I want to join the Army?

Okay so I'm a 15 year old female in high school. I've realized that I really really want to join the army but I dont know much. Can someone explain this to me...
□ what are the risks (rape, ptsd, loss of limbs mental illness afterwards etc etc) likelyhood of them occuring
□ how can/should I get my college education during before or after
□ is it possible that I could work as a forensic scientist for the army
□ will having worked in the army better my chances of working as forensic scientist
□ or will it be difficult to find a job after I've been discharged
□ what is the atmosphere like in the army (ddaily routine)

Most Helpful Guy

• My family is all in the army but I am sure in different country than urs so I can't answer no.2 but what r the risks trust me all of this I don't recommend women to join the army and it's tough life and the daily routine is like working and training and shooting and it will be difficult to find a job after dischargeding it depends on the country and ur rank my father left the army when he was a colonel and he works in the ambassy now

What Guys Said 8

• Kamsi,
    Hello! I am in the Marine Corps, however I do know a lot about the Army. First off, if you're hearing opinions from people NOT in the military, do not listen. You are able to join the military once you are 16 and 11 months, or on June 1st after your graduation. Definitely get your degree. You will become a butter bar (2nd Lt.) and better pay. The routine is challenging, but if you want to serve, you won't mind. You're a female, so your chances of PTSD and combat is low, although if you join infantry, there's a higher risk. The Army and the Marine Corps are the two branches with the most records of rape, etc. If I were you, I would join the Coast Guard, Air Force, or Navy.

• My uncle (a former army drill sergeant and recruiter) has said I'm only allowed to join the airforce as it is safest for women

• You're only allowed? First off, I respect your uncle for his service. My objection is that if you want to go to any of the all five branches, then you go do it! I love the people in the USAF but I wouldn't leave the USMC. When I say the Army and the Marines have the most records of rape, I'm talking documented records. A lot of people try to brush it under the rug. If you're strong and confident, that won't happen. Again, it's your life and your commitment of your contract. (Yes, it's usually longer than four years).

• I really can't give a better answer then @LoganM

The only stuff I can tell you for sure is that you can join any of the branches the only thing you are not allowed to join is the Seals that is male only. And since your a women you will have a lower chance of actually being involved in combat you'd probably be guarding transports and convoy's if you were ever to be deployed to a combat zone. But you most likely wouldn't be deployed directly into it.

• First off, SEALS have opened up their doors to women, just like the Rangers opened up their doors to women. You are correct on combat zones, as women usually in Armor and such. Women are in direct combat, but in a more passive way, but they are more involved and will continue to be within the next couple of years. Overall, it seems like you know it.

• If a woman wants to go through BUD/S or Ranger School, she is expected to maintain the standards of a man. I agree with you on the transgender part. Personally, I don't want a transgender in my unit at all.

• @loganM good glad to hear it just wanted to make sure the standard of our military is maintained.

Yeah me neither.

• if u r from US... lemme tell u US army';s REALLY tough as hell judgin from many descriptions... can u afford it? :-)

• Lol I am actually... first generation American in my family thank you very much 😅

• How can you know you really want to work for the army if you know so little about it? I hate to burst your bubble but forensics is actually a very dull boring job. They make it look really fun and cool in movies and tv shows, but its nothing like that in real life.

• Most people enlisting don't know a lot about the life of being enlisted until they live it. Reality wise, no one really knows what it is like to be in the military until they live it.

• as far as the education goes it normally occurs after your tour is up. you might be able to work as a forensic scientist in the army for court marshal investigations or something. and it is the army, it is a high risk job.

• I know a guy here @LoganM knows something about the Armed Forces, but he is in the Marine Corps.

• I want to fuck u

• There's something called an army recruitment office... It's there for exactly this situation.

• Yeah I realize that but I feel like they won't be as honest because their goal is to recruit you... I don't know

• If you are bright you will be told how to get into your field and how to become an officer. It takes more than fitness in the modern military. Anyone can get fit, most people are stupid or consider intelligence to be too nerdy in this day and age. Trust in yourself and they will advise you earnestly.

• Let me just say. If you can't handle it physically or emotionally they won't put you in!!

What Girls Said 4

• college after you get a GED which means the army pays for your tuition.
    don't get too stressed about being injured though it's a legitimate thing to be worried about you just gotta focus on what you got to do out there.
    it shouldn't be must more difficult to find a job after military looks good on an application especially after you get your college degree then you are set!

I'm not in the army but my dad, uncles, grandpas, and currently my brother is serving. he's been in for 5 years and just reenlisted for another 3. he hates/loves it. Obama has really fucked things up with his new rules of engagement and it's really weakened the army. but it's a great atmosphere for women now that it's the 21st century and you may have to work harder to prove yourself but that's good anyway. it's strict. smells weird. but it's kinda like anywhere- some people are jerks others not so much. boot camp is just there to scare you and push you but if you want this that bad it will be worth it for sure. if you end up joining I would like to congratulate you and thank you for your service it means a lot!!!

• 3 out of 5 females are sexually assaulted in the military.. Vast majority go unreported from the fear of retaliation.
    If you go to combat chances are you when you come back you will not get acquet care or a job.
    I'd go to a military academy and then join. You will start at the higher ranks.

• That statistic is false. Also if she does go through ROTC, harrassement is much more likely since enlisted soldiers hate it when 2nd Lt. have no experience yet they are in charge of them (i. e butter bar).

• It is a better idea to join an army school instead of doing ROTC in college, because army schools are free. I know one of my friends is a forensic scientist (or something like it), so it'd definitely possible. I don't know about the atmosphere, but I do no rape rates are higher in army schools than other colleges

• The only Army school that is technically free is West Point, and you have to pay $8,000 each year. There is only one true Army school and that is USMA. The rape rates are not higher and I would highly suggest you do research before you go spewing off random shit facts. Coming from a soldier..

• Oh and USMA is ROTC... ;-) again, do your research. This is hilarious to see you pretend you know everything..

• DON'T DO IT!
    JOIN THE NAVY INSTEAD.