Gun Control, Yay or Nay?

I'm so against it.

One, it's the goventment exerting a little too much power for my tastes.

Two, it won't stop bad people from killing people. They can use bombs made from household ingredients or knives.

Bad people will get a hold of guns if they want them badly enough. You've tried outlawing (some) drugs yet people still get a hold of them.

But what's your opinion?

• Yay
  • Nay
  • Don't care

Most Helpful Guy

• I live in a country with the near-total prohibition of guns, and I am against prohibition. The result is that peaceful people don't have guns but the gangsters do.

The police cannot protect you against crime while it is happening except in rare cases of coincidence, unless... we have a police state. And, in a police state, we would be at risk of governmental violence, which is no better than private violence.

What Guys Said 14

• Gun control is something that can not be practically implemented in the US. While I'm all for proving you aren't a psycho before you can get a gun, actually controlling gun owners is something that just isn't happening here.

• Nay.

Every study on the subject (that wasn't paid for by or conducted by an anti-gun organization) demonstrates that it doesn't work, never has worked and never will work, including in the UK and Australia despite anti-gun rhetoric.

• Thanks for your opinion.

• No opinion really because there is no gun culture in Ireland so gun control laws would be redundant.

• I love guns and I love shooting them. Rules should be put into place and I honestly think everyone should be educated about guns.

That being said I also belive in rules and restrictions on guns. I'm not gunna go into details, I could right a book about my view on guns, don't want to type that much.

• We have more than enough rules and restrictions on guns thank you.

• Not educated enough * @gotc147

• Seems you're among the people needing to be educated.

20,000 laws on the books, that's plenty, a lot of them don't even make any sense like a rifle barrel needing to be at least 16 inches long and sound suppressors being so difficult to acquire, can't buy a handgun in a state other than the one you live in etc. The important laws, like against straw purchasing or trafficking, aren't enforced, which is where most of the problem lies.

We in the gun community are not willing to even entertain the idea of new restrictions until we have rigorous enforcement of the ones we already have, and even then we're not going to accept new restrictions without having some of the stupider ones repealed.

• i'd like 2 own a gun basically... ialthough i'd not kill others... i just find it kewl 8)

• Thanks for your opinion.

• If we could get rid of all the guns on earth that'd be great, but since that's not possible, I want to have one too. I have the ability to protect myself, in any situation. I'm not a big guy, a gun levels the playing field for me

• Thanks for your honesty.

• You're right, bad people will still be bad people. For that reason the focus should be on law enforcement. When that is fixed, nobody should need a gun anymore.

• I need a gun to catch venison...

• No, I need my dad's gun to shoot deer. You want me to use a knife and sneak up behind it? Maybe dig a pit and hope it walks into it? Maybe I can use a hunting bow (which are extremely hard for someone like me to operate.) No, I say I need my gun and law enforcment officals have nothing to do with it. Guns aren't all pocket sized. Some of us have real big guns for hunting.

• I still need a gun, or actually a few guns, for doing sports, no matter how safe anything will ever be.

• I do shooting as a sport and in my country there are really strict regulations regarding guns which really piss many of those who do shooting sport off.
    I am totally against gun control,
    there is absolutely no use for it,
    if someone wants to commit a crime he will just get his gun on the black market and be happy. Look at the UK, they outlawed guns in the 90s, by now there are far more crimes involving guns than back then.

• Thanks for your opinion.

• Gun controls has worked in every country that enforces it. I don't know why we assume it can't work in the US.

• It will 'work', but I'm against it because of my rights. I don't mind going through rigorous screening to own a gun (just to make sure I'm not going to hurt someone unnecessarily,) but they want to take a away my right to own a gun altogether.

Back during the revolutionary war, I'm very bad at history so bare with me, Europe took away our guns so we couldn't rebel. Now, the goverwmnt wants to also.

• "I choose to stay in my country and make it safer by taking away death machines."

"I'd rather have an unnecessary right taken away then worry about getting gunned down in a public place."

You're tripping over your own lies, you clearly and inescapably said, TWICE, that you want to "take away" our guns, so stop lying.

You've demonstrated that you, like most anti-gunners, are completely ignorant of the issue and run on emotion, primarily fear. You believe the rhetoric when well-respected sources have found that at best, gun control has only had a slight positive effect on suicide prevention and done nothing for homicide. I can only wonder if one day you'll join the majority of Americans and support gun rights or if you'll remain in the ever-marginalizing minority.

• I never said I want to take away your guns, learn to read with context. I said "You are paranoid that I want to take your guns away". That doesn't mean I actually want to take them away, I was trying to explain that you assume that is what every liberal wants. And saying I run on emotions is the pot calling the kettle black. You're the ones who are terrified that taking away one death machine can somehow magically lead to all guns being banned. It's called a slippery slope argument and it never works. As for the evidence of gun control working, I've seen plenty of evidence from the examples set by other countries with strict gun control laws: Germany, Japan, France, Britain, Sweden. Those countries have freakishly low violent crime rates and have strict gun control laws. Gun control is just one part to making society safer, there is no blanket solution but we need to start piece by piece to make America safer.

• Gun control is needed so bad for American police

• Guns forever, but if I were in a country that bans guns, I'd be like meh, no guns then.

• I'm for gun control

• www.melbourneinstitute.com/.../wp2008n17.pdf

Might want to reconsider your position.

• Actually, chances are you've been taught your whole life to be conservative. You have yet to question your biases and assumptions.

• Nope, grew up in the suburbs of Boston to a single mother who called Bush a dictator on more than one occasion, says Republicans are for the rich and all the bells and whistles.

Doesn't really matter however, gun control is a proven failure policy-wise, it has literally never worked anywhere at any point in history despite the rhetoric. The list of anti-gun activists who are forced to admit they're wrong keeps growing with George Stepenopolus being the latest to abandon the lost cause.

In the US, the war on guns has been fought and resolved, your side lost, you're just taking it really hard.

• Problem is people are fucking irresponsible regarding keeping guns safe.
    It only takes one lunatic and a couple of shitty parents to make a school shooting possible.
    And accidents happen all the time.

More guns doesn't equal more safety.

www.eurthisnthat.com/.../gun-mouth_480x480.jpg

• It takes only 10 minutes in most cities to get a gun around the corner, no matter the laws, therefore the lunatic will do his crazy shit anyway.

• The explain why the phenomenon is practically non-existant in Europe .
      Does the U. S. have a much greater proportion of kids who are mentally unstable?
      Are European kids more capable in dealing with conflicts?
      Or is it the fact that gun access in the U. S. have become the elephant in the room that nobody talks about, because it has just always been there?

www.psmag.com/.../school-shootings-whats-different-europe-93223

• I would venture a guess that psychos in Europe are committed and removed from society until they are rehabilitated, whereas here in the US, thanks to liberals, we can't do that.

Also, when we think of European gun control we think of countries like France, England and Germany, not so much Switzerland, Finland and Israel where guns are commonplace.

Spree shooters stop their rampage once they meet resistance, there are several documented cases where what could have been mass shootings were stopped by people who had guns legally, the answer to school shootings is some type of armed security or allowing those who have the legal authority to carry guns on school grounds, or both.

Mass shootings are a rare occurrence, everybody admits this except gun grabbers, the reason our gun homicide rate is so high is because the big cities, which are almost always run by liberals, refuse to go after the gangs and so gangbangers kill other gangbangers. This doesn't justify restrictions my freedom.

• Archie Bunker said it best:

https://youtu.be/GzFWRPiNXOI

• Thanks for the laugh.

What Girls Said 3

• New York state (USA) recently tried to force people to simply register their firearms, and that didn't even work. They can pry my guns from my cold, dead fingers. Some of the things my forefathers fought and died for were my freedoms to speak my mind, worship (or not worship) whomever I choose, and to defend myself against all others... including a tyrannical governing body. So, no... they can't control guns. They can't even control themselves or their spending. What they need to focus on instead is helping those who are struggling with mental illness.

• I don't really care.

• Thanks for not having an opinion.

• but restricting guns means *fewer* people who want to do bad things will get a hold of them, God willing.

I live in an area where a ton of people have guns - I've shot, my stepdad and uncle have them at home, etc. I don't care how many people could potentially protect me with their concealed carry weapons if someone started shooting, which is one argument for allowing easy access to gun purchase. Fine, but I would rather know that almost anyone with a gun has passed some kind of restriction test/background check (and safety training!) - and then concealed carry away!
    restriction =/= "taking our guns"

not sure what else to add.

• Massachusetts heavily restricted guns in the 90s and as of 2012 their murder rate has doubled.

Disarming innocent people doesn't protect innocent people.

• I know - I live in a gun culture-heavy area. That's why I feel uncomfortable with people possessing firearms without significant training. Example - I can shoot and relatively well but I don't feel comfortable in a non-range situation with a gun.

• Well that's you, nobody is forcing you to carry a gun outside of a range.

But the reality is we're all innocent until proven guilty, you're just going to have to trust people to be responsible.