8 Simple Rules to Interacting with People Online

8 Simple Rules to Interacting with People Online:

I know people are going to see this title and immediately put up defenses and think I'm telling them what to do. I want to make clear, that's not what I am doing. I've just been on this site for 3 years and I think people figure because it's online, that you don't have to have the same tact and proper etiquette that you would if the person was standing right in front of you. I don't believe that to be true. I think whether you're online or not you should always be respectful of other people and how you treat them. So, here are 8 things to consider when interacting with people online (and off).

1) Be Tactful: There's a right way to talk to someone and a wrong way. The wrong way would be "You are such a stupid moron and your opinion shows that". The right way is "You are entitled to your opinion. I don't personally agree, but that's okay." Being tactful will always be more well received than being a jerk.

2) Be Respectful: Nobody online really knows each other, so it's a little hard to earn respect when you don't know someone. That doesn't mean that you can't treat them in a respectful manner, because you don't know them and have no reason to treat someone poorly. Give respect to get respect.

3) Don't Assume: I see people on here read someone's questions, answers or takes and based upon that make assumptions about them. You can't possibly know who someone truly is by reading a couple things they wrote. So, don't make random assumptions about someone without facts to back it up. Besides, you know what they say about people who assume.

4) Everybody is different and that's okay: People need to realize that not everybody is cut from the same cloth or made the same way. So, just because someone isn't like you, doesn't mean they're wrong. It just means they're different and that's okay.

5) Grammar shouldn't matter: I get picked on a lot for my quote "bad grammar", because I misspell a couple words or don't punctuate properly. However, I do have an eye problem and so a lot of my mistakes are accidents but not because I didn't try. I try very hard, to the point of tears. So, people need to loosen up about grammar on here. I know what someone writes should makes sense, but as long as it is coherent and you can comprehend what they are asking, there's no reason to be a jerk and make them feel like a dum dum because they made a few of grammatical errors. No one's perfect.

6) What attracts one, doesn't attract another: Just yesterday I had someone one here tell me that I'm demisexal because I said I wasn't attracted to some handsome, muscle bound athletes someone wrote a take about. Just because I wasn't physically attracted to those men, doesn't mean I'm not physically attracted to men. I'm just not as easily impressed as most. So, understand that we're all attracted to something different and we're allowed to be. We all don't have to find the same things attractive, to be attracted. Again, everyone is different.

7) Don't Judge: I'm really against people judging other people, because I know what it's like and it sucks. Just like it sucks to have people tell you about yourself. To tell you what traits you have or what you like, etc etc. Especially, since they don't know you. So, don't judge people because there's no reason for it. And, don't act like you have that person all figured out and know them better then they know themselves because I can guarantee you don't.

8 ) The internet is not a parallel universe, so stop treating it like one: I understand that you may be able to get away with certain things online that you couldn't in your life. However, it's annoying when people say "in real life" because it gives off this certain naivete that you believe what happens online, can't happen in your life. That's simply not true, any kind of person you find online you can find in your life. So, it's best to be aware of all your surroundings and not just one. Besides, it's not fair to clump all people online into one catagory. Not everyone online has ill intentions, so it's unfair to say "everyone online is", because everyone online is not. Just like everyone offline can't be put into one group, neither can the people you meet online. Keep all that in mind.

Also remember

loveisbeautiful is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 13

• Honestly well written!! In some cases a real eye opener!! Everyone should read this before using this website!!

• another rule should be to keep in mind that something written makes another impression then something said... in spoken language you can say something on a way someone doesn't feel offended but in written it's different

• I think a lot of this is true thanks.

• I agree with most

• For got the number one rule: DON'T TAKE ANYTHING SERIOUSLY

• This one is your best take I guess.

• That last one is too broad. If someone is advocating Kate Hunt-style stalking and manipulation of minors, you better judge them according to the Word, and warn them why they are way off base.

Yeah, you shouldn't jump to conclusions about someone losing their job. But have good criteria, and judge out of loving correction whenever possible, not arrogant self-promotion.

Grammar should matter, but again, to encourage intellectual clarity and not merely for the sake of spawning fights. As with the above, discretion is key.

All of these "rules" have disclaimers and exceptions to them, and can best be boiled down to one simple rule: Use discretion.

• That last point reminds me of something I saw on Facebook. There's this page I follow on there, Funker350 Afghanistan Combat Footage. Lots of US Veterans and their supporters follow it. What the site posts is sometimes funny, sometimes cool, sometimes insightful, and sometimes an unfiltered, brutal look at modern war (they follow a lot of what's happening with the Kurdish Peshmerga fighting ISIS).

Cool site. I like it. To get to the point, though, a lot of the reaction to these posts is... uncouth. Plenty of poster memes, some of them hilarious, but no small amount of bigotry either.

Someone took it upon themselves to take screenshots of the posts on there, intent on following up with their employers to try to get them fired. Can't say I approve of either the bigots or the self-appointed thought-police, really, but I guess what I've been working around to saying is that you're right: the Internet is NOT a parallel universe, and actions taken here have real-life consequences.

• The only problem I have with the grammar one, is when you have commas in the wrong place or none at all. Periods as well. I don't want to be reading one long run on sentence. It's annoying. Other than that, this is pretty spot-on

• Bob said if I smoke the herb I'd know everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDSBxcm_jU

• WOW you wrote it very beautifully.
    Really very good information for all.
    Keep writing.

• 9- Do not give a sh*t about this topic. Treat as who you are.

• Wow!
    Super all are really good and so fair to apply
    Good job lol😃

What Girls Said 17

• great take

• Love it thanks although urghh my hands aren't clean... i am a douche. Sorry to those i went crazy on.

• 1. NO. What you're asking of me is to be a polite jackass and LIE. If you say something stupid I will conclude you are stupid. And I will call you stupid. Why? Because your stupidity is torturing me and in order to stop it, and for you to see what I'm saying in FULL, I have to call it for what it IS. STUPID.
    I DON'T respect your opinion. Yes, you have a right to it, but it is a fucking STUPID opinion. That is a part of my point and the most clear way to convey what I mean.

2. You're regurgitating 1.

3. "You don't know me." is the most pathetic cop-out in existence. Yes I DO know you. I know what you do and say. You just told me. And maybe I don't know you in some other light, but I know a part of you, which is enough for me to define you in my head and make a semblance of an opinion.
    A beautifully made sandwich with a small piece of crap in it is still a shit sandwich.

4. Everybody is NOT different. Of course I don't mean that absolutely, but we have many things in common and generalizations are a perfectly valid way of expressing one's point of view.

5. Here I agree with you. Only intellectual cowards latch onto irrelevant shit once you destroy their point.

6. You're regurgitating 4.
    Again, you are a minority, or an exception. Everyone is NOT different.

7. You're regurgitating 3.

8. I will not treat internet how I treat real life. That's a HORRIBLE idea!
    In real life I don't have the intellectual freedom to be honest and direct. I look at a person's face and feel bad, I worry about being accepted and I care about harmony in my community.
    But to me, internet is not a just any community. It is a place to share ideas first and foremost. People come second.
    And the only treatment ideas deserve is ruthless and skeptical... But because ideas come attached to people carrying them, online, I WILL shoot the messenger without a pang of conscience.

• Must be the same person who said I was demisexual and asexual. He also said my friend is a lesbian and that all women are narcissistic and really just want other women because they are in love with themselves.

• I disagree with 5, because we already have an epidemic of illiterate people who do not know the difference between they're and there, your and you're, and people who don't use any punctuation whatsoever.

• ehh.. it doesn't matter

• This is the best take ever

• THE GRAMMAR GORILLAS. LMAO!

• Yeah sounds about right

• Good take.

I also HATE it when guys say I'm bicurious or I'm a lesbian (thus approving their belief that every girl is bi), just because I said I wouldn't have a problem with kissing a woman. I've never done that, but I wouldn't mind the experience.

I mean, WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU to tell me what I am and what I'm not?

• This is a great take... And some people may fail to realize how great this is and still judge it but for anyone with an open mind this article gives many something to think about before they call someone racist or pick on them for a situation they are in. Thanks for sharing your take!

• What people online don't realise is that I am just the same in real life as I am online. I call a spade a spade and have never been afraid to speak my mind or call bullshit on things. It has made me friends and enemy's :)

• I hate those who hide behind anonymity and be as mean as they fancy..
    You summed it up pretty accurately!

• 💛💙💜 This is the best take ever!! (:

• It's awesome that someone is speaking up about this. I get so frustrated when people act so ridiculous and rude online. It's like, "What are you thinking?" All the time people say things and act differently than they would in person. In a way, I get that that is part of the beauty of the Internet, it allows you a level of anonymity, but I don't think it's right to take advantage of that anonymity to hurt others.

• Aww i loved this so much! I agreed with everthing you stated. Great research and comendations to you.

• I try to follow those rules... mostly. But I think there should be a number 9 which would state: "All bets are off if someone attacks you".

... Or it could be "Treat others how you want to be treated unless if you want to be treated how you treat others".

• If someone attacks you or treat you wrongly you can ignore them or even block them, something you can't in real life... oh no i am not allowed to say that anymore lol

• I think people should deal with issues instead of blocking/ignoring them... lol. I mean, if they have no sense, I can understand ignoring them (in reality and off).

But I would rather tell someone off... lol