Tips on Finding Happiness

Unhappy and unsure after a terrible ordeal? Are you making poor decisions only to ask yourself or others what to do about how to feel or what you've done?

Why not start with something extremely easy, which is just making yourself happy - because really, it's not that hard. If someone has let you down, be your own hero to pick yourself up. If you have done something you're not proud of, forgive yourself by being nice to yourself. Believe me, what I'm saying comes from a lot of experience, as I too have had my fill of bad moments and bad periods of my life that I desperately wanted to get out of and felt I didn't have a lot of hope.

The first trick is to be your own best friend. And if this seems alien to you, you should check it out.

1. Make yourself a nice meal complete with fancy serviettes and a special plate and cutlery as if you're dining out. Sit at the table, and be in the moment.

2. Whip up a tasty hot drink such as spiked hot chocolate. Some recipes here!

3. Learn a new (solitary?) card game, and play with REAL cards. Shuffle them, lay them out, enjoy doing something real rather than finding a game online.

4. Use your phone or camera to take some interesting pictures around your home or your city, then make an album of your favourites. Treasure the place you already live in.

5. Buy a journal or make one! Each day, write about the good things that happened to you that day. Make a point of going for five every day, and don't duplicate!

6. Alongside journaling, keep a dream journal. Embrace your dreams each morning when you wake up and document them in a separate journal. Each day this gets easier to remember dreams and even have fun with what you write.

7. Research one thing you didn't know about, such as sumo wrestling, gold panning, aromatherapy, just something out in left field that you might have passed over as an interest and study it. Get involved. Join a group online who knows about it or better yet a group from Meetup.com to get together face to face.

8. Read (a real book) about what has been depressing you lately, such as a breakup or death of a loved one. Come to terms with why it's been affecting you and how to move forward. (In my case years ago it was why I felt bad about being childless, and reading about how it really wasn't so bad.)

9. Put on music that you listened to when you were nine years old. What was your favourite band then? (Mine was ABBA.) Make a playlist of songs that used to soothe you and play it quietly at night when you go to sleep.

10. Learn something about your ancestry and create or buy something to wear such as a shirt, pin to show your identity. Be proud of who you are and where your roots stem from.

11. Make a hot bath complete with all the blitz - bubbles, oils, special soaps, light candles, play music that soothes you. Feel warm and safe and breathe in all that delicious aroma.

Tips on Finding Happiness

12. Buy a ukulele and learn how to play it. Seriously - it's the easiest instrument ever to learn how to play, easy to find, and starter ones cost about $20-$30US. (I eventually went from that to buying a Fender, I just became that interested!)

13. Buy a goldfish. Give it the nicest home. (It's fate would have otherwise been some irresponsible 5 year-old.)

14. Can't cook? Learn how to make something. Already do? Make something you haven't before with ingredients you never knew how to use.

15. Grow your own herbs and learn how to dry them and use them in the new dishes you're going to learn to make.

16. After having a hot shower, before getting out, run only cold water on just your feet.

17. Make personalized business cards. If this is something you can afford, just make a card with your name and phone number and email - not your business. Even if you don't work, having a personal card to give out can give you confidence (plus they're handy to just pass out on a moment's notice in case you meet a guy/girl!) Try Staples Copy Centre

18. Learn a new language, or try and master some phrases.

19. Learn tai-chi (ladies: belly dancing?) Even if a class isn't available, search YouTube or buy a DvD for private instruction. Download some ethnic music to go with your private class. Watch yourself in the mirror. Going through the motions is actually very sexy.

20. Do some abstract sketching. You can't do it wrong. If you start getting good at it, start using colour and frame what you're creating and hang it on the wall. Your art may even tell a story of what you're going through.

21. Consider a hairstyle change. Always wear it short?--try growing it out. Have it long, try cutting some of it off. Don't have bangs?--cut them in. Have bangs, cut them out. Girls: use a kerchief or headband during the pesky growing out stage until it's where you want. Changing your look, especially with your hair can make you feel like a whole different person.

22. Feed the squirrels. They love grapes! Go to your nearest park or outdoorsy spot and enjoy small animals relying on you for a snack.

23. Make your own jewelry. Try your local hobby shop for stones, beads, and jumprings, and/or take scraps of old jewelry you no longer wear and make a bracelet or necklace.

24. Donate your old clothes, DvDs, books to your nearest homeless shelter. You're cleaning out the past while others can benefit. Find out if they can use volunteers, and if so, schedule some time in the month to help in a soup kitchen.

25. Set up a potted lavender plant next to your window to enjoy when the breeze comes in.

Ozanne is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 9

• There are only two ways to get happiness
    1) with material things
    2) without material things

For material things, you have to earn money and buy happiness
    Without material things you need to do meditation

Life is so simple silly, don't make it complicated..
    Sprite... clear he...

• And now some real s**t:
    Stop being social conditioned and know that everything is allowed. So do what you feel even it's crazy from some groups way of thinking. Always follow your dreams, your wishes. Surround yourself with happy, successful and good people... they will push you up and remove people that are useless or bad for your life. Stop thinking about bad things and try to find the good sides of life/people. Bad thinking or good thinking become a habbit and it dictates your decisions, your life, so be carefull not to ruin it! Read useful books that can chnage your life - they will condense years of experience in a couple of days and will prepare your for situations that come. Go for things you want... will be extremely hard, but pain period shapes the champions and brings real happyness. So this is the real recipe for a long-term happyness.

Everything is possible... just seek the information on how to do it, and go for it. We have all the information available today for everything, so use it. That's why we have things that we miss, because we do nothing to get them. Effot pays all the time and makes you stronger. Hope I opened your eyes.

• Happiness is a funny video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e94BpVm2ak

Go to 0:20 for the funny part.

• I do most of that already. :)

• A person will never be completely satisfied unless they have God.

• This:

'enjoy small animals relying on you for a snack'

• All worthy ideas to temporarily relieve your frustration with satisfying the deepest human desire - happiness.

There is but one solution- truth. Seek truth above all else. Truth came to earth in the first century in human form.

"Thee; for Thou hast formed us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in Thee?"

• I kept a dream journal for years. It's a source of fascination for me.

• Thanks for helping some people.

What Girls Said 13

• My parents gave me an old, yet good camera and I've been going out during the hot spring weather, taking pictures of the flowers that are growing in our gardens. It's making me appreciate the beauty around me that myself and my family have mainly overlooked. It's nice to see the beautiful pictures I can take. :)

• i like the music and bubble bath ♡

• I love this it's so true and I love that picture.

• Thank you for this! :)

• Get a massage. They're the best.

• Human body is God's temple. We have to respect it. And humans are free to choose their life. It's in our hands to choose who we are and what we do. So it makes sense to do things that make us happy. Sometimes we do bad things. We have to forgive ourselves, since even God forgives us. We have to learn from what we did and become better people. Sometimes bad things happen, that are out of our control. Bad things happen so that we can get out of them and be stronger and more faithful

• These are just things you did, but they aren't things that others will necessarily enjoy. To make ones self truly happy, you have to confront and deal with what causes you to feel bad, in any and all areas of their life. Otherwise the somewhat enjoyable activities won't prolong happiness, just contentness. A truly happy person has the ability to find joy in every circumstance, and if your feelings or experiences aren't dealt with and explored, then the core cause of the negative feelings will remain un-dealt with, and happiness can't be obtained.

• I loved that! Playing with real cards is so much better than using virtual ones. I keep a journal and write about my day and my dreams :). Great list! I'm curious as to why running cold water on just your feet is on here? Can you explain :)

• Belly dancing is really fun! I've been doing it since I was younger. It is really great for losing weight and also if you're one of those girls who don't feel very sexy. It'll make you feel more sexy.

• I like quite a bit of these! I do them anyways, like learning new recipes, sketching, genealogy, reading a real book, and exploring new areas/taking pictures. But if I am feeling down, I think I'll try tai chi, I would like to better myself. Thanks for your take/list! :)

• I did change my hair. It did make me feel better. I didn't quite understand the hot shower/cold water on feet though?
    I think you can only do so many things until something hits you again or makes you feel your lowest again. Then you're right back in the same boat. Thanks for these tips though.

• I do a lot of these things for myself but when it boils down to it, as soon as you're feeling unhappy and low because of an outside force, it doesn't matter.

Doing these things won't magically make you happy again, you have to face your problems and find solutions. These are all temporary in the moment solutions, you'll get slapped with reality time and time again when you're done with each "activity" until you've fixed the root problem.

• I like the dream journal idea, I've heard of people doing it before but I've never tried it myself

• It's quite fun. I still do it, and my dreams ended up being hilarious to look back on. :)