If the Civil War happened today, what side would you pick?

So, knowing what you do about the American Civil War, let's say another one broke out 2017. Say about half of the States decided to secede from the Union over whatever topic, and the other States/federal government decided to try to kill enough people to change their minds.

Who would you support or what would you do, and why?

• Support/fight for the separatists.
  • Support/fight for the Federal government.
  • Escape to Canada, or something.

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 4

• I would escape to Canada.

• i think it would depend on why people were trying to secede from the Union. Without having that information, I voted for C because I can't imagine living in a war-torn country.

• The reason doesn't matter... taxes, abortion, gun rights, immigration policies, freed trade, pick what you like. A big chunk of the USA held statewide elections and decided to make their own clubhouse...

• how can it not matter? lol. if it was a cause i believed in strongly, then perhaps I would be a separatist. or vice versa. but most likely, i'd just move with my parents.

• i am a conservative so i believe that (generally speaking) issues should be left up to the states to decide but i also believe that certain issues like slavery and discrimination should not be left up to the states to decide and that we need to deal with it as a nation.

• Escape to Canada. I don't support politics or war

• Too bad both hold dominion over your life.

• Yep. Unfortunately my hard earned tax dollars go to support the killing of both the military and innocent civilians and making new weapons of mass destruction.

• They'd take even more of your money, if they could. I like to compare America to old Rome.

What Guys Said 19

• I'm not American but if I was, I would escape (doesn't really matter where. Maybe Canada's a tad to close. Europe or Asia or South America will also do). I would also escape if a civil war broke out in my home country. I am strictly against wars. I do believe that there are very, very few topics that are worth and justifiable being fought about, but most aren't. Plus, I'm just not patriotic enough to participate in any war. I don't think it's heroic that American soldiers died in Iraq so that the American government can get some of its oil fields and pretend looking for weapons of mass destruction. It was naive and very sad for their loved ones. All these good young men died for nothing. For imperialism and stupid international squabblings. See, I am very happy to live in the country I live in. I like it here. But I can't see myself killing someone for some kind of opinion I hold. And I can't see myself dieing and my parents and siblings and the big love of my life dieing just for some stupid political disagreements. If different political forces in my country would declare that they are done talking to each other about things and that they want to instead fight it out like little children, I'd go like "alright folks. Fuck this. Do whatever you feel you have to do. But don't expect me to be a part of it. I'm outta here."

• It depends on the issues. The Civil War was brought on by the issue of slavery. the separatist will say that the issue was states rights, but when you ask what rights, it comes back to the right to enslave people. And that is something I cannot condone. So I would have to know the issues.

• I'd fight for freedom and for the people just like we have done in the past, if the US government would truly kill it's own people for that, then it is not the government our founders fought to create and is therefor the enemy. And it is the duty of the military and the country's countrymen to protect this nation from all enemies foreign and domestic.

• Already in Canada lol.
    Based on your wording you make the government sound like an aggressor that's forcing the seceded states to rejoin. Looking at the type of issues America has I wouldn't be surprised if states seceded over something unreasonable so I'd probably stick with the government. Perhaps my opinion is biased because I'm Ukrainian and see separatism as a negative but I'll stand by it.

• People have to remember that the war wasn't fought over slavery. There are a myriad of issues that contributed to the war.

Really simplified, if you're in favor of state's rights to choose their own laws feds be damned, you'll vote A.

If you think the Federal Government should have final say over the states, you'll vote B.

I voted B.

• I would stay at home in Ireland

• East always

• I'm black so I'd fight for the north. I don't want slavery coming back.

• I can't go to war, I'm a minor. I'd side with the separatists though. Many people are blind, and don't know about the federal reserve, and what kind of control they have over our country. It's sad.

• It depends on why it happens.
    If the Federal Government declares Martial Law, of course I will stand with the rebels/separatists.
    What will be the situation in your question?

• that would depend on the issue

• I'd side with aliens and destroy these useless humans once and for all! 👿

• I will always choose Dixie.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

• In many ways, the Civil War never ended.

• for the south.

• I would visit from Canada, take Taylor Swift away and ignore it completely.

• fight for seperatists but sort of betray but using their resources to flee to Canada lol

• To be honest, I think the conditions for violence (and possibly civil war) are already present today... just hasn't gotten the last nudge it needs for the scales to tip. Maybe more time stewing is necessary.

I have split loyalties, as I see both sides. I'd try to remain out of it as much as possible. Other people's causes aren't on my list of things to die over.

• Government FTW