Do you think I should hold someone eating whale against them?

This woman told me when she was in Iceland she ate whale, and seemed to think there was nothing wrong with it when she did. Iceland violates IWC moratoriums that almost every country on earth obeys, and I think that's incredibly ignorant that someone would go there and eat it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, it certainly says something about her. That she's a bit ignorant, if nothing else. It would be like visiting Rwanda and coming home with gorilla hand ashtrays. It's stupid tourist bullshit that people in other countries think is perfectly okay and they are entitled to do it since they spent the money to travel there. It's this mentality that what they do in another country is fine, as long as they don't pull bullshit in their own country.

I wouldn't hold it against her so much as I would probably question her decision making. Also, everyone is deserving of second chances if they screw up, and maybe she didn't know at the time what she was doing was against the ban and ate at a restaurant and didn't know. She could have also been pressured by a restaurateur that it was okay when it isn't. It all depends on her situation. If she knows now and tells you she was wrong and shouldn't have done it, then maybe just drop it.

What Girls Said 5

• No, you shouldn't. Why shouldn't people in Iceland be able to eat whale?

• There are bans on commercial whaling and trade. Iceland is one of a few countries that disobeys the ban.

• ... in your opinion.

• @Ozanne Exactly. Neither of our opinions matter. It's their country, so it's their choice.

• So YOU are going to let "randoms" like US here on GAG decide how to feel?
    No offence, but that's really sad dude :(

• Are whales endangered? If so.. You should hold it against her because that's unacceptable.

• No, maybe she likes to eat whale. I admit I don't like the idea but, I wouldn't care.

• It probably was out of ignorance, but you can hold that against her, or just educate her on why it's a bigger deal than she realizes. She probably saw it as a part of the tourist experience of going to Iceland, but wasn't thinking about how it promotes and supports the commercial whaling industry there.

What Guys Said 4

• Sorry, but this is a stupid question. For one why ask random people how you should feel when you're going to feel how you want regardless of what we say. Second I understand about why whaling is wrong, but at the same time who are we to stop another country from doing it? The sad fact is as long as Iceland allows it we can't do anything about it. I mean I hate how Asians can make jewelry out of LIVE animals, but there's nothing I or anyone outside their country can do.

• That's how people used to eat. We are on the top of the food chain. We eat what we need to survive. It's ignorant for her to eat Whale? I think it's ignorant to tell her what animals she can am can't eat.

• Whale is good Brah. You gotta chill.

• I'd try it for sure