Should I go for a Bachelor's degree or not?

Up until recently I was pretty dead set on going for a Bachelor's degree. It's kind of the "standard" to go by and everything these days obviously and it's something that I've always wanted to achieve. But lately I'm finding out that while I've earned like 90+ college credits and two Associate's degrees, that it's still going to be up to another 2 and a half to 3 years of school, just given how credits will transfer for me and transfer requirements to fill.

The Associate's degree that I earned is quite valuable even given it was a 2 year program however and it really will get me started in what I want to be doing for my career, but I fear that employers will still expect more. My current employer wants me to continue with school and if I don't there is a chance they will let me go (it's an internship position) so as long as I stay in school I can continue interning... but here's the deal... I'm nearly 25 years old. I will probably be at least 28 by the time I graduate with a Bachelor's degree, given that I'd be working and going to school part-time. I don't have that kind of time to just waste my life away in school. I have bills to pay now and need something stable. I can't just up and leave a job like I have now to go to school full-time and go back to working in restaurants and stuff. That's why I'm afraid that if I'm honest with them, they'll cease to keep me on-board.

I just want to work and if I go back to school my heart will not be in it. I'll be forced to take disciplines that I don't even really care about or have no interest in learning. It just feels like a big waste of time and money. I'm not knocking education either, it's a great thing for a lot of people, but for some reason every time I've set foot on a 4 year-university campus, it all just feels like a big joke to me... I can't explain it. I just don't feel like I belong and it doesn't feel like it's something I need in my life or that will be much of a benefit for me. What should I do?

Sorry it's taken a while to respond. I am going into engineering but I don't want the title of an engineer, just a designer. Most design programs are found in technical schools or are 2 year programs. It's rare to find one that is a 4 year bachelors.

The other thing is if I continue with my schooling I will not get anymore exposure to design work, unless I pursue a math/physics-heavy engineering degree, and even then, I have heard multiple sources say they don't get much design experience.

24

Most Helpful Girl

• If you feel that your associates is lucrative and will help you on to a path you're happy with, then absolutely don't spend time and money getting a bachelors. If there was something I wanted to do that didn't require a ton of school I absolutely wouldn't have gotten mine.

If you feel like you NEED one to reach your goals then I would suggest going to a school that has a part time program specifically for people in your situation, where many classes are online or at night. Good luck.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 1

• You didn't mention the most important thing, what's the Major you'd pursue? What career would you be shooting for? A Bachelor's degree can be very useful, or mostly useless, depending on what it's in and what the field you're interested in requires.

What Guys Said 4

• It really depends on what type of career you are trying to pursue. I know in my industry and other industries where I have worked an A. A. isn't really anything that will get the employers attention. They are looking for a minimum of a bachelors. I know that an A. A. is viewed as a lot better than an A. S.

• I'm 24 in 3 weeks and I'm going for one :)
    It will take me just over a year until I actually am able to start my degree but I've been In college for a year now doing a course that gets me on into starting my degree :)

• I don't know I'm a school nut, I want to get into graduate school. Not everyone has to do the same route perhaps bachelors is not necessary for you

• What is the standard for the field you are in, assuming you want to stay in that area?