Women Who Do Men’s Jobs

These women deserve a little respect. They have jobs in male dominated fields. Jobs that include labor, a specific skill and attention to detail. Here is a list for International Women's Day — March 8 — to celebrate these women and others like them.

Truck Driver

Women Who Do Men’s Jobs

Surgeon

Train Driver

Mechanic

Butcher

Electrician

Firefighter

Construction Worker

Comment below if you know a woman that has a traditionally male job.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Girls Said 21

• I am a paramedic in a fire department. When I first was hired, I was in s very small minority. More of us now, but still a men's world.

• I'm in Computer Science... it's male dominated and sometimes can be hard. But I've managed to get through it.

• every time I see a female engineer
    http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/53131326.jpg

• I just hope someday these jobs aren't considered traditionally male! Kudos to those women who break the gender barrier!

• Butcher and surgeon don't seem specifically male to me.

I mean, kind of (butcher), but maybe that's because I associate women with large-scale cooking.

Surgeon - meh. Many of my doctors have been female - I suppose I assume it continues into the specialties, though maybe not.

• Also, I've lived in farm country for a long time so these things aren't as uncommon here. Construction worker, somewhat - mechanic, uncommon.

I myself was a Boy Scouts archery instructor and learned on day 1 that you have to establish respect before you can get anything done.

• Yes I do know one me. I have worked general construction & am presently driving truck on the hwy. For you guys that are thinking little truck no it has a gross weight of 63000 kg {138000 lbs}

• Why do they deserve more respect? Its just a job, they're not more "respectable"for having a job that's usually held by men.

by the way since when is "attention to detail" and "specific skill"male traits...

• Since when is a surgeon a man's job? The majority of the doctors (including surgeons) where I work are women. So ehhh to that one.

• I'm a software engineer. In this male dominant industry, I'm the only female and the youngest one in my department, which is why I get picked on a lot.

• Im in Architectrual Engineering, the reaction i get when i say engineering in general is weird because i'm a girl. i always thought designing is more of a female thing but eh society!

• I know my mother and myself she has been in construction for 10 years and I been 4 years. People get extremely surprised when I tell them my vocation. I also know a woman truck driver.

• Honestly now both males and females should become whatever they want to!

Also if a male wants to become a hairdresser or a nurse, it is ok too!

• Agreed, my girlfriend hairstylist is a guy and he always does a good job

• I work for a law enforcement agency and while I'm not an officer, I'm one of the few women employed there. It's pretty much a boys club and often times I'm the only woman in the whole building!

• I know some women that are in the special operations forces of their countries.

• some men are smaller than women

• My aunt is a sheriff and a security guard.

• I did not like the name "men job"

• This is really cisgendered. Thanks, GAG.

• 2|1
  • That's condescending. They are not " men's jobs ". A woman doing her job is doing her job. Not a nabs job. Jobs that have been dominated by men are jobs women were blocked from. Not jobs that were men's jobs. And a majority does not equal owneership. There are more women alive than men. Does that mean men should get a pat on the back for being a part of our world. There are More white students at my university than any other skin shade.. My guess is You wouldn't dare congratulate minority males for making it In a white female dominated sphere.

I think you meant well... But it's sexist.

• More from Girls
    1

What Guys Said 21

• Shouldn't you see them for what they do, not their gender?

She's a truck driver/doctor/engineer/mechanic who happens to be a woman, not a woman truck driver/doctor/etc

Will you be organizing a second day for men who work in female dominated fields like nursing, teaching, or administration?

• I don't see how surgeon is a male job :/

• I guess scientists and engineers weren't cool enough.

• YEa not many women in the construction field i promise yah that ^^ lifting 75 to 100 pound objects daily is not something most women can do. They just can't. There are some things women are good at, and some things men are just good at. And thats the way its gonna be ^_^

• Just because a woman is doing a job that men traditionally did doesn't deserve any more or less respect than men who do that same job.

That there would be gender equality.

• "These women deserve a little respect."

A LITTLE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I also want to put this one out: What is a Men-job? Is a male job considered a job, where the majority men are working? Is a male job considered, when there is 'masculine' thinking and logic required? Is a male job considered in relation to be rather physically heavy? Anyway, when women are trespassing the male's job area I would highly sympathize them. They want (ed) gender equality, so let them have what they asked for.

• Try being a teacher (90% female coworkers) and then come back at me with that bullshit

• meh. I remain for my opinion you just called something you would say in the bad form of: Discord ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• That was sarcastic. They obviously deserve more than "a little respect"

• Although I don't have much problem with gender roles unlike some people on this site do. There is no such thing as a "man's job" or a "woman's job."

Indeed there are male and female dominated professions out there. However that doesn't mean being a nurse isn't women's work, and being a carpenter isn't men's work.

• I dont understand this post, All of these jobs are male dominate because women dont really pursue any of these jobs. I can count on one hand how many women i know that have ever mentioned becoming any of these besides a Surgeon. I can do this because it is zero.

Surgeon shouldn't be on this list at all but i guess it made it.

• Very interesting :)

• I don't think there's any job left where there's no women.

• That construction worker is hot.

• FYI, you realize that standards for firefighters are lowered so women could join? We're talking about people who carrying TONS of gear and an oxygen tank then have to drag people out of burning buildings... can you understand why women couldn't qualify for a long time?

Also, why do women deserve any special respect for doing those jobs? Are we saying women are mentally inferior, so they should get a clap of "yay, stupid little susy could be a truck driver!"

• DAMN THAT GIRL ELECTRICIAN IS HAWT

• what happened to proffesional female wrestlers

• penis sucking is a real woman's job

• respect for girl studying in my college.. they are more emotionally and mentally stronger than guys..

• March 8 is International Woman's Day?

Be sure to rape a bitch if you see her alone in an alley or park, folks.

• I'm all for women doing what they want. But not if it means lower standerds like firefighters.
    I work in a construction related industry. Every once in a while the boss hires a woman. Of the 20 different women I have worked with only one actually preformed on par with the other guys. The rest: us guys had to not only do our work but also the stuff that the women couldn't do like carrying heavy shit, or they needed to take more breaks. Now we are doing more then our fair share. It's bad enough that all the guys hate to hear when the boss has hired another woman. Another problem is that it used to be that you started out with grunt work when you are young. As you get older and your body has a harder time of it you graduate to driving work trucks as a reward for years of service. The older guys get easyer work. Now women have to be hired and so bosses are sticking them in these driving jobs because they can't preform the harder stuff well. So now a 19 yr old chick gets the job that 54 year old guy should have and now he is back into grunt work. That's bull. If you preform equally then great. If you cannot preform equally, you have no business in that job.

• And we should also respect men that are nurses and also stop discrimination of men that want to have daycare jobs but of course they must be weirdoes if they want that type of work.

• I agree. But this article is about women. Guys deserve their own take. No doubt. Why don't you make one?

• Why? I am lazy and antagonistic.

• Ill decide who deserves my respect

• More from Guys
    1