Who's read The Silmarillion?

I read it a while ago and I thought it was really cool :D I should probably do a recap of it or something. How many GAGers have read it?

• Read it. It was cool :)
  • Read it. It was boring :(
  • I plan on reading it
  • ... the what? :/

Most Helpful Guy

• Read it, it was a tough read!
    I thought just the names alone must have taken up 50 pages of the damn book!
    I understood why he did it but I thought the complexity ruined the story.

• I agree with you there, it's probably the toughest thing I've ever dealt with book-wise! I preferred to treat each chapter or group of chapters as a really small book, which made it bearable. Although after finishing the book I immediately decided that it was very much worth it :)

• Haha i guess but whilst reading it, it's just like "why am i doing this to myself"
      Well done for reading it though :)

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 7

• never... is it a comic book?

• It's the history of Middle Earth (from Lord of the Rings) from it's creation onward... Tolkien worked on it for most of his life, and it was unfinished when he died.

• Read it. Great book. It's quite different from LOTR though, not to mention Hobbit. It's evident that different stories were put together chronologically in this book but it's not disturbing in any way. Just a little different.

• i have not. i definitely should though

• No. Still have to read LOTR.

If you do a recap, include a spoiler alert.

• Never heard of it

• It's on my hit list. I have read the hobbit and LOTR tho.

• Read it. It was cool. Not the coolest thing in the world, I think some people would find it tedious to read, but if you're the type that likes to really immerse yourself in a particular fantasy world, it gives nifty context to the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.