50 Shades vs. Batman: Why being a billionaire doesn't always work

So some of you may have seen this picture floating around Facebook.

True enough. 50 Shades is pure rubbish. Ah, some say, but what about Batman? Women rarely fetishize Batman, and he's a billionaire!

Here's why that in no way negates the Facebook post's argument:

1. 50 Shades explicitly combines money and BDSM sex

It's the entire point of the thing to combine riches and perversion into one novel/film. Batman stories have human interest themes that go far beyond mere sex, but are told in the form of a superhero comic in which every character is a personification of some concept or value, done up in the style of a Greek tragedy but made so lesser minds can still comprehend its ideas.

While Bat-fics do occassionally feature weird sexual themes, those themes are not the entire point of Bat-fics in general. Therefore, the association of themes is not as forced nor automatic.

2. Grey panders to Ana's weakness and inadequacy to get what he wants.

As much as that involves strangling her with ties and tying her with ropes and handcuffs, there are no mutated crocodile-men and riddle-cracking supercriminals running about to confuse the female viewer who's just in it for the p*rn . 1990s Catwoman in black leather only appealed to a handful of men and lesbians.

3. In 50 Shades, the billionaire is the sadist.

Shallow women have the promise of money in exchange for degradation.

In Batman-related works, the sadist is a clown - that the billionaire repeatedly tosses in jail, and is appealing only to an already-unbalanced blonde flunk-out at psychology.

That Anastasia Steele is now enjoying more popularity than Harley Quinn is a disgrace! At least Quinn is somewhat competent at what she does, even if what she does is cartoonishly evil.

As for Batman himself? That he gets so many girlfriends in the first place makes you question the writers' views on women. Is it really just about the money? Yeah, readers know what he does that Gotham residents can't ever seem to put two and two together on, but what else about him makes him the slightest bit interesting to women? Only women may be able to answer that.

Perhaps the only woman that sees anything in him besides money is Talia al Ghul. Or maybe Andrea Beaumont. And we all know how those two turned out. And Vicki Vale was almost totally forgotten until Tim Burton brought her back.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 16

• On the next episode of GAG Takes: Clockwork Orange vs. Twilight - why being a sociopath doesn't always work.

• Uhmm just FYI, 1. poor people couldnt afford most of the equipment for BDSM... let alone a freaking PLAYROOM!

So, stop hating dude & by the way I am so into BDSM I am so pleased to be a part of such an exclusive open minded club that is.

To each its own... Bye xo

• I have to call BS on that. Most "poor" can still afford a headscarf that can double for a strangling kit. Ropes don't have to be fancy, and you can probably get cheap ones at Home Depot. Toy handcuffs are only $5, and are merely an easy-pick latch away from being indistinguishable from real handcuffs.

Improvised whips shouldn't be hard to invent either. Psychopaths galore improvise this stuff on the fly from whatever's lying around, and some of them are a lot more creative with it than I dare to be.

Now, maybe you'd have to be a rich guy to afford the specialty shop catalog crap and the leather catsuits / gimp outfits. And I imagine custom basement dungeon bars aren't cheap, unless you're a redneck and get really creative with chicken wire. Even so... you don't have to be rich to be weird.

• I mean, yeah you're right and I agree, but the comparison seems a little random don't you think? A superhero whose objective is to save people vs. a horny supervisor. Two completely different things.

• Think of this post as insurance. Because I anticipate 50 Shades defenders exist, and will use arguments similar to the one I debunked above. The spirit of Marquis deSade is alive and well with us today. Those who wished to kick down Lot's door now influence the West from the grave.

They've been very, very successful at rebuilding the spirit of Sodom and Gomorrah, via politicians and entertainers who've been given a false set of arguments and false senses of identity. They've been more successful today than ever before at seducing the masses into a deathstyle of darkness.

The massive success of the LGBTPIZ juggernaut - to the point of allowing lewd and nude conduct during parades in some cities leading police to arresting conscientious objectors instead of the lewd actors and assailants - has set the stage for more. p*rn is more mainstream than ever, and 50 Shades is a gateway through which the BDSM and cannibal fantasy crowd is looking to go mainstream.

• Be ready for rationalizations galore from those crowds. They're already doing it. Vaccinate your mind while you can. And be prepared for them to call you "intolerant" even as they send an army to harass you. The so-called "slippery slope" is now an avalanche.

• I really love you MyTake, (i did one on Fifty Shades of Rubbish too) but you had a different approach to it.

• I love this! I'd upvote this to death if I could.

• I don't know why any girl in her right mind would love a guy like Christian Grey. I could barely complete the novel. They say that FSOG is twilight's fanfic, but after reading FSOG, I find twilight MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better. Moreover, I agree that the main appeal of Christian is his money and looks. There is no good quality in that man whatsoever! Moreover, I hate that Anna (or whoever the protagonist is!)

• Do you not understand why Christian Grey is a billionaire in that book?

I would imagine it plays into the (very obviously portrayed) fantasy of the very powerful man dominating the timid little lady. That's clearly a fantasy a shit ton of women have. It doesn't mean that all the women in the world are shallow.

• If take a short arsed Michael Keaton over that prep school looking vomit fest that is Mr Grey anyday. He looks like Colin Firth, nothing naughty and sexy about someone who looks like a Tory MP.

I just wish they'd stop plastering it all over the TV. I'm so fucking sick of it, also, Michelle Pfeiffer was the hottest Cat Woman ever, easy sexier than that dowdy, bad haircut frump in fifty shades.

• I'm pleased to say that I have managed to avoid 50 Shades of Grey throughout the entire hype: both the book and the movie.

I only have a vague idea about the story and quite frankly, if I wanted to watch BDSM, I'll go to PornHub or RedTube. I imagine they had to tone down the scenes in the movie to make them look more vanilla to appeal to all the loveless women.

LOL.

• I fell asleep on 50 shades of grey movie, and I read some quotes from the book... not really sexy. Batman is awesome.

• 50 shades of grey sucked. I want my money back!!

• if you meet me I'll show you how 50 shades of grey should be ;)

• Oh really! I bet you would!

• I was a prostitute and I know the world. money isn't always good thing to have.

• can you tell what do you mean by that?

• rich people are out of their mind because of too much money doing drugs, self esteem crush, fear of ashamed. It's just money makes them weird. Their family is so caught up with money they can't do nothing really so, they use sexual fetish as a outlet thinking maybe someone will save their poor soul.

• Nothing wrong with being rich but the wolf of Wall Street makes your statement kinda true.

• Ughh... I saw 50 Shades... ugh, it probably truly wouldn't of been that bad, if there was good chemistry. Glad I didn't read the books. Batman on the other hand great!

• How on earth could anyone compare 50 Shades of Grey to Batman? :\ i saw 50 Shades and it's a sick.. sick... movie, so much wrong with it lol, Batman is 1 billion times better than any movie like this, it kicks it's ass and sucker punches it in the face, Batman would sucker punch Christian Grey for abusing Anatasia xD.

• I would date Karen Starr, Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark or any other superhero or superheroine

• Now i want that criminal minds episode

• Yep and I guarantee you the 50 shades fans would say how the criminal minds episode is disgusting and how how the protagonist should be in jail.

What Guys Said 10

• Batman > 5sog any time any place any where.

• 50 shades started as twilight fan fic writing in the sex.

Someone could go write in bdsm sex for batman just the same.

I think a lot of women find the superhero outfit... Let's say unrealistic (which it is but they don't enjoy that aspect)

But if you think women would enjoy 50 shades less if Christian worked to fight crime on the side, I doubt it. They might find it implausible but if they bought it theyd just use it as an explanation for his dark fantasies and to absolve him even more.

• Vote batman!

• I shared this meme/picture with the trailer on Facebook and couldn't agree more with your take. If mr grey wasn't rich, he'd be viewed differently.

It's kinda like how if a rich businessman evades taxes or rips people off he's a smart businessman but if it's a poor person needing assistance to get by such as food stamps, welfare, etc or even has to steal to get by then he/she is lazy, entitled or a thief.

Gotta love double standards.

• 50 shades appeals to disfunctional people who think abuse is the same thing as passion. This can be said for ALLOT! of romance novel material.

It's a good news situation in one way at least however, because knowing someone consumes this stuff is the same as them telling you they are not worth getting involved with.

• As you seem to have already said, the whole point of this meme seems to be to demonstrate how those individuals that hold positions of relative social power are judged by a different set of standards than the rest of us.

• 50 Shades of Grey doesn't need to be discussed by anyone. It's a rape flick that they try to play off as a romance

Everyone should be offended by that

• What's BDSM?

• Hmm... I've seen that before somewhere.

r/showerthoughts maybe?

• @ObscuredBeyond I loved the image you found for this, it is spot on. Great myTake on 50 shades.