Tsarnaev gets Death Penalty for Boston Marathon Bombings, agree?

• Agree, death penalty
  • Disagree
  • Other (explain)

Most Helpful Guy

• He's either going to get the death penalty or spend life rotting in prison. I don't see the difference between the two at this point for him, might as well kill him. He's a waste of resources at this point.

What Girls Said 4

• Wow. It finally happened. I feel sorry for him but he knew what he was doing. Too bad his brother got away easier.

• The Jury had to deliberate for almost 15 hours!!! That's more than typically. I think they wanted to go through everything procedurally with detail so no appeals court could overturn the decision.

• Makes sense. Considering how old he is and why he might of done it. It has to be solid.
      So many young lives ruined. -_-

• I think the death penalty is kind of a bad idea in general.

• People's money doesn't need to get wasted on people like him. x_x he killed in cold blood.

• in this case... i kind of don't see what "good" he could have achieved anyways with life in prison... I don't know, maybe he'd have suffered more that way. regardless, those families deserve justice.

• He should rot in jail. Death is like an easy escape. He deserves to suffer for what he did.

What Guys Said 15

• As a European, I am absolutely against death penalty, regardless of the crime. Emotionally, I understand the decision. Most likely, I would also want him dead if one of my family members had been a victim. However, and this is where I strongly disagree with American sentiment, I don't think law or "justice" should be decided on the basis of emotions, but on the basis of cold, rational thinking. And on the basis of rational thinking, there are countless good arguments against the death penalty. But even if we forget about most of them (death penalty is in fact more expensive than life in prison, juries can be wrong, countries without the death penalty have lower crime rat etc.), even if we forget about all those instances of people being ill-informed about the death penalty, there is still the ethical problem. I believe that there are certain, unalienable rights, such as the freedom of thought, the right to be free (not be in slavery) and the right to live. These rights, in my opinion, cannot and must not be overturned, because they are unalienable. Ethically, there is no justifiable reason that would excuse enslaving somebody - whether it is for sex slavery or more in a historical way. In the same way, no reason exists that would ethically (not emotionally, ethically!) justify or legitimize ending somebodies life by force. Even if that person committed heinous crimes. Of course a society can do that but I cannot regard such a society as civilized. By taking away such unalienable rights from certain people, the society (not just government, but the society as a whole) commits a murder itself. It thus stains itself with exactly the same ethical "sin" or barbarism of a heinous crime that it seeks to prevent.

• "As a European, I am absolutely against death penalty, regardless of the crime."

Explain that to me. I'm a pretty sheltered American i guess-- is capital punishment not legal in European countries?

• No. The only European country where death penalty is still being performed is Belarus - which, well, happens to be a autocratic dictatorship. In my home country Switzerland, the death penalty was already outlawed in 1874, shortly after the founding of Switzerland as modern, democratic state. It was then legalised again in 1879. The last execution for "normal" crimes (non-political) happened in 1940. The last execution under martial law happened in 1944 (a guy who collaborated with the Nazis). Shortly after WW2, death penalty was banned for all crimes, including political ones. By the way, the US is also the only country in all of America that still performs the death penalty. It is already illegal in Canada and Mexico and some South American countries. The rest has it exclusively for martial law or has at least a moratorium. Now, this is not meant to bash the US in any way. All I'm trying to show is that the death penalty is an anachronism and not compatible with 21st century ethics...

• I agree with the jury's decision. It was horrible what he did. I watched a documentary on survivors and victims of the bombings it was awful what happened to those innocent people including children.

• I don't know the facts. If any one is guilty of murder, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I'm wholly in favor of the death penalty. But I don't trust our justice system enough to have any certainty that there is no doubt, just because they say so. But, again, I wasn't on the jury, so I don't know the facts.

• In the context of crimes that were punishable by the death penalty, this seems like one of those.

• Its about time kill the little bastard

• I don't want my tax dollars spent on him for the rest of his life in prison. Totally agree.

• Well he's just going to sit on death row for 25 years so it's not too earth shattering, and while I think it's an appropriate punishment in a case such as this, I still believe rotting in a 4x4 cage for the rest of his pathetic life might have been more suitable. However, as I've stated here before about this matter, if you live by the sword, you will die by the sword.

• yup... no tolerance 8)

• Well can't wait to see him in the papers in like 30 years when the execution actually happens.

• @Bards was that a "OMG that's hilarious" or "omg that's horrible to say?"

• Its a omg you might be fucking right in an exaggerated way. Probably not 30 years but too long on death row.

• I disagree with the death penalty on principle. I won't mourn his particular death, I just think the punishment is pointless. I think it says something about the society that uses it that I dislike.

• I've always wondered why it takes years to execute someone in the USA rather than them do it days or months or even immediately after the sentencing? But anyways he killed several innocent people so let the punishment fit the crime I say.

• Many people are exonerated and proven not guilty even years down the road while they are sitting on death row for no reason. Just wanted to bring that up.

• In China, North Korea they carry out death penalty cases immediately even in the 1800's in the USA they did

• I don't agree, and I think it's stooping to his level.

• Does Massachusetts have a death penalty? How?

• This is a federal felony and he is being sentenced in a federal court, which of course supercedes MA state law.

• I am against the death penalty in general, but I respect the decision of the majority.

• As a country without this punishment i absolutely disagree