Hollywood Roles Models: Who You Should Really Be Looking Up To

When I hear young people say they look up to people like Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber I feel like I’ve failed them somehow. Miley and Justin are NOT horrible people – they are young, they make mistakes – but they are certainly not people to look up to. Getting arrested, and posting twerking videos on Instagram are not things youth should aspire to. They should look up to people who want to change the world for the better.Hollywood Roles Models: Who You Should Really Be Looking Up To

Emma Watson

Despite not needing to further her education (because she’s a mega celebrity with millions of dollars) Emma went and graduated from Brown University with bachelor's degree in English literature. She’s also an advocate for women’s rights and gender equality.

Demi Lovato

In the past Demi has opened up about eating issues and depression and body image in order to help your girls cope with their own struggles. In 2010, she got treatment for her bipolar disorder and came back stronger than ever. “It’s [being a role model] not about being perfect. It’s about speaking about your issues and inspiring others to get help.”

Leonardo DiCaprio

Guys need role models, too. Leo is an advocate for environmental issues. He founded the Leonardo DiCaprio foundation, which places emphasis on the issues of global warming, alternative and renewable energy sources, and the preservation of the planet’s biodiversity. Basically he cares A LOT about the environment.

Guys and positive male role models?

Sandra Bullock (my role model)

For as long as I can remember Sandra Bullock has been referred to as “America’s Sweetheart.” That is because you don’t see her in the tabloids and she’s never involved in any scandals. Even when it was revealed that her husband was cheating on her she handled it with grace and filled for divorce.

Who are some people you look up to in Hollywood?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 40

• yeah i'm not really inspired by these people tbh.

Lets look at emma watson. Since she's rich, her degree choice didn't really matter, but i hope to God that other women don't follow that path, as we already have too many people graduating with these soft liberal arts degrees that aren't in high demand compared to the STEM fields. The reason why a wage gap even exists is due to women like emma going for these kind of degrees versus something like engineering, or organic chemistry. Women like emma will go for a degree like this that has poor job prospects in the 21st century economy, then turn around and say we need a HeForShe campaign to close the wage gap, even though the U. S. department of labour has done their own studies on the matter and concluded that the 23-cent wage gap "may be almost entirely the result of individual choices being made by both male and female workers."

www.consad.com/.../...e%20Gap%20Final%20Report.pdf

Then there's Sandra Bullock. In my opinion, she's a symbol of what's wrong with mainstream media today. Stations like CNN, instead of being watchdogs for the people, they've become lapdogs for the government... willing to bend with supple knee to appease the establishment. These people don't do real journalism anymore. The USA has some major issues when it comes to campaign financing, NSA illegality, The NDAA, Drone strikes killing way too many civilians, going to war (yet again...) with another enemy the USA created... and you hardly hear a peep from people like Sandra and others on CNN and similar stations

The other two, I don't have a huge problem with, but the things they do aren't very uncommon, innovative or game changing. It's hard for me to take inspiration from someone like demi levato because her support network is much better than what the average woman has who is going through similar circumstances. I'm much more inspired by girls who overcome like demi did, but without the financial backing and the thousands of Twitter followers cheering her on. Just my 2 cents

• P. S. if you're trying the link i posted, click this one, as the one i posted seems to be broken:

In terms of my own role models, I tend to look to people who are real innovators, rags to riches kind of people. Nick D'alonsio, 17 year old kid who made an app called summly, which summarizes articles you read in under 400 characters. Sold it to yahoo for 30 million and was offered a job there to boot. The kid was still in high school. I'm also inspired by people like Malala Yousafzai, a pakistani activist for female education in the middle east. She stood up to the taliban, and they shot her in the head for it. She survived it, and not only didn't stop her advocacy.. but she doubled down on it... and said boldly to president obama that she did not fear the taliban, nor did she approve of his way of dealing with them through drone strikes. She did the kind of thing that women like Sandra would never do tbh, which is stand up to the president when he is clearly wrong.

• @Queen_naki5

Well that's something i definitely respect. It's always difficult for me to take people like Emma Watson seriously on these kind of issues, because she just seems to lack the nuance, the finesse and the research to stage a social justice campaign. I like her looks, and I like her acting... but I don't jive with her when it comes to her strain of feminism. Again though, your way of viewing the path you have chosen for yourself is one that I do respect and have admiration for.

• Thank you. I also like Emma as an actress. She's very poised but quite out of touch in some matters.

• Gotta admit, I hear people's role models these days and that shit fucking scares me.

Like, out of all the great men and women in life, people who overcame real struggles and hardships, people who exhibit strong character integrity and morals, you pick fuckin' Kim Kardashian and little Wayne?

• With celebrities it is easier to look up to them because they are famous and have accomplishments that everyone knows about. I believe, however, that for many the best people to look up to are the ones in your own lives that set a good example and inspire you. Either way it is good to have something that inspires you to better your self.

• HAHA Leonardo DiCaprio throws crazy house parties with cocaine and models lol!
    he is a great example of someone i look up to!(JK) he is awesome but flawed like evryone else

I think some great role models for guys are people like Steve Carrell, Mel Gibson, and Sean Connery

• i dont know about the rest but leo is definitely a good example. a lot of people have this stereotype about child stars leading fucked up lives but thats not actually true, its just the child stars from disney. Leonardo Dicaprio was a child star and he turned out just fine and so did so many others that i can't remember because you really wouldn't have pegged them for child stars because they're not fucked in the head. Personally i like RDJ cause he's had his issues with drugs and some other fucked up shit in the past but he's survived and made it out strong and unbroken by it. and he's not afraid to speak his mind or call people out on their bullshit even when the entire world could just as easily judge him for it. he keeps his flaws in the light and that takes balls.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BrqzalJ4dI

• the only one on this list worthy of looking up to is Sandra. The others are only people you look up to if you believe in liberal causes

but yeah much better than Miley or the Biebs

I would like kids to look up to people like Jennifer Lawence. But really, why dont the kids look up to the real heroes and everday people in their lives who do good things? Those are the REAL role models, i dont think Hollywood is where you should look for role models at all

• I look up to people like Bruce Lee not because of the game behind but because. Bruce was a great teacher of martial arts who paved the way for MMA, he was also a great philosopher and great man who taught valuable lessons. And desired to work hard and perfect whatecer he did he was a strong believer in never taking short cuts. And that you should be we pray for a easy life but the strength to endure a difficult one.

• @jannette723

I've noticed you've posted here a lot recently and I just have to wonder; what exactly do you have to say? As so many smarter people than me have said before and I'll misquote "just because your voice can reach China doesn't mean its any smarter when it reaches the end of the bar."

• A myTake is just that MY take on something. I think It's great that people are commenting and disagreeing. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed with each other.

• You've failed to prove any point, you just provided false platitudes and that everyone has their own opinions. I'm not saying your opinions are bad, I'm saying their boring.

• Why do you read her my takes all the time if you find them boring?

• Very true.
    I don't know why people look up to people like Mylie Cyrus or Justin Bieber, they are pretty bad influences who have made to many mistakes.
    As a guy, I don't look up to celebrities, I look at my dad and older as inspiration. It was my ad who inspired me to treat wen right and my brother to get me into working out to get stronger and feel better about my self.

• I have to i am going with leo because he aslo took the risk with someone else to get a part in the worlds first electric racing series and aslo kate winslet she seems a bit like bullock dont really see her in the papers much and a great actress she was only 19 when she was in titanic !

• Leo is a manwhore!

• I'm sorry but I don't think you should be telling other people who to admire. I also do not care much for these Hollywood celebrities. I admire Carl Sagan for devoting his life to the exploration of space, the search for extraterrestrial lifeforms and the education of the public.

• These are just people I think are good role models. They obviously don't have to be your (or anyone else's) just because I wrote a post about it.

• Well you did call this post "Who you should really be looking up to"

• Why do people need role models to be from Hollywood? That's probably the last place you should look for a role model.

Better question: Why should people need role models at all? Are their parents not doing a good job?

• I think kanye west is a good role model!!!

• The only person you should look up to is yourself. Why try and be like someone else?

• they all suck

• ... more like Sandra BOLLOCKS!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- And then Ether Bot was arrested by the Bad-Puns-Nazi

• I haven't met anyone who idolizes Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber. If I did, I'd be very wary of that person.

• Look up to yourself and nobody else! -.- What's the matter with you people? A bit more of it and you will end up praying like they're gods..

• I don't look up to people in Hollywood.

• More from Guys
    20

What Girls Said 38

• Honestly I think celebrity role models are bad to have. I mean it isn't gonna stop kids from having them but I don't think its always healthy. Role models in general aren't always good in my opinion. When I was younger I looked up to celebrities but I often found that I didn't want to be like them I just wanted to be them and when it finally hit me that no matter what I did to be like them I could never be them and I would never be satisfied honestly that was really upsetting. Maybe I was weird about role models so maybe I'm not the best person to go by but that's just my opinion. Though I do think the people you put on this list are decent choices.

• Not really... lol taking a political career is suicidal to any celebrities career sadly... to anyone's career as a matter of fact, too many celebs have gone to the dark side when they joined politics, Arnold Schwarzenegger hangs with the Kennedy's yet has the nerve to judge people like Miley Cyprus (she is dating his son), but the Kennedy's aren't clean or "proper" whatsoeer... lol hypocrite... how can he live in such a conservative life? So i don't look up to anyoone in politics, politics is stupid these days... doesn't make any actual REAL difference except causing more propaganda, issues and chaos...

• I don't look up to any celebrities. There are much better people out there to be role models than Hollywood celebrities.

• People should really look up to people who have careers or lifestyles they wish to have. You shouldn't look up to someone just because they are famous there should be more substance for why you look up to them, just because they have done great things, in my opinion is not a great enough reason unless the great things they've done are things you wish to accomplish.

• I agee! I look up to Taylor Swift as well. People can say what they want about her, but she's sweet, generous, talented, and relatable!

• but what about taylor swift? she's a great role model

• I don't have celebrity role models but Emma Watson would be the one I'd look up to if I did. She's amazing.

• Miley Cyrus doesn't care about whatever people think of her. She's gonna do what she wants, she doesn't do it to please other people. She's no generic, voiceless puppet. She stands up for herself and what she believes... I applaud her.

Besides that, she is very talented. She has so much involvement in the production of her music, from the writing, to the marketing, the videos.
    She is my role model. Can't stop, won't stop. LOVE her!

• I like Miley, but she's not my kind of role model.

• To me Miley represents Freedom, independence, feminist. She's my kind of woman. I want her badassness lol. I appreciate your opinion though.

• Here are celebrities I look up to:
    Johnny Depp
    Angelina Jolie
    Michael Jackson
    Scarlett Johanson
    Madonna

• I believe that this is really just a matter of personal opinion. I don't agree with you. I think that these people are good role models in your eyes, although I wouldn't disagree that they've done great things and probably contributed a lot. I just feel like the list goes on, there is a plethora of other celebs that I feel are better role models compared to these celebs. Other than that, good take.

• The list definitely goes on, but I don't have time to write about every celebrity that could be a role model. That's why I asked people who they look up to. A lot have said JLaw

• That woman does not age! She is the definition of fabulous

• Yes! She's stunning. I loved her at the Oscars.

• Great choices... Jennifer Lawrence is another good one, so down to earth and not caught up in the craziness of fame... I also look up to older actors like Julie Andrews, Helen Mirren, and Maggie Smith... As an actress myself, I only dream of the day when I'm looked upon with that level of respect.

• I look up to a lot of girl groups, Beyoncé, Janelle Monaé most of my teachers because for the longest time I've wanted to become a choir and englisn teacher/director I love music, working with kids, and they make it fun too. They really are strong women and they're my role models.

• How do you know Miley & Justin are horrible people? They're obviously trouble young people struggling to find out who they are.. its not their obligation to be a role model, how about teaching young people to study the world & all its intricate details. . keep an open mind, practice compassion & become their own unique person not modeled after an image projected by celebrity

• Why would one ideolize a Hollywood celebrity? I'm sure they're nice people, but most, including the ones you've listed, have done absolutely nothing to actually make our world better. Lol like, I don't understand.

• Stephen Fry.

• i am looking up to Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom. they are my idols.

• Taylor Swift

She talks about haters are going to hate but you just got to shake it off. See what I did there?

• Sandra Bullock is cool. I like her. c:

• How is Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt not mentioned?

• Ian Somerhalder - He has a foundation that helps out animals. He is very vocal about saving the environment. He tries to raise money for anything that needs it. He even tries to help out his home state of Louisiana.

• More from Girls
    18