them like they used to

• The only castle I've ever been to is here in the states. In fact, it's here in my state, Ohio, in a city called Wiloughby Hills, called Squire's Castle. It's so broken down now that it's 2nd floor is now completely gone. The coolest thing about the castle is that the guy who lived there, his wife, is rumored to haunt the place. The tale is that she died of a broken neck in the place but the reality is that she died much later, after the castle had been purchased. Still kind of creepy to think about, especially since I've been inside the place. The library in that city often holds history seminars about the castle, held inside