What makes a bad word, bad?

Why is bad words considered a bad word like sex u can say it also fu#! But fu#! Sounds like a bad word even they have the dame meaning what do u think about this

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 2

• I always wondered this haha.

• Well for one thing, bad words make you sound ignorant and stupid, and being a Christian, it is one of the Ten Commandments that you should not swear. It also makes you feel kind of dirty inside. I don't swear, but some of my friends do and they told me it makes them feel kind of gross. They've stopped since then. Anyway, do what you want but be aware that you probably shouldn't.

What Guys Said 2

• Okay, first of all, not swearing is NOT one of the ten commandments. It's a little strange that somebody who claims herself to be a Christian believes this. Secondly, your question is a very good and legitimate one. As a European, I frequently feel like many Americans are literally scared of words. This has led to (in my opinion) rather bizarre habits of morally banning people from saying certain words out loud or inventing "innocent alternatives" for them. Instead of shit people say shoot, instead of damn they say dang, instead of hell they say heck etc. This seems particularly strange to me because everyone know what you mean to say. So if I exclaim "shoot!" because I hit my m, both I myself and everyone around me know that I meant to say "shit". Not at least because the verb "to shoot" doesn't make any pragmatic sense in this context. Yet, many people say it. It's basically a way of pretending stuff, of keeping the appearances up, something I personally find ridiculous. There are other cases like the famous "n-word" that I find even stranger. Americans are extremely careful not to actually use the "n-word". It's almost like in Harry Potter where everyone keeps calling Voldemort "you-know-who". It's very ironic that while people try so hard not be racist, racism is still a big problem in the US. I believe that tolerance towards other races should be conveyed in actions, not in words. I have absolutely no problem with black folks, I once even had a black girlfriend. Yet I sometimes jokingly call them "n..." I don't mean this in a disrespectful way at all. I just don't think that we should be scared of letters. Of course they carry a historical burden but then again... it's just a bunch of letters. It used to be problematic to say "horny" out loud, nowadays it isn't. I think this whole language purity has a lot to do with conservative and especially religious thinking. It's basically part of an ideology, not because there are any good reasons to say certain words.

• its how people associate the word