Millennials and Prolonged Childhood

Millennials and Prolonged ChildhoodIf you're like myself, you're from the generation of "millennials", and anybody who was born from 1981-1997 is a part of the "millennial" generation. We're the children of Baby Boomers or Generation X'ers. Our generation is a new breed of excitement, horror and DEBT. Yes, you heard right. Our generation is so much in DEBT that we're forced to prolonge our childhood and stay with mommy and daddy longer then many of us intended.

Why do so many Millennials live at home?

According to the 2014 Census Bureau, 30.3% of people aged 18-34 are still living with a parent(s). Compared to the 1980 Census Bureau, where 22.9% of people aged 18-34 were living at home. While, not too long ago, in 2000, only 23.2 percent of people aged 18-34 lived at home. We are at an all time high with adults who live at home. While many deem to claim to be saving, most millennials are in-debt and don't seem to have the money and/or resources to even afford rent, let alone a mortgage.

Millennials in the Workplace

The average millennial knows that having a college education eg. College degree is very lucritive in today's society. According to the Economic Policy Institute, its reported that roughly 8.5 percent of college graduates between the ages of 21 and 24 were unemployed. In comparison, the unemployment rate for all college grads over the age of 25 is 3.3 percent, which is still higher then normal. Many millennials are settling for what they can get, whether it be a retail position or a desk jockey job making peanuts to gain experience that will allow them to start a career in their feild of study.

"A college degree is no guarantee for a high income".

Going to college doesn't guarantee that you won't have to work as hard as your old man at the local fish market. In fact, all it means is that you put in 4 or more years of blood, sweat and tears of pointless academia that doesn't really prepare you for a career or on the job experience, it simply allows you to pass a state required test and have a peice of paper that said you completed a degree program. A peice of paper with no experience is worse than no peice of paper and years of experience. Experience is the golden ticket!

Truth is, many college grads are working minimum wage jobs. The number of college graduates working minimum wage jobs is nearly 71 percent higher than it was a decade ago, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics' latest figures. Scary enough? Imagine having college debt of over 50K and a $8.00 an hour job at the local grocery store? Sounds like the reality for many of today's college graduates.

Marriage, children, a home? Get real!

Many millennials have this attitude. Marriage is starting to become a thing of the past, and done much later in life. It has its benefits. On average, many marraiges lasts the later you have them. Is it because we have no clue of a meaningful committed relationship? Maybe. Truth is, we just don't have a clue. Our generation is too busy wasting thousands and years of schooling, partying and sex. Yes, I said it! We're all about self. While the average age for an American woman to have her first child is 25.4, most young adults (20-somethings) don't have the financial resources to raise a child at this point in their lives. Mortgage? Ahhh, where do I start? I'd be lucky to afford a 1 bedroom condo. I cannot began to describe how lucky these 20-somethings are to afford a mortgage or who have a "Daddy Warbucks" banking on them while they complete graduate school. It's becoming a thing of the past to buy first home by 23 or 24, for the most part, many of us are bunking with friends or living in our "mamma's basement".

So, is it prolonged childhood?

Truth is, most young adults want to break away from the nest. We don't want to think that we're stuck with parents until we're 30, and we certainly don't plan to stay at home for so long. It's the circumstances that we live under in today's society. Living comfortably on a 50K a year salary for a family of four is nonexistent these days and times, depending on where you live. Having a high school diploma alone won't cut it and you're put on the same level as someone who had a 3rd grade education from 1940. Its the harsh reality of the times. We must as a group of young individuals strive for a higher sense of goals. Don't settle for less, but also be aware that everyone simply CAN'T be on top. Go into a field that you see yourself doing for the next 50 or so years. Have a plan to start saving. Community college is a very ecomical choice for many young adults who came from middle/working class families. I certainly don't regret my A.A. that was completely free of cost for me. I go to a pretty decent University with a great program that works for me and graduate in 30 days :-)

I'm not denying that many young adults today are lazy and feel that they don't need to "grow up". Many having "Peter Pan Syndome", the idea of growing up in today's society can be detrimental and scary to some, but its not fun to be a 60 year old child either.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 22

• Well you cannot get a house of your own unless you get yourself knee-deep in debt. Of course people aren't that eager to leave as soon as possible. It is easier for me to rent a place than to buy one, cheaper for me on the short and long run. Kinda weird, isn't it. The only thing houses are good for is giving them out for rent...

• Unfortunately the economic opportunities for young workers just aren't there these days. It's better than it was back in 2008, but still lower than they should be.

The idea of living on your own with no roommates, in your 20s, is near impossible.

Keep in mind that the above mantra is an American thing.

----------

Other nations around the world have adult children living with their parents and it's not a big deal.

This stigma of "move out in your 20s and live on your own" is such an outdated American mindset, in today's economic climate here.

That's why I don't stress out about being able to live 100% on my own yet with no roommates after college.

#ThingOfThePast

• I agree with everything, except for the partying and sex. Actually, if you were to look at more statistics (which you already posted), we're the most sober and least sexually active generation in U. S. history. We're too wrapped up into technology.

Other than that, this was a good take.

• I agree haha. It just seems that we're sexual but I know what you mean, we have other things to comfort us.

• I wish the women in our generation were more sexual actually. It's also hard to get laid as a man in this generation lol.

• Women are very sexual around here. They just play shy too much. Then you don't want someone who's too sexual, she may just be a wild goose lol.

• I have my own place...

• Don't judge, I'm taking a gap decade.

• This was quite an informative and sobering article. Yes I have witnessed the opportunities lost to our kids today.
    One theme that wasn't mentioned was the impact that globalization has had on the American economy. Many of the jobs that were exclusive to the U. S. have been exported overseas. This is true particularly to manufacturing jobs. Design it here but build it elsewhere. Even engineering work at my former firm has been shipped to countries like India. There are reasons for this beyond cost savings. (Some foreign countries will demand to be given some of the design tasks if the U. S. based firm wants to land a contract overseas.)

But back to the millennial's dire straits. A possible solution would mean making structural changes. If you look back at what life was like many generations ago, families lived with their parents and grandparents. It was done for both convenience, necessity, and cultural purposes.

One proposal is for those who are struggling with their careers is to STAY at home. Pay an agreed to stipend for monthly expenses to your parents instead of moving out and making steep rent payments. Try as best to bankroll your earnings for a future property; whether a condo, town home, or home. (While living at home make peace with mom and dad. Explain to them that you are an adult and don't need to be home by 11 p. m.) Remember also that it is their house and they may still be getting up in th morning to go to work so keep it quiet if you're late coming in.

There is so much more I would like to add, but my space is running low. Do not fret. A college degree may not always guarantee a high paying job, but statistics show it makes a significant difference over a lifetime. My mother (97) always told me: "What you put into your head no one can take away". Yes experience is also vital, but put yourselves out there on LinkedIn, and make 'connections'. Be prepared to relocate if the offer looks good.

They only time you fail is when you stop trying!

• Wow thanks so much for that! I love when people add to it and I learned so much. I wish I would have mentioned the jobs going overseas. Also, I agree with your mother ;-)

• I would like to hear the "so much more" you have to say. Do you think you could maybe write a myTake for us?

• Wish I were born earlier or later :(

• Wish I was born earlier. To me, past generations had it made for them. All they needed to be was somewhat ambitious. I feel my grandmothers generation had so many more opportunities and then my mothers generation can at least retire.

• I think situation will get in under control in future. Otherwise, we can't progress. They'll learn from our mistakes.

• I hope so.

• The opposite is actually true.

We may have a prolonged state of childhood in the financial and cultural sense, but we actually have biologically shorter childhoods than our ancestors did, and the children born after us have even shorter ones.

The ages of breast development and first menses are getting lower, and kids are getting taller, heavier, and undergoing puberty at earlier ages than in the past.

Furthermore, both men and women are getting much higher rates of myopia and baldness/receding hairlines at much earlier ages.

Maybe we're culturally clinging to childhood because we never got to experience as much of it as our ancestors?

• We as a generation are screwed because our parents are still sitting on all the wealth - the gap between young and old is ridiculous.

• 3|0
  • I like the take for the most part, but I disagree with your opinion on college education. College education doesn't guarantee a decent salary job, but the average pay is obviously going to be higher.

Also, the chart you found/made that shows the growth of college grads in minimum wage jobs fails to account for population growth and proportion to the overall population.

The rest of the take is totally true though. One of the biggest problems young people face right now is the rising cost of college tuition. My father happened to pay for mine, which put me in a pretty good place in life, but it needs to be made affordable for the rest of the young population.

Also, there is a large part of the population that seems to have this attitude that if they do nothing in life, the government will give them enough welfare and food stamps and blah blah blah that they will never really have to get a job or contribute anything to society.

Then there are still others that feel so entitled to everything. The moment they get into an argument with their boss at work, they just throw everything down and quit on the spot. The reason being of course: "I don't have to take this ****. I'm too good for this place anyway."

Then there is the issue of money management like you described. Why worry about racking up debt when you can just declare bankruptcy and get rid of it all? Why worry about saving up for a house when the government is happy to just hand them out for free to people? Why worry 6 months from now, when I can have a new flat screen TV today?

The current problems for our generation are generally centered around those areas to me.

• I agree college education doesn't guarantee a great job. We have always been told to "go to college to get a good job". That doesn't ring true so much anymore. And the debt for students loans is excessive! It's picking the lesser of 2 evils.

• Yeah right a make the debt decline by using a.00---> multiplayer over faster time rate.

• and thats how a civilization declines you reach a zenith of materialism and its down hill from there.
    By the way great take!!

• Does it matter?

People have different needs and exoeriences.

• Well, there's no need to get defensive. All I did was state what the current situation was for our generation. Of course everyone has different needs and experiences.

• You're asking me "Does it matter?" Does it NOT matter? What's the reason for asking me if it mattered since you took the time to read it and I know it doesn't take a genius to understand what I meant by writing this take, unlike the usual Takes about relationships etc. I chose to stick with a RELEVANT issue in today's society. So to point out that people have different needs and experiences was not even necessary as I'm sure you can clearly look around and see that for yourself.

• erm... ok. so your opinion of things is all you're pushing.. got it... you posted, i responded, but then i doubt you're as smart as you purport..

• Why have all the jobs disappeared? Simple; people have been buying imported shit, instead of locally made. When you do that, you're selling out your country and it's jobs. You're selling out your future, your children's future and your neighbour's future.

You only need to send $1000 out of the country to a foreign company, and you've permanently lost a job that paid $1000 per week.
    If your neighbour earned $1000 this week, he could buy $1000 worth of your products next week, and keep you in a job.

• Good read. Have you read the book "Generation iY"?

• I thought the Millennials were going to be a truly great generation. Even with so many staying at home I though they are saving money and being smart, after all not that long ago multiple generations lived together in one house. Only the Baby Boomers really changed that with their families.

Now I see that this generation is going to have it very hard in life. They beleive that anyone can pretty much do anything which is fine but then they don't accept the consequences, which is not fine. in short this generation is naive beyond belief and will have a huge wake-up call when the economy that previous generations built falls apart amd they are like babies in the cold cruel woods of the world.

I raised kids that will succeed in a cold world, but many of my peers did not raise those types of kids. I have told my kids if the US falls apart to move elsewhere. There will be some smaller countries that want productive people with some wealth (gold and silver) to help thier country. Too many losers in the US that need to wake us but their reaction will be to blame other (rich people, white people, successful people anyone but themselves ). It is going to be messy like a third generation of wealth that can't hold onto their money because the only inherited it, not earned it... A fool and his money are soon parted...

• The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree... there's a reason why that saying is so accurate. I wouldn't go as far as to say that this generation won't succeed at all, but like many other past generations, there are some winners and some losers. Everyone can't be at the top and I too was told by my parents to move out of the U. S. and marry someone with a passport from a well-to-do country and get citizenship there. I don't think it's a matter of this generation getting a wake-up, as they're already experiencing it, it's the matter of the past generations having coddled us and disabled us from achieving our full potential instead of preparing us, they protected us.

• My kids are coming out of college with degrees that are worth something and no debt. One of my son's friends came out of school with a good degree but then turned down entry level jobs in his field because he thought $35k wasn't enough. He now cleans dog cages part time and lives at home since graduating three years ago. My soon took the entry level job and is making great money, happy, moving through the world quickly. He doesn't however want to marry as he sees the risks with divorce and since feminism is in full swing he doesn't seem ineterested. Sad but that is the state of things right now. Hopefully he will change but he will want someone that thinks more like him which seems to be the minority.

• Well that's good for them. Nice to hear good news for once.

• millennial females will get fed up with the middle class lifestyle to find a wealthy middle aged man to take care of the load.

• It's not that simple. I don't want a "sugar daddy", just a potential future mate who makes a decent living himself.

• LOL, I'm not a millennial generation, but I still live with my parents :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_R2p23yx8

• It's nothing wrong with that if it is your choice to do so. I wish it wasn't seen as socially unacceptable in my family to live with parents past a certain age. I really enjoy having to pay cheap rent and having my own room/space. I even have my own bathroom. My mom can be nagging at some times, but I would take that over a landlord and/or a bank trying to take my home any day!

• I agree 100% :D

• lol unfortuantely true what they say about the "generation x" as they call us.

• How old are you? Technically, if you are under 34, you're considered a millennial until 35 years of age.

• What is true about Gen x? At least you guys had a chance to buy homes in the late 80s-early 90s when it was still cheap. Baby boomers are actually able to retire. Our generation will be working until we're skeleton and too much of us have huge debt from college because apparently there aren't even decent jobs without some sort of degree.

• Yes you're millennial for another 4-5 years. Sorry :-D

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 9

• I live at home with my parents? My reason? Because I am from a different culture that makes moving out a huge offence, causing disownment. I pay the bills, I spoil my parents with expensive things because I love them, I paid for all of the new household appliances and helped with the mortgage and paid it off. Basically, I am just taking advantage of a roof over my head. I am sick and tired of stupid people thinking I mooch off when they haven't even spoken to me yet. Just because 99.99% of the population that liive at home mooch off their parents, there is a 00.01% such as myself that actually acts like the second breadwinner.

So get your facts straight, people. I am very much an adult. In fact, I am more of an adult than you are because I take care of my parents. You just put them in a home. Shameful.

• God bless you then. You will get your parents' good wishes here and hereafter.

• Applause 👏🏾. Get it girl! Momma raised 'em right! Lol

• You are truly a blessing to your family. Kudos to you for being the kind of child parents cherish. Your profile states "God am I lonely". I hope you meet a man who will love you and bring you happiness. You are a true gem in the world. Keep doing what your doing. A smart man will come along and see this in you and realize what a prize you are. Best Wishes! 😉

• Great read. Technology can become challenging for them. :) It's both addictive and time consuming. Their cell phones are their new friends.

• I know. Like I'm one to talk, I'm using my phone as we speak. However, it's unfortunate that people are using it instead of face-to-face communication. It's so addicting that we've become zombies to the phone companies grr... lol.

• I just think its really bad that people can only say things easily from text but not in face to face interaction because of the prolonged awkwardness lol

• It makes people more introverted rather than being more receptive.

• interesting take. i would've liked to stay in the nest longer. just couldn't stand the country. sexually frustrated due to a lack of attractive men.

• Lol I see...

• I find that quite hard to believe, considering the U. S. Is a melting pot. There are men from all over the world who dwell here. I met a guy from Austrialia and another guy from Denmark the other day. He was going to university here for journalism and the other was studying medicine. They gave me like an entire history lesson lol. So it's strange you mention that guys in America aren't attracted when indeed most "American" men are from elsewhere.

• i grew up in a a few diverse areas and i know that there are people from all over. i just said that i couldn't find a guy who i found attractive physically and otherwise.

• I was born in 2001. What am I, iGen?

• Your very fantastic and journalistic style of writing doesn't match the many spelling errors in the text.

• Well I just luckily happened to miss out on that time range by a year... You'd think it would be a good thing and yet it's only getting worse =/

I'm screwed, Oh well. Hey mom I'll be living with you until I'm middle aged =D

• My grandparents, aunts and uncles, and even my dad are always on my ass about living at home. I work full-time, about 50 hours a week in the summer and when school starts I work part-time. I pay for college out of pocket, I don't make enough money to live on my own and pay for my bills and school.

• So what do they want you to do? This generation has it harder than they did.

• Wow that's terrible for your dad! I wish people from past generations would understand. Times aren't what they used to be. People are really struggling out there. That's why I don't know why so many people get on the defense about this issue, it's one of the biggest problems facing young adults today. There's barely enough jobs for the older people, let alone us. We don't even make enough to move out! Rent is getting expensive but our salaries/hourly wage are staying the same.

• They don't get it. When they were your age you could work a min. wage job and still pay your way through College (as it was reasonably priced then). Not really possible now.

• Love it. Great read!

• I like the take I rather be forever young rather then be older

• I can't say that I disagree with you but what sounds better, being young and independent or being young and dependent? Trust me, I don't wanna get old but it happens! :-)

• It is what it is. Growing up is not an option.