Is it worth being religious, if religious people don't set an example?

if religious people aren't that much better than theists morally, then why does it matter?

Most Helpful Guy

• Before his martyrdom, Saint Polycarp said "Eighty and six years, I have served Him and He has done me no wrong. How then can I blaspheme my King and Savior?"

I'll be honest, I've asked that same question before, even recently. However, I then catch myself reflecting on the quote from Polycarp. In the Catholic Church, I hear people talk a lot about "ongoing conversion". This means that one should not see themselves as "good enough" because "... only God is good" (Mark 10:18). We need to continuously seek to confess our love for God by both word AND deed.

So if ten people are around you, all of them say "I love God", but only one acts on that love AND repents when he/she doesn't, you would do better to ask that person why they continue to believe in, love, and follow God than to look at the other nine and point out their hypocrisy and bad example.

• i don't care if people are hypocrites, humans have failings. But most religious people reckon everybody should be religious because they are the most moral/kind, so joining them makes little difference.

• It is possible to live a good and moral life without religion, yes. This is just me, but I think that religious belief gives it a sense of greater meaning. Some people are better about sharing that than others though. For further reading, I recommend Luke 18:9-14.

What Girls Said 1

• Religion produces so many types of people, including those who use it as a tool to learn love and acceptance, and those who take holy words literally to cause pain and spread hate. Atheists can be just as bad. (For the record, I'm atheist.)

Since religion is something most people find comfort in, it has been abused by people to find loopholes to be hateful, insisting that their next position in the afterlife will be to find utopia just for being an asshole.

I think *good* people should set an example to others, with or without religion and allow people to make choices for themselves what seems right for them.

Parents need to pay attention to their kids and raise them right instead of pawning them off on other people. Teachers need to be good educators instead of screaming for money and being on strike at the beginning every school year. Cops need to stop beating innocent people and abusing their position of power. Employers need to stop discriminating their staff. Seriously, just all around, people need to learn how to be fair and be more caring towards others, whether they are religion-influenced or not.

What Guys Said 5

• Think of it like a store you go to. If you shop there a lot and you like the things you get from it then it's worth it to you and you keep going. If you don't like what your getting from that store then simply stop going there.

It doesn't matter who shops there and who doesn't, we all get our shopping done one way or the other. It's just another option out there.

The word shopping in this example represents morals/values or whatever else you want it to.

• haha... well I like how you say I cannot express myself.

• I don't cast aspersions really.

• So then i'm not allowed to air my views, despite your passive-aggressiveness.. ok.

• I'm not religious but I can tell you religion isn't about what other people it's about your relationship with god. What other people do shouldn't matter but I don't go to church anymore because the people From my old church were so hungry for drama it drove me from religion.

That wasn't the only factor but one of the solid ones.

• religious people arrange some nice BBQ meetings every Sunday... oh yeah \O/

• Religious people are theists.