How do you feel about the saying "get over it"?

Whenever something has happened in your life, whether it was a break up, loss, or death, people will often tell the person "get over it" because they don't know how to listen. While the person should move forward, is telling someone "get over it" really helpful advice? perhaps listening and trying to see the other persons perspective may be a way to let that person know that the world isn't so cruel and there are good people in the world who are open minded people and are considerate of other peoples feelings which can get many people to open up to you..

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends, if someone is constantly bitching about something that can't be changed (like being short), then 'get over it' is what they're getting and what they should do.
    Telling a person who lost someone to 'get over it' isn't acceptable in my opinion.

• If someone complains about being short, it just reveals their insecurities. .. I think the best advice would be to tell them just to accept it after all we can't completely change who we are...

• Then it's best to avoid them... you don't want to be around negative people... lifes to short to be unhappy all the time

• Agreed. But that's when 'get the fuck over it' comes into play.

What Girls Said 5

• Not everything is easy to just "get over." It's hard and you can't always see things in black and white. When people say "get over it" they are usually looking at things from that perspective. I use that advice once in a while, but some things you just can't get over.

• That's pretty rude and inconsiderate and insensitive to say. I just don't mope around people who have no sympathy

• It's annoying. It's what lazy people say... it's very hard to get over something. But, of the person is constantly bitching about it then yeah, they have to get over it.

• Fkn annoying. Like I just opened up to you about my troubles and your like 'it's not a big deal, get over it'. So then I refuse to talk about my deeper troubles because of things like that

• I say it all the time to people

What Guys Said 2

• sometimes i gfind it funny tbh o_O

• Depends on the context in which it is used.