Why did I get a couple downvotes this time for not believing someone should reply violence with violence?

I never went to the extreme of saying never either. I only suggested that someone should defend themselves if it's really a life threatening situation or if you were protecting a friend or loved one... basically do what you have to do in that case. I stated that to just retaliate to do it back it's wrong.

And suddenly I get immediately 3 male downvotes. When I stated the same thing several months ago, I got upvoted.

Though that question was posted last month or so... I'm wondering what was so bad with my reply of only defending yourself when it's true self-defense and not to retaliate in anger.

Most Helpful Guy

• Probably because you're pushing your moral beliefs onto other people, they don't like that. lol

• I wasn't pushing my beliefs into others. I was stating my opinion. The asker wanted replies and he got it. But strangely those male posters that promoted retaliation got several upvotes and any other replies that doesn't favor retaliation or is neutral either got no votes or downvoted.

• Then apparently the asker wasn't interest in other people's opinions, he was only hearing what he wanted.. his standpoint... to feel validated.

• Agreed. Together we discovered the understanding of some humans' motivation. I am proud of what we have achieved here today! lol

What Guys Said 5

• Because those guys were most likely armchair warriors who feel that violence warrants violence. They're just waiting for an opportunity to downvote someone and show how tough they are by imagining beating someone up.

• Which is such a sad world they're living in.

• You're right. It's pretty sad. Many guys out there have this rage-inducing inferiority complex.

• Cause it never solves nothing

• If you mean replying violence with violence just to retaliate never solves anything, then I agree it never does.

• i'll up-vote now

• Why did Hitler think he could get away with what he did?

• Hitler was an evil, mass murderer. Why are you putting such an extreme comparison?

• Just sayin'

• It's human nature, and trust me when someone hits me, they are going down. In fact I got suspended because I knocked out a guy who elbowed me in the face. My dad was like "good job, sticking up for yourself, but don't do that again" lol

• But my reply wasn't that bad. This time, the ones that got upvoted a lot were guys that were in the ''retaliatory'' crowd and saying they ''hell yes, I'm knocking them out''. Weird.

• Well yes if the person is coming after me, even after I've been trying to get away and there is no way out... that would be self-defense.

• Retaliation is justifiable but it really just depends on the situation and the people in it

What Girls Said 1

• People get downvoted for the most random things on here haha pretty sure I was downvoted once just for saying I liked the color blue..

• WTF? You meant "red", right? How DARE you say you liked blue? -Downvotes- /s

• Psssssh no way, man. Blue forever stands as #1. Forget all that "red" crap ;P @Distant