I feel guilty going to church. Any advice?

I'm knowingly sinning. I have an addiction and right before I was about to repent I crashed hard. Now I feel guilty going to church because I know I'm going to keep sinning. I'm not ready to give this sin up yet. And sitting and listening to all the righteous council will just make me feel worse and probably bitter. What should I do? I know the right thing to do is go but I just feel like crap and I want to hide.

Most Helpful Guy

• You should not feel guilt for seeking redemption if you're a sinner. That's what you're supposed to do, seek redemption.

• Thanks you're right. I guess I feel guilty though because I don't want to seek redemption yet... does that make sense?

What Guys Said 11

• The only thing you should worry about is hurting yourself and others. That can happen if you're addicted to drugs or alcohol.

forget about the sinning. That's only religion.

cdn.whisper.sh/...99657539fd76f1d9e9c07a2b7-wm.jpg

• A live without sin is an illussion don't forget that!! Talking with a spiritual leader or if you don't feel comfortable about that with a friend can help... there are online also places to get help if preferred anonymous

• Thanks. I think talking to a leader will help :)

• Good luck! God bless you!

• I don't like the emphasis on guilt and sin that many churches place on their followers. I would avoid that kind of place if you're trying to recover. Go to an AA meeting or talk to someone who will actually listen and not condemn.

• We thankfully no one really condemns in church... that's God's job. They're pretty loving and they would listen. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to go there yet though.

• How can stealing be more constructive than destructive?

• If a man steals medicine to save his wife, as with the Heinz dilemma: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_dilemma

• Stop going to church. You shouldn't need anyone to tell you the difference between right and wrong. And keep in mind that these church people are no more or less human that you. Don't elevate them above you because you are just as good as them.

• I agree no one is better than anyone else. It's more a personal thing though. I have high standards for myself and when I don't meet them... well I feel terrible.

• "I have high standards for myself and when I don't meet them... well I feel terrible."

This is good. See? You don't need a church to give you even more crap when you already have the right attitude.

Remember: Jesus can hear you just as fine whether you are in church, in your home, in Antartica, on Mars, or hanging out in galaxy EGS-zs8-1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGS-zs8-1)

• Stupid text editor here at G@G...
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGS-zs8-1

• by visiting some church won't make any major difference actually... so y afraid? :-)

• One thing that perpetuates addiction is self-loathing, so the whole concept of sin seems rather idiotic to me.

• I think you misunderstand the concept of sin then. It's not supposed to make you hate yourself. Each one of us has a conscious that helps us determine right or wrong. When we "do wrong" or sin, we feel guilty. This guilt helps us to have a desire to repent and feel good again.

• That's good :) I should probably just talk to someone about it.

• Thanks :) Maybe... Feel free to pm me if you want to chat about it. I'm off to bed now, though :)

• Everybody that goes to church consciously sins, nobody can go even a hour without sinning. Going to church will help you, maybe join a support group at the church, find good friends that will help you, pray, read your bible, ask for others to pray for you.

• Yeah thanks. The problem is that I know how to get back on the right track but I just keep stopping myself from doing so because the sinning is a but addictive.

• *bit

• Ya it's hard maybe get some help or get someone to stay with you 24/7 until you kick the addiction, message me if you want to talk more about it if love to help

• 18-24 is old enough to make a choice and stick with it.
    Either embrace whatever you're doing or don't but the stressing has got to stop!

• Live your own life, don't cling to some book.

• It's not a book I cling too, it's God. But obviously I'm not doing that currently since I haven't been to church.

• Are you an atheist?

• I don't like labels.

• God doesn't exist you moron

• Weather he does or not is sort of irrelevant. I guess my real question is wether or not I should allow myself to fall into this addiction or try to quit.

• Why'd you bring him up in the first place if he's irrelevant. Can you not make choices without saying his name

• Well I would say go and talk to people maybe they can help u depending what the addiction is

What Girls Said 3

• I feel like a lot of religious people use God as a get of jail free card sometimes, it's like they can "sin" and then get forgiven so they can continue to "sin", to me it's all fake and the entire concept doesn't make sense. I don't believe in "sin", we're people, we make mistakes we should learn from them and grow from them, not spend our lives regretting/repenting the small stupid things. In my opinion you should focus on getting yourself better and fixing whatever is making you feel bad about yourself and not so much on the "sin" or guilt aspect of it, get better because you want to, not because you think you should. And if going to church is what helps you then do that or look for people who support you.

• We all knowingly sin. And God knows that we do. He wants us to turn to him for guidance. Maybe talk to someone in the church about it. Or even outside of the church. They have all kinds of groups and stuff. And you should never feel guilty in church.

• dont go if you dont wan to.