10 Rules for Being Street Smart

Rule #1 "If you don't know the dude, DON'T trust the dude"

"Man I just let him see my iPod, I thought he was going to bring it back" -__-. If you don't know where he lives OR even know his name why would he?

Rule #2 "If someone ask you to follow them" DON'T do it

That is probably the stupidest thing that you can do because the moment that they isolate you, is the moment that you become "fair game". You might get stabbed, sucker punched, robbed etc and no one would never find out.

Rule #3 Be aware of your surroundings/on guard

I wonder this, how can 3 friends possibly get robbed by 2 dudes that were unarmed. On top of 1 of them literally saying "TWIN YOU WANT SOME SHOES BLOOD? COME ON" So not only were those 3 naive, their heads must have been stuck in the clouds.

Since those guys were walking right in front of them when they did this. The guys never even tried to hide their intentions, hell they let it be known right from the start. But somehow those 3 guys were the only ones that didn't hear them -_-.

Rule #4 Blend in

Dress for the occasion, This is not the time to look glamorous or unique. Don't wear flashy jewelry or bright colors. In some places, certain colors like excessive red or blue are associated with gangs. If you're caught at the wrong place, at the wrong time it can/will game over. Since you can be murdered, jumped, robbed

Rule #5 Know the neighborhood and keep a phone on you

If you don't know the neighborhood, there's a famous saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans" meaning if you're are lost/confused DON'T SHOW IT. If you do you've just put a target on your head. So calmly find your way to someplace that you actually recognize ^^.Mistninja's 10 rules for being street smart

Never leave home without your cell phone. it's your lifeline if you get lost, and it can connect you with/to the police/reinforcements in case of an emergency.

Rule #6 If you're buying something "TEST IT" or "ask questions."

If someone off the streets is trying to sell you a Xbox 360 you need to ask questions OR test it 1st. Never take his word on it and remember "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" So if he's charging 120$ when it cost 400$ at the store SOMETHINGS OFF ABOUT THAT. If he acts defensively while you're questioning him that's another REDFLAG, so you should just end it there.

Rule#7 Let you body speak for you.

When you're walking past someone 90% of the time you're going to lock eyes with them, The worst thing that you can do is "INSTANTLY LOOK AWAY" . Since you've just told me/them that either you're scared/nervous about something. So What you should have done was this "gradually lost eye contact" with them over time ^^.

When you're approached by 3 guys (strangers) make sure that you stand tall and sturdy as if you have the mindset of "I wish y'all would try something" that can speak volumes. On top of saving you from getting Jumped/robbed TRUST ME. The types of people only try that stuff with people that they feel can't/won't put up an actual fight (vulnerable/easy prey).

Rule #8 Remember that everyone isn't your friend

When some that you don't know is trying to talk to you. You should give them just enough Information to keep the convo going. But not enough as to where they fell comfortable.

I know people who will do that on purpose just to see how dumb and naive you're and the moment that you drop your guard is the moment that they take advantage of you via stealing __ from you.

Then they're nowhere to be found. You should never let those types of people know "where you're from" NOR what you're doing in their hood. Since more times than not..they're up to no good anyway just looking for their next victim to scam.

Rule #9 Don't be scared to retreat/run

If your gut feeling is telling you that something is off about___ RUN simple as that. If some dudes are talking crap and you're alone the dumbest thing that you can do is fight either 1 of them BECAUSE Imma tell ya right now you've just set yourself up for failure.

No matter how you want to cut it most people these days don't fight fair so just be smart and run. Don't get yourself put in an early grave all because you couldn't swallow your pride/EGO because it's not that serious man (live to fight another day) ^^.

Rule #10 travel in pack WHILE ignoring the jerks

If someone catcalls or shouts something at you, just keep on walking. There's no sense in turning a stupid comment into an argument or worse. Most of them do that stuff to simple Judge your reaction. So if you show no emotions they'll usually just go on about their day.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 11

• Kind of a pretty great take.
    Good to know.

• RULE #11 If you see someone walk up to you with a camera OR cameras out. PUT YOUR GUARDS UP (fighting guard) BECAUSE something dumb about to happen to you. So hey gear up/prepare yourself for it ^^

• MF need to get hip on that... you see camera YOU ALREADY KNOW that it's going down lol

• Hahah if anything YouTube has taught us that.

• Dude, I don't know hot to blend in. I'm always lookin like a hobo :'(

• This would be useful if I'm in Chicago huh?

• This is right on except for the eye contact. That's a challenge to fight or sexual invitation where I'm from:(

• RULE #11 If you see someone walk up to you with a camera OR cameras out. PUT YOUR GUARDS UP (fighting guard) BECAUSE something dumb about to happen to you. So hey gear up/prepare yourself for it ^^ LOL

• I'll remember that! No one wants to be clowned in someone else's YouTube video and then it goes viral. Then everyone you know asks you why you were in that neighborhood to begin with and think you have a crack problem now or something.

• sorry I'm abit late on here... great take mistninja! on both.. very colourful literally and visually... yeah sort of brings the message to the forefront... I live in a very trusting community so we talk to everyone and anyone here in my home town and they all talk back even the tourists... but yes its important to remember where you are and who is around you when you travel to unknown territory... thanks for reminding me... :)

• Spot on
    I don't think it could've been said any better

• More like, "10 rules to survive on the street!"

• This ain't being street smart. It's called COMMON SENSE

• AGREED LOLwhich most people lack

RULE #11 If you see someone walk up to you with a camera OR cameras out. PUT YOUR GUARDS UP (fighting guard) BECAUSE something dumb about to happen to you. So hey gear up/prepare yourself for it ^^

• We'll I live in a not so safe neighborhood.

• Damn I don't think I can do #7 and I think #10 well the ignoring section should be done even when alone

Thanks ^^

• Yeah it's always best to just ignore them anyway ^^

• Good take dude 👍

• Lmao!!! World star hiphop!!

• Do these same rules apply if you are female? Are there any more rules if you are female? What if you are a female and alone at night?

• Oh, if you're a female the same rules apply. Stay out in the open, never follow anyone to any strange places. Travel in packs, If some girls try to talk crap to you ignore them and keep it pushing.

When ti comes to y'all clothing it's better to be dressed casually/normal when compared to slutty because we both know that, that is just bringing attention to yourself etc

• Has this actually happened to you or you have seen it before?

• FUCK NAW IT HAPPEN ME LIOKLOL SHIDDDDD I'd be damn if a nigga gone get some "WSHH" fame off of me

IF HE DOES he's going to earn it lolol

What Guys Said 15

• As obvious as these rules may seem, it's surprising how many people don't follow them.
    I follow the 10th rule like a commandment. I've gotten called names plenty of times, but I never turned around, I just stood tall, confident and kept on walking, as a result, I've never gotten jumped and actually have never been in a fight.
    People say "but they're disrespecting you, you should say something!", fuck that, I have more respect for myself, enough to not say something to some jerks, and enough to not get myself into a weird situation. Those people are just looking for the smallest reaction of you, to start a fight; they're getting no reaction from me.

Good Take.

• LOL This would be MHO if possible/Agreed #Smartmove

• My phone doesn't work so its replaced with a knife. You also forgot if they push you, you knock them out, at least that what my master Philip Caldwell who grew up on the hoods says and I agree with him.

• LOL Why though?

• They like my pipe lol.

• Wow why I am so late to read this. It's a great take. I'm smarter now.

One thing is missing :-

• LOL AT #4

If a girl doesn't want to get rape, or at least doesn't want to get bad attention she shouldn't wear slutty clothes. Hypocrites evrywhere dooooooooooood

• Great job Mist!!! This is so true on the streets

It was called "Mist's 10 rules to be street smarts" But then they changed it #randomtruefact

Thanks ^_^

• Nailed it. Couldn't have written this better. And you would be surprised how many people really need to read this. I had a few suburban friends who were looking like victims if I wasn't with them. Really couldn't get the "not everyone is trying to be your friend" part. Smile at them and they were cooked, haha.

• Agreed and that's how most of my friends were also >< ^_^ -_- LOL.

Mean to post that also

• How to survive in the streets and the village. Nice my take man!!!

• Im with you on the colour clothes part the wrong soccer shirt will make you a goner with sour rivals

• Rule #12

Stay out of the cities! Gangs have a harder time traversing the mountains and forests! :)

• You're about to be a star (in the bad way) on WORLDSTARHIPHOP!!!

• Thanks for share

Thanks ^^

• Good take your right with that eye contact thing im from DC so trust me ik about being street smart

LOL I'M SURE YOU KNOW THAT ALSO THEN RIGHT? (#^ ^#)

• I feel ya and that's another reason why i mob solo = less attention BUT I guess higher chance of something dumb happening ^^

• Yea thats true they feel like u out numbered

• I looked at the pic with PBR in the background

• I'm glad I usually wear black/blue shirts for rule #3 Lol These are useful set of rules, I will toss my tantric sex notes to include these now :D

• My dude you should have a blog man. Some of this stuff is life or death where we're from. People just gotta know that they're always being sized up.

• "Rule#7 Let you body speak for you.
    When you're walking past someone 90% of the time you're going to lock eyes with them, The worst thing that you can do is "INSTANTLY LOOK AWAY" ."

The other person always looks away first lol