Do we have free will?

Most Helpful Girl

• I personally don't think so; not if one is part of a social contract. This is why the government exists. I like to think of it sort of like a "social contract." We sacrifice our autonomy and most of our freedom for state protection.

• Someone has read what Rousseau, Locke and Hobbes wrote, I guess.
      I am impressed, I haven't seen too many people like you in my life.
      Have my respect.

• Wow, that's awesome. It's even more impressive because you are only 15 and Rousseau is really hard to understand, at least the German translations are. I had theories about states and society in year 12, so just a few months ago and they usually are really demanding, I think we only analysed like 30-50 lines of text per class, depending on the author.

• @notverycreativeguy
      lol, I really like to learn, so I guess if you really like something it's not so difficult to understand (sometimes).
      Our AP classes are very demanding as well.

What Guys Said 16

• My wife won't let me.

• We have an illusion of free will and in many circumstances we can choose.
    We can't choose where we are born, rich or poor family, rich or poor country. We can't choose our education. Most people can't choose their religion.

www.quickmeme.com/.../...89a3784f0d679fdf31fb8.jpg

But we can chose about other things we do or don't or acts we commit. Do they have as much impact? I don't know.

• I am not sure, if there is such a thing as free will,
    it's really a tough question.
    There are so many things to think about when trying to find the answer to it.
    For example, we all got some instincts which we can't really supress, at least not easily, do they count as free will or not? Can they even be considered something that is related to will? Or is our will only defined by what we actually think about?

• we do. I did something last night that was scary as fuck, but I controlled myself and nothing bad came of it.

• Yes, I do. Consequences are another matter though xD

• I believe that everything we think and all our decisions are in the context of our experiences, culture, opinions, morals, motives, etc. which are all physically real and in our brains. So it just depends on whether you want to call that "free will".

• I think we do.

• the cage is big enough to grant the illusion of freedom, yes.

• yessssssss

it's called "auto" as well :D

• Both yes and no.. We have the free will which is not %100 Cuz it is dependent on the conditions of us

• In the dreams we do..

• Yes but only a little in my opinion.

• Must... answer... question...

• In what context Katherine? Religious? Yes, if we don't we would have a sadistic god.

• yeah, only when i visit to restroom

• yessssssssssssssss we can kill, rape, help some , feed people, work,

What Girls Said 5

• I don't think so really. There is nothing outside of Capital - not even my internal desires, dreams or futile hopes. Within it I can only choose between this or that type of suffering. If we have a Will, it is not free. It is trapped and being brutally tortured.

• No free WiFi.

• we have will. but no one is free in this world.

• Yes, I do.

• Do you think we do?