Ugh, how do you deal with a baby screaming and crying?

I feel like never having kids right now. My roommate's babysitting her niece here, and she's been screaming and crying for hours on and off. It's this awful, high-pitched screech. I don't know why she's just letting her wail on and on, is that normal? Shouldn't she be trying to calm her down? And is that baby ever going to get tired? I'm trying to drown it all out with music in my ears.

I'm trying to study for finals too, and it just never ends...

Most Helpful Girl

• How old is the baby? But yes she should be rocking her or seeing if she needs a bottle or a diaper change. She's probably just needing affection because her mom is not there at the moment. She shouldn't be letting the baby cry for that long.

• She's more like a toddler than baby I guess, looks about 3. I think she is missing her mom, but it's seriously been going on for hours.

What Guys Said 4

• You have to find out why the baby is crying first. Is she hungry? Does she have tummy problems? Is she sleepy? Does she miss her mom/dad? I've found that babies are really good at bouncing back emotions from people so if you're feeling aggitated and annoyed she will pick up on that while you try to comfort her and she won't calm down. Try picking her up and hold her chest to chest and pace slowly around the room and talk sweetly to her and most importantly be clam about it. It works fairly well most of the time. Do it in a room with no distractions and by yourself.

• just saw that she's like 3. Just play with her. Find out what she likes and play, act stupid, make stupid sounds, stupid faces they're not hard to entertain.

• Shake it like a Polaroid picture!

25.media.tumblr.com/.../...i86sPc1syvpz3o1_250.gif

• A large roll of tape.

• Babies do what babies do.

What Girls Said 2

• I think if it's yours you feel different about it, like it grew in you for 9 months and shot out of your choice and is half of your genes. You probably won't like it but it makes it a compulsion to tolerate and love it lol

• Earphones in!