What color is that dress: Polarizing the Sexes?

Ok by now the whole world has 'seen' the dress and debated at length about what colour it truly is - white/gold or blue/black.

But what I noticed is that the debate between the sexes actually heated up as couples asked each other: 'Honey, what colour do YOU see?' This even caused some arguments between couples about who was colour-blind!

The Dress: Polarizing the Sexes?

Kim K aside, Isn't it interesting how something so small and immaterial can bring up some intense emotions between men and women when you chose a clear side? Did you notice that?

I noticed that a lot of women said White/Gold and many men said Blue/Black. Maybe that's just my perception but I saw some funny posts and interesting arguments lovers had over what colour that bloody dress was - it kind of translates to how different sometimes men and women see things, let alone this dress, and how small issues of contention can blow up into unnecessary battles that couples have over nothing at all really.

This debate made me laugh at loud at how one dress could be seen so adamently differently by so many people at the same time. Imagine the kinds of debates and drama a bigger issue could make between couples, who become polarizied so easily over some cloth?

Well, you know what they say - if the dress fits...

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

• I seriously don't understand where people get the black from. It's obviously lighter than that. I personally vote for white/taupe.

• I saw light blue/dark yellow.

And here's why I think that nobody can agree on the matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQsOFQju08

• this is silly...

so much energy, expended over some dress. And a Tweet from a woman who did little noteworthy to become famous (not being a politician, sportsperson, actress, scientist, academic, artist, writer, humanitarian, businessperson, etc.)

• This topic is so amazing cause like SCIENCE and stuff. Like this debate needs to be settled cause it is like so important and like SCIENCE and stuff like people see colors different cause like SCIENCE and stuff. Like there is so much SCIENCE there cause like SCIENCE and stuff.

• The colour is "I don't care"

• America is doomed

• I don't think it has anything to do with the sexes, just which image (the light or dark one) you saw.

• It's the trick of the light depends upon the situation in the light it's in at the time.

• easy, it's multicolored. It's an optical illusion created by the colors.
    The "gold" part is made so it reflects very little light. This makes it look almost black in little light (personally i see a shade of brown). An the light blue looks dark blue in little light, and white in bright light.
    So the dress is a dark golden, and bright blue!

In fact, if you look at the 3 images you see that the one to the left is artificially brightened, and the one to the right is darkened. Hence the one in the middle is in fact the real one. And there we see the dress is dark gold, and light blue.

• Enough with this dress thing, it's been dead since yesterday. Stop milking.

• I don't even get this debate? all 3 pictures are obviously the same dress in different lighting situations.
    try taking a picture of white in low light with no flash... comes out bluish.
    the gold does not look black at all?
    I just don't get the issue

• There are other pics. The dress IS black and blue.

• right. but all 3 pictures are of the exact same dress. just in different light. correct?

• it's a stupid thing where the girls couldn't remember the real colors and the horrible lighting made them question their sanity, and they got lucky that it blew up...

• Good point.
    We can conclude from it that different sexes tend to stay in different lighting conditions, right?

What Girls Said 8

• seriously? again with this dress? its just white and gold.. but with a different light effect it looks darker like black and blue!!!

• i hate gold and all i can see is tacky gold lace

• I saw it both colors at different times. So did my bf.

On a side note: Kim K is a useless human being and if people stopped paying attention to her, and following her, she would disappear and the world would be a little better overall.

• I saw it as white and gold first for a whole they then later that evening it changed to blue and black now all I see is blue and black everyday hasn't changed looking at the exact same picture

• I don't see black at all. I see white and gold, and even with the last picture I can see blue but the lace looks brown. Although I've seen the original photo of it when it's blue and black. I just can't believe how popular this story is. I don't go on Facebook all the much, but Friday the one day I go on it and that dress clogged up my newsfeed. So I got off of Facebook, but I see it everywhere on the internet, now even this site.

• I thought it was actually black and blue but I guess I was wrong too. It's just the lighting..:)

• "The design director of Roman Originals, the company that manufacturers the dress that has caused a worldwide debate on Friday , has confirmed the true hue of the frock - royal blue and black. (Feb. 28) AP"

www.usatoday.com/.../

• Blue & Black.