Hollywood Roles Models: Who You Should Really Be Looking Up To

When I hear young people say they look up to people like Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber I feel like I’ve failed them somehow. Miley and Justin are NOT horrible people – they are young, they make mistakes – but they are certainly not people to look up to. Getting arrested, and posting twerking videos on Instagram are not things youth should aspire to. They should look up to people who want to change the world for the better.Hollywood Roles Models: Who You Should Really Be Looking Up To

Emma Watson

Despite not needing to further her education (because she’s a mega celebrity with millions of dollars) Emma went and graduated from Brown University with bachelor's degree in English literature. She’s also an advocate for women’s rights and gender equality.

Demi Lovato

In the past Demi has opened up about eating issues and depression and body image in order to help your girls cope with their own struggles. In 2010, she got treatment for her bipolar disorder and came back stronger than ever. “It’s [being a role model] not about being perfect. It’s about speaking about your issues and inspiring others to get help.”

Leonardo DiCaprio

Guys need role models, too. Leo is an advocate for environmental issues. He founded the Leonardo DiCaprio foundation, which places emphasis on the issues of global warming, alternative and renewable energy sources, and the preservation of the planet’s biodiversity. Basically he cares A LOT about the environment.

Guys and positive male role models?

Sandra Bullock (my role model)

For as long as I can remember Sandra Bullock has been referred to as “America’s Sweetheart.” That is because you don’t see her in the tabloids and she’s never involved in any scandals. Even when it was revealed that her husband was cheating on her she handled it with grace and filled for divorce.

Who are some people you look up to in Hollywood?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 40

• I look up to people like Bruce Lee not because of the game behind but because. Bruce was a great teacher of martial arts who paved the way for MMA, he was also a great philosopher and great man who taught valuable lessons. And desired to work hard and perfect whatecer he did he was a strong believer in never taking short cuts. And that you should be we pray for a easy life but the strength to endure a difficult one.

• Leo is a manwhore!

• The only person you should look up to is yourself. Why try and be like someone else?

• I don't read tabloids and I've always liked sandra bullock

• I look up to Kim-Jong-Un. Such a inspiration, Making North Korea such a great place.

• Hey, this is a good post!

I vote Leonardo.

• Look up to yourself and nobody else! -.- What's the matter with you people? A bit more of it and you will end up praying like they're gods..

• I think the best role model in hollywood is Angelina Jolie

• The best is to look up to no Hollywood celebrities.

• I don't look up to people in Hollywood.

• Never have I heard a single human recommend Beiber or Miley as people to use as a role model. If somehow you have people in your life recommending them as role models I suggest finding a different surrounding. Beiber by the way is actually not a good person. I could go on and tell you why but I think his behavior speaks for itself but I am not a big fan of celebrities and use others as role models.

• So you lump in a mouthpiece for the hate-mongering feminists with celebrities actually trying to make the world a better place? I would be insulted if I were compared to her!

• HAHA Leonardo DiCaprio throws crazy house parties with cocaine and models lol!
    he is a great example of someone i look up to!(JK) he is awesome but flawed like evryone else

I think some great role models for guys are people like Steve Carrell, Mel Gibson, and Sean Connery

• I think this take is very wise

• I'm sorry but I don't think you should be telling other people who to admire. I also do not care much for these Hollywood celebrities. I admire Carl Sagan for devoting his life to the exploration of space, the search for extraterrestrial lifeforms and the education of the public.

• These are just people I think are good role models. They obviously don't have to be your (or anyone else's) just because I wrote a post about it.

• Well you did call this post "Who you should really be looking up to"

• I look up to Eminem for the most part. Is that bad?

• Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?
      I repeat. Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?

We're gonna have a problem here.

• Also Richard Branson, Bruce Lee this are my top 2 motivators, inspirations. Bruce Lee was different, he liked martial arts and who he was. He was "skinny" but he trained hard to be the best fighter and he still is #1.

Richard Branson is the guy who Virgin company, he's doesn't have only one "company" but more than 100. He purchase Necker Island by borrowing money from family, friends and he wansn't even rich back than... in the book he said that he purchased it for 90% cheaper, because the owner who was selling island (necker island) was broke and he needed money. It was still expensive for someone who wasn't rich, but he made it.

'We want an equitable and peaceful world': Sir Richard Branson to give away half his fortune to charity
    He supports gay marriage
    21st Century Leaders
    46664
    Aegis Trust
    Avoided Deforestation Partners
    Cancer Research UK
    Caudwell Children
    charity:water
    Children with AIDS
    Free The Children
    Girls Not Brides
    Greenpeace
    Heavens Angels
    International Rescue Corps
    Kids Company
    Life College
    Make A Child Smile Appeal
    Marie Keating Foundation
    Mineseeker Foundation
    Peace One Day
    Prince's Rainforests Project
    ROTA
    Small Steps Project
    Stand Up To Cancer
    Starfish Greathearts Foundation
    Strike a Chord for Cancer Foundation
    Swan Lifeline
    The Elders
    Virgin Unite
    Water. org
    Whatever It Takes
    WildAid

• i dont know about the rest but leo is definitely a good example. a lot of people have this stereotype about child stars leading fucked up lives but thats not actually true, its just the child stars from disney. Leonardo Dicaprio was a child star and he turned out just fine and so did so many others that i can't remember because you really wouldn't have pegged them for child stars because they're not fucked in the head. Personally i like RDJ cause he's had his issues with drugs and some other fucked up shit in the past but he's survived and made it out strong and unbroken by it. and he's not afraid to speak his mind or call people out on their bullshit even when the entire world could just as easily judge him for it. he keeps his flaws in the light and that takes balls.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BrqzalJ4dI

• yeah i'm not really inspired by these people tbh.

Lets look at emma watson. Since she's rich, her degree choice didn't really matter, but i hope to God that other women don't follow that path, as we already have too many people graduating with these soft liberal arts degrees that aren't in high demand compared to the STEM fields. The reason why a wage gap even exists is due to women like emma going for these kind of degrees versus something like engineering, or organic chemistry. Women like emma will go for a degree like this that has poor job prospects in the 21st century economy, then turn around and say we need a HeForShe campaign to close the wage gap, even though the U. S. department of labour has done their own studies on the matter and concluded that the 23-cent wage gap "may be almost entirely the result of individual choices being made by both male and female workers."

www.consad.com/.../...e%20Gap%20Final%20Report.pdf

Then there's Sandra Bullock. In my opinion, she's a symbol of what's wrong with mainstream media today. Stations like CNN, instead of being watchdogs for the people, they've become lapdogs for the government... willing to bend with supple knee to appease the establishment. These people don't do real journalism anymore. The USA has some major issues when it comes to campaign financing, NSA illegality, The NDAA, Drone strikes killing way too many civilians, going to war (yet again...) with another enemy the USA created... and you hardly hear a peep from people like Sandra and others on CNN and similar stations

The other two, I don't have a huge problem with, but the things they do aren't very uncommon, innovative or game changing. It's hard for me to take inspiration from someone like demi levato because her support network is much better than what the average woman has who is going through similar circumstances. I'm much more inspired by girls who overcome like demi did, but without the financial backing and the thousands of Twitter followers cheering her on. Just my 2 cents

• P. S. if you're trying the link i posted, click this one, as the one i posted seems to be broken:

In terms of my own role models, I tend to look to people who are real innovators, rags to riches kind of people. Nick D'alonsio, 17 year old kid who made an app called summly, which summarizes articles you read in under 400 characters. Sold it to yahoo for 30 million and was offered a job there to boot. The kid was still in high school. I'm also inspired by people like Malala Yousafzai, a pakistani activist for female education in the middle east. She stood up to the taliban, and they shot her in the head for it. She survived it, and not only didn't stop her advocacy.. but she doubled down on it... and said boldly to president obama that she did not fear the taliban, nor did she approve of his way of dealing with them through drone strikes. She did the kind of thing that women like Sandra would never do tbh, which is stand up to the president when he is clearly wrong.

• @Queen_naki5

Well that's something i definitely respect. It's always difficult for me to take people like Emma Watson seriously on these kind of issues, because she just seems to lack the nuance, the finesse and the research to stage a social justice campaign. I like her looks, and I like her acting... but I don't jive with her when it comes to her strain of feminism. Again though, your way of viewing the path you have chosen for yourself is one that I do respect and have admiration for.

• Thank you. I also like Emma as an actress. She's very poised but quite out of touch in some matters.

• I have to i am going with leo because he aslo took the risk with someone else to get a part in the worlds first electric racing series and aslo kate winslet she seems a bit like bullock dont really see her in the papers much and a great actress she was only 19 when she was in titanic !

• More from Guys
    20

What Girls Said 38

• I don't look up to any celebrities. There are much better people out there to be role models than Hollywood celebrities.

• I don't have celebrity role models but Emma Watson would be the one I'd look up to if I did. She's amazing.

• I just love taylor swift ahha :)

• Sandra Bullock is cool. I like her. c:

• Why would one ideolize a Hollywood celebrity? I'm sure they're nice people, but most, including the ones you've listed, have done absolutely nothing to actually make our world better. Lol like, I don't understand.

• i am looking up to Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom. they are my idols.

• I wouldn't look up to Emma Watson if she was on a ladder.
    I don't agree that pushing misinformation and expecting men to become part of a falsified ideology should be anything to look up to.
    Media Stars are not people to look up to, there reasons for being altruistic is self preservation or their stature.

These are people to look up to:

Dr. Christina Hoff Sommers - Her work to close the misinformation of feminism.

Warren Farrell - His work on the issues of decline for boys in schooling.

Bill Nye - His work on education in Science and pushing back against religious ignorance.

Neil Degrasse Tyson - His work in science and the study of our universe.

Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens - Their NON-Missionary charity work.

• Lol people only look up to Hollywood stars nowadays, not people that are ACTUALLY putting in work to make our world better.

• Yeah it's a sad world we live in when a Kardashian gets more admirers than a person of great skill, knowledge, and merit.

• Stephen Fry.

• I look up to people who make mistakes, so i can learn from them :) not perfect people... those are boring. I love Justin Bieber. not his music, just his personality. He's a sweetheart

• I thought girls just liked his looks 😮

• he's alright. in real life he looks way better, i've already met him more than 6 times... sweetest celeb ever

• I look up to a lot of girl groups, Beyoncé, Janelle Monaé most of my teachers because for the longest time I've wanted to become a choir and englisn teacher/director I love music, working with kids, and they make it fun too. They really are strong women and they're my role models.

• Ian Somerhalder - He has a foundation that helps out animals. He is very vocal about saving the environment. He tries to raise money for anything that needs it. He even tries to help out his home state of Louisiana.

• I don't look up to celebrities.

• I don't know anyone who says that they look up to those people except for my younger sister, and what about Oprah and theirs some others but I can't remeber

• I think a lot of young people are smart enough to look up to a certain characteristic of a celebrity and not necessarily assume there every personality trait. You may look up to the Kardashians, and why not. They are self made moguls. But does that mean you will do everything they do? No of course not.
    You can admire Justin Bieber for his talent, dexterity and his use of a social media platform such as YouTube to gain attention and connections in the music industry. But his success which you may admire him for and his personal failures which you may laugh or shake your head at, are distinguishable from one another.

• Demi Lavoto

• Taylor Swift

She talks about haters are going to hate but you just got to shake it off. See what I did there?

• I look up to Lorde, strong, isn't about looks, she's different, she's herself, she's something else, and props to her for sticking out in the mess of twerking and "swag"

• Ok leonardo dicaprio is a male ho. But he's cute though and I do like him. He's just not a good role model. Demi isn't good either.

• How do you know Miley & Justin are horrible people? They're obviously trouble young people struggling to find out who they are.. its not their obligation to be a role model, how about teaching young people to study the world & all its intricate details. . keep an open mind, practice compassion & become their own unique person not modeled after an image projected by celebrity

• but what about taylor swift? she's a great role model

• More from Girls
    18