What would happen if?

I've always wondered what would happen if ___ jumped right before an elevator smacked the ground?
Would __ take any damage if their body was in the center of the elevator carrier thingy? Since they aren't touching anything right? So you'd think they'd be safe, but then again wouldn't all of the momentum or whatever the scientific name is for it be stuck their body while the carrier was failing at like 90 MPH? Causing them to die the moment their legs touched that elevator carrier's floor

I think y'all see what I'm trying to get at here, well I hope so Lol

Was inspired by this question http://www.girlsaskguys.com/other/q1488287-if-you-are-inside-a-moving-train-jump-vertically

bump

Most Helpful Guy

• Mythbusters tested that scenario some time ago. Long story short, Buster was busted when the elevator hit the ground. Had Buster been an actual human, he would have been dead on impact. The reason is because of his relative frame of motion. He was in an elevator that was moving downward quickly, and jumping only counteracted a small fraction of that velocity. The impact velocity was still enough to kill a human.

https://youtu.be/xmloyCC7MOY

What Girls Said 2

• because of being in the elevator, ____ is in an inertial state of motion. inertia is a state where the body continues to stay in the same state of rest or motion. according to newton's 1st law of motion, body will remain in inertial state unless an external unbalanced force acts on it.
    when one hits ground, they remain in that state of motion, and it takes time, and a force exerted by the ground, to establish a new inertial state, which will be the state of rest.

they will get hurt

• What the anonymous guy said

What Guys Said 6

• Yup I think they would die... Because when the elevator is at a free fall, the person inside is actually weightless therefore isn't actually touching the ground surface of the elevator... Meaning, you can't jump. :(..

www.einstein-online.info/.../cabin_free.gif

• Mythbusters did an episode on this once. If I remember correctly you'd live. Thing is you don't know exactly when it'll hit the floor

• The force of your jump would have to be equal to or greater then the force of everything pushing down on you

• You would still fall to the ground and get hurt.

• its an interesting thought however you would hit your head on the top smacking you at the same force as if you didn't jump, at least in theory

• I was going to say that also like "wouldn't ya still smack ya muffin at the top of the carrier then if not slam into the ground?

• i think your knees would snap your body will still be going the same speed minus the delay of your jump