What are your thoughts on school dress codes?

I just want more opinions or perspectives... Honestly I think some school dress codes are total bullshit... , but other opinions would be nice.

Most Helpful Guy

• I personally find them complete bullshit and ridiculous. I am very glad we don't have where I come from (Switzerland). When I was still in high school, I sometimes wore t-shirts with a hemp leave on it saying "legalize it", or t-shirts with the word "fuck" on it or Che Guevara t-shirts. I don't know which of these would be banned in American high schools but some probably would. I don't see why anyone shouldn't be able to freely speak their mind just because he/she is not legally an adult yet. People have opinions and preferences, so what? Also, I can't really see what possibly could be inappropriate or offensive about Che Guevara or a hemp leave. As for short skirts and the like, that's probably the most ridiculous of all dress codes. Teachers aren't stupid. They know that teenagers have sex. The national average for having your first time sex in Switzerland is around 16,1 for girls and 16.9 for guys. It's probably quite similar in the US. So everyone knows their students/children/etc. are perhaps having sex already or they at least KNOW about it (they flirt, make out, watch porn etc.). It's simply natural, there's nothing wrong with it! So why shouldn't girls be able to play with this part of life and show some skin in school? What's wrong with naked legs? Patronizing conservatives usually say it keeps students from concentrating. I disagree. First of all, the majority of girls is smart enough to know how much is too much. I doubt that any girl would come to school completely naked even if it was allowed. Secondly, personally, girls dressing in a hot way always had the opposite effect on me. Because I found them hot, I wanted to impress them. And what's a better way to impress a girl than showing her that you're smart and good at school?

What Guys Said 3

• BS... we don't live in 19th century... gosh :S

• I find it strange the places that require girls to be in skirts, that seems a bit wrong, but dress codes in general are ridiculous to me.

• Be a rebel and bring that skirt up just a little past the required length ;)

What Girls Said 4

• I think they can be a bit too strict at times.

• I don't know. When i was still in school i wear a uniform. But yea the skirt have to be knee length, i never followed that rule though.

• Some from my school are ridiculous.

• Some of them are okay. You can't dress however you want in school because it's not appropriate.