Living in the Age of Technology

So, I think most people can agree that our modern era seems to be the "age of technology." There are new ideas, innovations, and inventions being introduced to society every year, increasing our use of technology.

Living in the Age of Technology

This morning I was sitting in class, and my professor asked us a question to consider and share our opinions about. My major is social work, so essentially, it's all about therapy, counseling, and meeting with people to discuss the issues and problems they are facing in their lives. Naturally, you could assume that this is something that must be done face-to-face in order to build trust with the client, assess body language, and be able to adequately communicate with them about the issues they are having. Recently though, there has been some major controversy in the field regarding if therapy sessions and meetings with clients should be done more using technology rather than meeting face-to-face. This would include things such as Skype, phone calls, instant messaging, etc. in order to perform therapy sessions in a long-distance way.

Anyway, my point is, this got me thinking about the negative and the positive effects that technology can bring to our daily lives. So, here are some of the aspects I thought of in regards to this topic.

Positive Aspects of Technology:

1. Being able to constantly communicate with others. It can be nice to just pick up the phone and call someone or send a quick text in order to communicate with other people.

2. Technology such as the internet gives easy access to information for anyone. If I have a question, I can go to google and find tons of websites full of information that could answer any questions I have. Even using GirlsAskGuys as an example, this makes it so easy to express ourselves and help other people we don't even know. Some people have questions that they may not be comfortable asking their friends or family, the internet makes it easy to get answers to those questions. We can share information with people in totally different countries just in a matter of seconds.

3. Modern medicine is an incredible thing. I classify this as part of "technology." Simple illnesses that used to be fatal can now be prevented more easily and treated more effectively. The science of medicine has come a very long way and it is only continuing to progress as more and more research is being conducted in various medical fields.

4. Travel convenience. Technology has made it easier than ever to travel long distances in a relatively short amount of time. Cars, trains, planes, etc. all work to transport not only people, but various products as well to different parts of the world.

5. Increased way of life, technology has contributed to basic things that many people may take for granted such as running water, electric lights, and flushing toilets. These are all ways that technology has incredibly benefitted us.

Negative Aspects of Technology

1. Dependency. So many people are so reliant on technology that they "forget" how to do things and how to live without it. I have met a lot of people who can barely function without their cell phone glued to their side.

2. Loss of social interaction skills. Of course, this obviously doesn't apply to everyone but I've met some people who have absolutely no idea how to interact with people in person, rather than through technology. They seem "normal" when I speak to them through text or when I see them post on social media, but when I see them in person, they seem to have no social interaction skills at all.

3. Job loss. In our modern world, various methods of technology are quickly replacing human workers.

4. Decreased competency. This could fall under "dependency" but looking at it in a different way, how many people can perform math in their heads without the use of a calculator? I'm sure plenty can but a lot of people need a calculator just to do basic mathematical functions. Another example is the use of spell check. People rely on these things a lot in our society, and in some ways, you could say that this technology has made some people lazy.

5. Distraction. This is probably one of the biggest "cons" of the use of technology. Distracted driving seems to be one of the leading causes of accidents. I know so many people who text and drive or make phone calls when they're driving. It can be quite dangerous.

Overall, technology in and of itself is not "good" or "bad." I think it just depends on how people use it. So tell me, what are your thoughts on technology and it's place in our modern society?

xHoneyxBeex is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 18

• Good take - The only thing I would add is the older you are obviously the lower level of technology you would have started with - My example is I started work in 1992, I can now do a week's work from 1992 in a couple of seconds now - Information gathering in college to find one fact may have entailed a trip to the library and the loss of a few hours - I sometimes see it in social contact questions on GaG when I was a teen I might be only seen friends once a week and that was really our only point of contact.
    As you say in your piece they are cons - I am not a techie but have reaped the benefits but if I had to go back to work in 1992 or write a college essay circa 1990 I would just cry no two ways about it.
    On the contact side even on here you can see people who would struggle in real life have a voice, they didn't have that opportunity when I was in school - The quiet did suffer not maliciously just through shyness.

• I personally find it foolish that there are people that REFUSE to use modern technology due to some "making a statement" bullshit.

Technology is awesome, and makes our lives easier. Use it. In moderation, of course.

But the "moderation" enlies the hard part. It is so easy to get addicted to your phone. I never have been, but I understand those who are.

Texting, phone calls, video chat, IM chat (infinite mediums to do this), Facebook feeds, Twitter feeds, music, Twitter trends, GaG, Tumblr profiles, news, YouTube (damn that's a big one), Snapchat stories... and of course games!

It's VERY easy to spend your entire day doing mindless shit. Gotta be careful. :-P

• I like technology, mostly because of how you can interact with others with whom you would not be capable of without it. I have friends in Canada, that wouldn't have happened without the internet.

Also, this way, people can be exposed to more information. Hopefully when people encounter enough counterarguments against religions for example, they will start to think about it, rather than just mindlessly follow their peer groups who never bothered to question anything.

As for therapy, it depends on the patient. If they are more comfortable writing down their thoughts to someone they can see, then it can be useful, but nonverbal communication is lost.

• Technology makes people vulnerable, wewk they become so reliant on it that if it is taken away. They wouldn't know what to do with themselves and they rely on it so much that people lose the ability to actually survive in the wild in nature. Which is were we belong out there.

• Technology is necessary and helps a lot. Like you said, in other words, if used with moderation and for the right things, it only benefits us all.

• I want to write about tecnology, its advantage and disadvantage. But my English is not enoug, I am sorry. You had written abut that very well.

• I tend to agree with Einstein's view of technology. Obviously I'm using it now, and it's impossible to escape, but I feel it is wholly unnecessary to be totally integrated into my life.

• The World is increasingly wide webbed. Technology use depends on the user as u say

• Good take.

I recently moved, and didn't have internet access at home initially (have no smartphone either). Those were some of the best days of my life.

My thinking seemed to relax to a healthier pace, and also grow deeper, and life just felt more meaningful. I was happier.

• I got one, the insecure suddenly get more insecure in relationships because they think our smart phones is like a holy grail of just picking up men or women. It's like damn... That's not what everyone uses phones for. I can't look up who's winning the game? Or when a movie comes out that I want to watch?

• Yeah, that's a very good point. I see that happen a lot also.

• Yeah. If she didn't trust you then, as harsh as it sounds, thats her problem. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to prove your loyalty to someone.

• You're right, I mean I could move on knowing that I didn't do anything wrong in this relationship and tried my best.

• Nice take. You forgot one thing though... the effects of p*rn on modern day america

• technology is human. i don't get why people fear it.

• Technology is definitely much more good than bad that's what I think.

• To add something: (I know it's a vast topic but I'll mention basic things)

Positives:
    #5. Not just flushing toilets, but look at even more basic things like the zip of our pants. It IS technology. How convenient it is now to access toilet!
    #6. Security
    #7. Agriculture
    #8. Future planning & Revelation of natural secrets.
    #9. Enhanced Entertainment.
    #10. Increased live expectancy and convenience of poor.

Negatives:
    #1. Deteriorated patience, anxiety, hysteria.
    #4. Elevated exasperation, Declining writing skills
    #6. Environmental threats
    #7. Over Population
    #8. Nuclear Weapons
    #9. Dependency on P-videos and gaming.
    #10. New possibilities to fraud, steal, stalk and bully.

bernardgoldberg.com/.../Albert-Einstein-Quote.jpg

Good Work! :-)

• There is always technology. Every age is one of technology. One time ago the wheel was a new invention, so was the lightbulb. Soon phones will be old too and not considered technology I guess?
    Still a good take though :)

• Valid point, technology is ever changing. Thanks :)

• Man, who are you? I want to give you a hug for that awesome point ^_^

• Who me? Just your regular everyday superhero

• So agree on your point no.5- distraction. I feel like it's really hindering my performance in college which is weird cause it used to be not the case at all..

• Yeah, I see a lot of people in my classes texting and using their phones rather than paying attention to the lecture. Sometimes during tests I even hear people's phones going off, it's definitely distracting.

• Interesting take, I really feel the benifts out weigh the negatives, but I feel we are too dependent and I know it is hard to socialize in person.

• Yeah, I think the pro's outweigh the con's too.

• Well keep in mind, I'm still in school. Lol I'm not a professional (yet). In my classes, we've only touched on addictions, like, working with people with drug addictions and alcohol dependency. I suppose technology addiction could work the same way. In most cases, working with clients suffering from addictions involves group therapy and teaching people how to live, cope, and function without their "drug."

• Okay I was just curious what you thought and what opinions you had.

• 0|1
    • LOL take off the anonymous mask!

• >< running away like the mangy mutt that I am

• hahaha! Bye ninja! :)

What Girls Said 4

• I definitely agree that it's all about how you use it. Some people depend on technology wayyy too much. Good take Honey!

• the pros and cons are accurate, but you fail to include the solutions to the cons, job loss and increased incompetency for example, it can be easily rectified if they start to learn things that are beneficial to the current state of industry

like nowadays its nearly impossible to get anywhere if you dont have basic knowledge of how to use a computer, but it isn't the business's fault for modernizing their system, companies that dont keep up get left behind, so they have to have employees that can keep up with the times

it is an undeniable reality of the world but its not all that bad, just keep up and keep learning :P

• Albert einstein was scared this would happen look it up.

• Technology is evolutionary and we can't stop it at all. It's just going to keep building and building, although it takes up quite the amount of energy to create more highly advanced stuff so until they find a big enough energy source than we won't be seeing any hovering cars soon... if they don't exist already :/

As much as I love the internet and all things technology, it has taken us away from using our brains. We are so reliant on our devices that the first thing we think of when trying to find out something is searching it up on Google. How are we supposed to learn by just 'googling' everything?

Awesome Take 👍 More people need to be educated with the pro's and con's of technology. Mostly the con's.