How can I feel less scared walking in my neighborhood alone at night?

So i babysit a lot of kids in my neighbourhood, which means most of the time that i have to walk home alone at around 03:00 at night and I'm always scared when i do that! I hate being scared in my neighbourhood, because I'm not short nor am i skinny and the few months of defence classes I've done left me with at least the capability to defend myself if needed, but i did get followed once and almost kidnapped another time, so it's alo not surprising that I'm scared. I just want to feel safe in my own neighborhood! Do you guys have any tips? Do you feel safe? If so, how do you do it?

Most Helpful Guy

• One of the parents whose kids you babysit should drive you home after they get home from whatever they were out doing. The parent (s) should recognize that you shouldn't be walking home alone at that time of night, but if they don't, you could make that requirement part of your oral contract when you do babysitting.

What Guys Said 13

• If you genuinely feel unsafe, it's hard to convince you to feel otherwise. My advice is to equip yourself with tools for self-defense, such as a taser. They are light and easy to use. Train yourself on how to utilize the taser in a dangerous situation, as well as how to strike men in the testicles.

• Get the mace, pepper spray or taser but- - - - -Honestly, you should talk to the police and tell them your situation. Call for an appointment with the captain. Then go right to the station and talk to them. . . not by phone. Tell them you've been followed and almost kidnapped. They're bored silly at 3 am and they'd probably gladly watch your neighborhood street.

• i walk like nobody is gonna fck with me and feel like a boss doing it. no point in being scared unless you're in danger. but if you really do feel scared carry a knife or mace in your purse or put on a big hoodie that makes it difficult to distinguish if you are male or female

• I would not feel safe in your circumstances at that time in the morning. When we used a sitter at night, I would drive her home after we came home. We would not put her out alone at that time.

• Well it would be a little excessive to bring me home by car if its just like less than a minute walking right?

• Actually, in that case I might walk her home. But it is obviously far enough to be a concern, so anyway that gets her home safely.

• Go for self defence lessons. They really help with confidence.

• Retractable police batons.
    -Telescoping noise has an intimidating *clink!* sound to it, it's also loud.
    -Hurts like Hell when hit by it, even by a small woman.
    -Cheap and can be carried around easily.
    catalog.wlimg.com/.../...-rocket-baton-1033448.jpg

• Firstly, you have PTSD from when you were almost kidnapped...
    Second, Society has created, labeled and reinforced that vulnerable, fearful, need to be protected personality trait in women... You're just as capable of bravery and protecting yourself as a man and women are much more cunning to boot!
    Meditate, focus and slowly but surely, the fear will subside.. Be certain to learn coping mechanisms for the PTSD...

• I'm not sure i have ptsd, but the incident has made me to be more aware of my surroundings.
      I really like the way you think tho, tell me more :)))
      I actually do meditate sometimes

• Learn how to defend yourself, pray, get a friend to walk with you, buy pepper spray, mace, a taser, a gun etc.

• I did kinda learn how to defend myself, I'm atheist, my friends all live at least half an hour away from me they wouldn't do that for me and i might get myself like a pockey knife or something, because all the other stuff is illegal, but I'm sure I'd just lose it all the time xD

• Alright i will :) thanks

• No problem.

• is yer neighborhood an infamous place? :-)

• You might be better off with some dagger than a pocket knife. It's big enough to scare off your opponent, but it is big enough to be concealed. :).

• Carry a gun

• I get a pistol and a concealed carry permit. Maybe some type of body camera to prove they broke the law and I'd shoot em only what's necessary because they may try to charge you. Or I just don't walk at all.

• Damn is it really that bad of a neighborhood?

• It's not even that bad! Nothing ACTUALLY happened except a cat got ran over and two people got killed over the course of 4/5 years

• Damn maybe some pepper spray

What Girls Said 6

• Carry pepper spray and/or a stun gun! That's what I do.

• keep a pocket knife with you that's it

• I carry pepper spray and that helps me a bit. Have you tried that?

• I haven't but that's illegal here and i wouldn't know where to get it!

• Omg! I didn't know it was illegal anywhere, definitely don't do it then.😳

• I'd walk around in the day but, not at night. My neighborhood doesn't have street lights.

• I would bring pepper spray and some form of a small weapon

• Take a pocket knife or something with you