I quit my new job the second week. Do you think my concerns were justified?

I started a new job working in an assisted living home for seniors. In the interview stage I told them I wanted a part time job because I am going to nursing school, they said they had partime posisitons available with evening shifts, but somehow I ended up on night shift which I did not complain about. The first week went fine with 3 night shifts, I liked my job and the majority of my coworkers seemed nice.

My concern began the next week, I was scheduled to work 6 days that week, both overnight shifts and morning (they were trying to push for 7), and the next week they had me down to work 5 days working overnight, evening, and morning shifts, and i was suppose to be on call several days. Both of these weeks they scheduled me to work well over 40 hours with none of the benefits associated with being a fulltime employee. I also found out in the second week that after training in a building with 50 residents with two other people, I was going to have work in the sister building with 40 residents by myself indefinitely. One other thing that really bothered me was that one of the managers would seriously text me everday about completely nonurgent matters, especially in the morning when she knew I just got off work at 6 am.

I really wished the job would have worked out, but they were leaving me with just enough time to get an inadequate amount of sleep, run to class, and then run back to work. I worked a few shifts the second week and then decided i did not want them owning my life or forcing me to become noctural for a mere 10 dollars/hr, yet I still can't help but feel like a quitter.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Care homes usually take the piss out of their staff. Many jobs give you the right hours the first few weeks, then hit you with loads and hope you'll be too polite to argue with it and be thankful for the hours, but that's not what you agreed and you couldn't possibly have done those hours when you're doing nursing school as well. They were taking advantage of you and didn't respect your choice of being part time. They're not running their business correctly and clearly don't respect their staff. You got out of their in good time! You did the right thing.

What Guys Said 3

• Did you walk to them? You need to let them know of your concerns, especially if it's relating to your health. Anyone would struggle with that type of schedule, regardless of age or gender. It seems they may have tried to take advantage of you. Yes, your concerns were justified. If you talked to them, they may have helped you get a better schedule. I just hope you didn't quit without talking to them.

• Regrettably, I did not talk to them before quitting. Any interaction I had with them before quitting was just them asking for more and more of my time. Well, besides the letter I got asking me to sign a contract accepting full financial responsibility for the iPads they are switching to.

• Next time, discuss calmly, rationally, and professionally your concerns. They should not work you as a dog like that. I don't know if they thought they would do that long term. If they did, then they are crazy.

• your not the only quitter..

• Very justified.

What Girls Said 4

• I think you were OK with quitting. Did you explain to them WHY you quit on the second week? It's always hard to not feel like a quitter when you quit a job, especially so quickly, but over time you'll realize you did it for yourself and not to harm yourself and you'll forget about it.

I briefly took on a second job at a hotel as a housekeeper, realized I wasn't cut out to do that shit because I'm not as aggressive as all the other ladies were about doing work, and quit.

I apologized to the manager for wasting her time when I quit, explained I didn't feel like it was a good fit, collected my one paycheck when it came, and washed my hands of the place.

• It was justified but I think they might've just been trying to fuck with you to see how long you'd stick around or if you'd try to stand up for yourself

• You let them took advantage of you. Raise the issue immediately and state that your contract is part time. Not full Time.

• If it had just been one or two issues I would def raise the issue with them, but with so many issues and disregard for my time and comfort I doubted that it was worth it. After already quitting I am also unsure about how to open the dialogue to explain to them why I quit.

• Yeah, you were justified