The 6 main reasons you should adopt, not shop, for a pet

This is Leeroy

The 6 main reasons you should adopt, not shop, for a pet.

As some of you know, he passed away suddenly about a month ago. I was, and still am, devastated by the loss. I could never hope to replace Leeroy, but I needed a new dog in my life, as being without one was just…too weird for me. That being said, I’d like to happily introduce Karl Barx. I adopted this pup today at my local city shelter. (sorry for the lack of happy pics, he can't come home until Friday when he is fixed)

I have done A LOT of research into where I should go to get my new addition, and I thought I should share some of the knowledge I picked up along the way as to why you should adopt a pet, particularly from city or county animal shelters.

1) You’re saving a life: This is the most obvious reason. Many times animal shelters, particularly those run by the government, have to put animals down due to lack of space. It’s a sad truth, but that’s reality.

2) All have been tested for health and behavioral problems: I understand that many dogs who are put down for failing behavioral and health tests could be trained or nursed back to health. I also understand that I am just not the person to do that. I don’t have a lot of money or time, and I really commend people who can and do allocate their resources to help these animals, but I don’t have the ability

3) Many non-profits/rescues are really just puppy mills that don’t pay taxes: This one was the biggest surprise to me. I don’t want to rain on the parade of great organizations and volunteers who tirelessly care for abandoned or abused animals, but many of these “shelters” are just trying to get a quick buck. They’ll charge a ridiculous amount of money for a dog, often times charging more or less for certain breeds. This was a huge red flag to me, I don’t understand why a Golden Retriever should cost twice as much as a Pitbull, and I refuse to support this notion by going there. (I won’t even get into actual breeders and why they’re horrible right now or you’ll be reading a novel…just know they’re despicable)

4) There’s a HUGE variety to choose from, and you have every right to request a meet and greet: Depending on where you live, your local pound can have HUNDREDS of animals to choose from. I live in a city, and the county shelter I looked at had almost 500 animals (cats and dogs). It was a little rough to not take 50 of them home, but I’m a big believer in compatibility. Every dog has an owner out there that will suit them, and many times that’s not me…even if they’re adorable.

5) It’s a great place to get a young dog, that’s not a tiny puppy: Initially this may sound like a con. Who doesn’t want a puppy, right? I’ll tell you who doesn’t want a little baby puppy…me. I love puppies; they’re adorable and sweet and fun…they’re also a time suck. Karl is 9 months old so he is still a puppy, but he’s housebroken and old enough to be neutered and have all of his shots done. I’m starting law school this fall and it would have been unfair to all parties involved for me to get a new puppy. Instead I got an old puppy that’s young enough to be playful and to in essence spend their whole life with me, but he has a head start on some training.

6) It saves A LOT of money: The average “non-profit” will charge you anywhere from $200-$500 for a dog. The average breeder can charge thousands of dollars for a particular breed. Dogs are priceless, but my budget is not limitless. The average cost at a county or city shelter was from $75-$120 for a dog and it included: Spay/neuter, microchip, all shots, heartworm tests, deworming (if the dog is old enough), license, and a leash/collar. Many local shelters will also run specials for certain months. For example, the shelter where I ended up adopting my dog adopted all dogs for only $14 the month of February , and it included all aforementioned things. For Karl, his adoption with all vet stuff AND his training classes all put together will be less than I would have paid at a rescue.

If you’re on the market for a new pet, and you’re interested in finding a shelter near you, I recommend using PetHarbor. It’s a really easy way to find local shelters. Anything that says “___ city/county” is the kind of shelter I went to. Another easy way is to google “[your city] animal control”

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 10

• Awesome Take. Like, seriously, one of my favorites. There are just way too many amazing reasons to adopt, and you outlined them perfectly.

Leeroy was lucky in life, Karl Barx (that name!) will be too, and you're a big part of that. Congrats Commie. :)

• Nice take. I am thinking about getting a little pal to take care of when I move out hopefully at the end of the year

• Well if you are able to I really suggest adopting. It's not the type of thing someone regrets, haha.

• Yeah I'll consider it. I do like to do something good once in a while lo

• Great stuff, Commie D👍 RIP LeeRoy, a life that I'm sure was well-lived with the most loving owner a dog could hope for! And viva Karl Barx! Barkers of the world, unite!✊

• Totally agree! Dogs are awesome in every way, they'll stay loyal to you to the very end. One time I took a dog to the shelter; regretted it ever since because I felt like I was sending him to his death.

• Also, mixed breed dogs normally have far less health issues than purebred dogs, due to a greater variation of genetics. But I'd say a good 70% of dog owners either go to breeders or breed their own dogs. It's sad.

• We can't choose our parents or our children, but we can choose our dogs and a dog can be a big part of the family. So why not choose wisely?

When I get a dog I research both parents thoroughly and make sure I know their medical history and their personalities. You can't do that when you adopt.

• Hope Karl Barx will help to compassionate over the loss of Leeroy. ^_^

I didn't adopted any pet because I can't get over the pain of their loss but I do feed so many street dogs everyday.

• Very well said. May Karl Barx teach you all about dialectic caninism.

• Karl Barx! HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Also, purebred dogs are crap and riddled with genetic disease. I fully support this MyTake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCv10_WvGxo

The Purebred Paradox
    www.humanesociety.org/.../...purebred_paradox.html

Although Purebred Dogs Can Be Best in Show, Are They Worst in Health?
    www.scientificamerican.com/.../

Purebred Dog Genetics: What A Veterinarian Thinks About America's Single Breed Obsession
    www.huffingtonpost.com/.../...arian_n_1613049.html

Problems Common to Purebred Dogs
    www.petmd.com/.../evr_dg_purebred_dogs_complications

• I'm not against purebreds, but people need to get over the hifalutin notion that they're better dogs. Lol

• Agreed. I just don't see the point in inbreeding dogs. It only hurts them :(

• Aww well im sorry about Leeroy, but happy about your new dog!

And i agree more people oughtta adopt from a shelter more often, its cost effective, and overall a good moral decision.

All the cats my family got however were given to us from someone else. so they more than likely would have gone to a shelter had we not taken them in.

• Leeroy was not from a shelter either, my best friend and I found homes for a whole litter of puppies and I kept him, the runt, because he needed to be bottle fed for a while and stuff. So I get that, they would have gone to a shelter too if their owner had decided not to shoot them (which is what they threatened)

What Girls Said 1

• Yay I love this take, I want adopt as well! :D When? I don't know but when I get a new pup I will be from a shelter for sure!!!

• When the time comes if you need any help with anything let me know! Since we're from the same town I even know where you should go :P

• Thanks :D I sure will. and yeah sad thing is LOTS if dog are turned from home pets to strays over night daily :'( Again thanks when I need some advice and more help I will definitely come to you. :D